kellogg

INTAKE AIR TEMP SENSOR LOCATION

IM DOING SOME PLUMBING FOR A TWIN TURBO SET UP.. ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS AN IDEAL LOCATION FOR INTAKE AIR TEMP SENSOR TO BE? ANYWHERE AFTER THE INTERCOOLER? RIGHT BEFORE THROTTLE BODY? BEFORE MAF?

Is that a question or statement? Absolutely best spot would be in an intake runner but sometimes that isn't possible. Where does combustion happen? In the cylinder head. So if you're changing values to impact afr, you want the intake temp to give you the temp right before it enters the combustion chamber

I am adding one to my gauges since they are easily expandable.  I plan on using it for tuning necessarily as much as just to see/know.  I am using a cobra intake and made a block off plate for the EGR and just put a hole in there to use for the temp probe.  Not sure how great of a spot it is but I wanted it down wind from the meth spout which is right in front of the tb as it was recommended so my temp probe is right after tb. 

no im not adding additional sensors.. just trying to make sure i locate the factory ford sensor in the correct (or best) position...as well as wondering what purpose it serves to the fuel injection system... but i do suppose having a gauge to monitor temps would be a useful tool as well

yea..thats what i was wondering really.. i had a procharger set up previously and they had it about 8" before MAF.. whether that was more correct or for ease of assembly i dont know for sure. but since i am building this one from the ground up and can easily change locations i wanted to know if one option was better than another.. without knowing the exact science of it i am with you in thinking the maf and iat should be in close proximity and prob as close to throttle blade as possible

When I installed my KB i relocated mine to the fox body location which is in the lower intake manifold just before the cylinder, it's the most accurate place because you're getting the temp of the air right before it enters the engine.  I switched to the fox sensor too which is metal instead of our quality plastic one.

the problem with a manifold mounted sensor is that the body of it will heat soak and skew readings. I switched to a 6 wire HPX (slot) maf which has the IAT incorporated in it. In my experience, as long as the IAT is after the intercooler (assuming a non-chemical intercooler such as meth). When the car is at WOT, the actual air speed is so great that the difference in location post cooler is basically irrelevant.

the problem with a manifold mounted sensor is that the body of it will heat soak and skew readings. I switched to a 6 wire HPX (slot) maf which has the IAT incorporated in it. In my experience, as long as the IAT is after the intercooler (assuming a non-chemical intercooler such as meth). When the car is at WOT, the actual air speed is so great that the difference in location post cooler is basically irrelevant.

Ah good point, guess I didn't think about the air speed flowing in, especially if he's boosting. Good point.