Dysturbed87

Steering Rack Bushings

Saturday I went to drive the stang before it goes back into storage and the steering was really weird. The steering wheel had to be turned about 1/4 either way for the car to be driving straight. Come to find out the steering rack bushings are gone. They disintegrated and it is just the bolts/sleeve that are keeping the steering rack on the k-member. I want over the car before mustang week and the bushing were all there.

Now the questions...

1) How long are urethane bushings supposed to last?

2) What would cause urethane bushing to completely disintegrate over a week? They were on the car for about 6 years/37k miles

3) Are prothane bushings better/worst than energy suspension? Same quality?

4) Are there other options for bushing material for use in a UPR k-member?

5) For replacements should I use offset or center whole bushings? Offset was on there and that is what UPR supplied

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I have had the urethane bushings (hotchkins lower control arms) in two different cars, with severe track beatings and over 120k miles on them.  I can tell you that they dont just disintegrate.  something is definitely wrong.  

Energy suspension is pretty good company and their ratings are fairly high.  I dont think its an issue with the product.  Dont offset unless you need it. I think you should take a hard look at the rest of the setup in addition to the bushings - somthing sounds like it is seriously wrong.  

can you show us any pics of the pieces of the material that is left?

1) longer than rubber that's for sure
2) very very strange
3) same quality, just different companys
4) should be able to use solid bushings
5) offset if that's what the k-member came with

I will definitely get some pictures of what's left. The car isn't driven much, it is stored in my garage most of the year and really hasn't been driven in two years. I start it two times a month and drive it through the neighborhood during one of the start ups. All suspension parts that need to move when turning turn without binding or anything (checked it before mustang week). No nuts/bolts are loose.

I was looking at solid bushings, but all the ones I see state they are either to be used in the stock kmember or mm kmember.

What da fug?!

I am there with you. They were all there before I went to mustang week, but they have now gone missing.

Does anyone know what parts could cause the rack bushings to be worn so quickly (ie. ball joints, tie rods, etc)? Anyone think Myrtle beach was hot enough to melt them...lol, I'm kidding.

what about just going to a solid rack bushing?

I was thinking of this, buy any solid bushing I find says they will only work on the stock kmember or the maximum motorsports one.

What solid bushings do you all recommend? How much more NVH will solid bushings make? Also, since the ones that came with the kmember were offset the solid ones would need to be too

I wonder if you can drill out a solid bushing to fit that bolt? I have Steeda solid bushings. They're offset. I didn't notice a difference in NVH. But I still have the stock steering shaft. I went from oil soaked stock rubber bushings to the solid and it made a big difference in response.

That is pretty impressive.  I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that because of the offset nature of the urethane bushings, it wore through the thin part of the bushings, then the rest of it just rolled around and destroyed itself as you drove the car and turned the wheel until it fell out.  Unless you need the offset for oil pan clearance or something then I would stick with center drilled bushings and fix any bumpsteer issues with a bumpsteer kit.  I'd also give MM a shout and see if they have some solid bushings that would be compatible with the UPR K.  The NVH increase with the solid bushings is neglible and they really help the steering feel.

I was kind of thinking the thin part got worn too and that was the downfall. It just baffles me because the car was daily driven with this setup for years and there wasn't an issue, but when I drive it for a week at maybe 1k miles this happens.

I'm just glad that I was driving through my neighborhood when the steering became loose.

I will give MM a call and see if they have anything. I've had a Steeda bump steer kit on there since the kmember was installed. So if all else fails maybe I will just use standard poly bushings.