01yellercobra

Moving the radiator

I did it in my car.  Deleted the A/C, pulled the condensor, drilled oversized holes further forward in the core support and inserted some rubber grommets.  The lower posts of the radiator sat in those and I made some new upper mounts out of sheet aluminum.  Not a bad job, but make sure you've got a good drill and drill bit for the core support.

I did it in my car.  Deleted the A/C, pulled the condensor, drilled oversized holes further forward in the core support and inserted some rubber grommets.  The lower posts of the radiator sat in those and I made some new upper mounts out of sheet aluminum.  Not a bad job, but make sure you've got a good drill and drill bit for the core support.

i might have to do this.  it's really tight in the front of mine with the blower belt.  always a pain to get in there to work.

I'm not enough of a race car to delete the A/C. I still make long trips and use it. I'll be under the car tonight finishing the half shafts. I'll start poking around the radiator while I'm there.

I know what you mean.  It was an easy choice for me though.  When I installed my turbo kit, the turbo itself was hitting the A/C lines and there was no amount of bending that was going to make them clear unfortunately, so I had to delete the A/C.  Time crunches to make tuning appointments make you do stupid things.  In retrospect I wish I had pushed the tuning appointment and had some custom A/C lines made to clear the turbo and just found a kick-ass slimline fan for the radiator.

Lack of A/C doesn't bother me so much, I NEVER used it, but I have a hard time convincing my wife that we should take the car on a trip that is much longer than across town if it is just barely a little warm out.  She loves her air-conditioning.

Must be a turbo thing. We installed a Hellion on a 97 GT and he ended up cutting out the A/C lines to clear the pipes. I think a slim fan would be enough, but I want something that works like factory. That's probably my one thing I'm anal about. I don't want to have to think about anything other then controlling the car when I'm driving. Plus I don't have to give special instructions when someone else drives it.

Forgot about this thread. Since I had to pull the engine I checked out how much room I had to move the radiator. Turns out I have none. The radiator is already against the support. Might be the difference between the SN95 and new edges.

Forgot about this thread. Since I had to pull the engine I checked out how much room I had to move the radiator. Turns out I have none. The radiator is already against the support. Might be the difference between the SN95 and new edges.

It sits on the engine side of the core support. You can physically move it forward into the core support and you will gain the room you need.

It sits on the engine side of the core support. You can physically move it forward into the core support and you will gain the room you need.

I'm sure I could if i cut the support. The radiator is level with the top of the support. I'm going to look into slim fans before I start cutting things.

Before someone thinks I'm retarded I do know theres a difference between the SN95 and new edge mounts. I bought a Mishimoto radiator out of a 96. When I dropped it into my car the mounts didn't line up at all. It sat quite a bit lower then my stocker. So there are differences.

I'm sure I could if i cut the support. The radiator is level with the top of the support. I'm going to look into slim fans before I start cutting things.

Before someone thinks I'm retarded I do know theres a difference between the SN95 and new edge mounts. I bought a Mishimoto radiator out of a 96. When I dropped it into my car the mounts didn't line up at all. It sat quite a bit lower then my stocker. So there are differences.

you have to remember when deviating from stock you may have to fabricate some new mounts or figure an alterative mounting method. if you take the old bottom rubber mounts out of the original lower brackets you can drill two holes in the lower support to drop them into this will give you the clearance up top. only problem youll run into is the filler neck for the rad but you can use an inline filler.