Blackmage

Let's play "What the heck is that squeak?"!!

So I have a squeak while driving, speed sensitive and coming from the drivers side rear.  I noticed it last fall, and my rear brakes were about 6 years old, so i decided just to replace everything.  Replace calipers, pads, rotors and I still had the squeak.  When we had the car jacked up I noticed i had about 3/4" inch play in the axle, in/out movement.  So i tore down the differential and put in new clutch packs and that tightened everything up. I also replaced the axle bearings on the end of the axle tubes. The squeak is still present to this day.  I have also swapped out rims within this time and the squeak is still there.   I put in tubular rear control arms too, not that it should change anything, but the squeak is still there afterwards too.  The only thing I have come to the conclusion of is possibly a bent axle?  The car still seems to drive fine down the road, no big random vibrations, when I brake it does go away with some decent pressure onto the brake pedal.  

Kind of at a loss here, I dont want to order a new axle and still not fix the stupid issue, but then again it cant hurt im sure.

thats about my only guess at this point too. What could cause a bent axle though, as far as I know I have not hit anything hah, and it was there before I did an autocross that year too.

mine had a little squeak when i had bent axle shafts. one way to tell is just by driving and adjusting your mirror towards your wheels in the rear....unless you have a micrometer. i could easily tell my shafts were bent though by seeing them wobble in the side view mirrors. couldn't feel anything at all but def seen it. 

mine had a little squeak when i had bent axle shafts. one way to tell is just by driving and adjusting your mirror towards your wheels in the rear....unless you have a micrometer. i could easily tell my shafts were bent though by seeing them wobble in the side view mirrors. couldn't feel anything at all but def seen it. 

hmm, ill take a look tonight after work

thats about my only guess at this point too. What could cause a bent axle though, as far as I know I have not hit anything hah, and it was there before I did an autocross that year too.

once you pull an oem axle shaft you'll see why they bend so easily lol. like little gay broomsticks :P get some jegs performance shafts....they look and feel beefy. never had a problem with mine after installing on both ends. 

U joint maybe?

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Nah it's def coming from the drivers side brake. Not sure why it's happening though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vyja9y6u.jpg

I'm thinking I'll actually put it on the rotor instead, it'll be a little more accurate compared to the face of the wheel I think. Just need to get my dial indicator back...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well after messing around with the rear end, I pulled the axle and it was straight.  The only thing I can think of is that rust was building up between the face of the axle and the backside of the rotor causing it to not sit flush and then causing it to touch the caliper bracket when it turned.  I cleaned off as much of the axle face as I could and also carved a little bit out of the bracket just in case it wanted to hit again.  Hopefully tonight I will have it back on the ground and we can see if that helped.

You ain't got this fixed yet?

I got working on it last night, got the pinion sleeve crushed and back together, and then painted the brake stuff, and my buddy stopped over with his 05 GT and we wrenched on that. lol tonight @Psychorugby, tonight!