AZSN95SNAKE

GT500 finned diff cover rubbing issues?

Hey guys, I recently installed a ford GT500 finned differential cover because it has the fill and drain bolts on the cover. And by recently I mean a few hours ago. So the silicone is still curing. I have not poured any fluids in yet, so it is still on stands.

Anyways from the looks of it, it looks like the cover is going to rub the spare wheel well. It definitely protrudes into the wheel well area and I haven't even put the car on the ground yet.

I found a thread where a few had to massage the wheel well area. Is this a bad idea? I really do not want to spend another couple hundred on a lower profile cover as I've been waiting to drive this car for 2 months now.

2ng99a0.jpg

But it sure does look pretty!

wso7dx.jpg

I acquired a diff cover, I forgot what brand it is, maybe ford racing, idk, but it self ckesranced itself on my spare tire well. I'd be proactive with something pretty like that with a hammer

I acquired a diff cover, I forgot what brand it is, maybe ford racing, idk, but it self ckesranced itself on my spare tire well. I'd be proactive with something pretty like that with a hammer

Yeah, it looks nice and would like it to stay looking nice. I don't think that much clearance is needed, at least I hope not. Do you by chance remember how much clearance you ended up with? I'm wondering how I'm gonna go about it.

I would think that milling the fins down where they would hit the spare tire well would do the trick.

If a mill isn't accessible, a belt sander will do the trick too.

i had to clearance mine too for my svo cover, your cover should be the lower profile if its the finned shelbly one, as they have a panhard bar they have to clear, how low is your car ?that plays alot to do with this clearance

I would think that milling the fins down where they would hit the spare tire well would do the trick.

If a mill isn't accessible, a belt sander will do the trick too.

That's what I am thinking but yeah I don't have either of those tools. I wonder how bad it would look using a grinder. Also, the part right in the center where it is stamped FORD, is area that protrudes the most. I don't really want to beat up the wheel well but that seems to be my only choice.

i had to clearance mine too for my svo cover, your cover should be the lower profile if its the finned shelbly one, as they have a panhard bar they have to clear, how low is your car ?that plays alot to do with this clearance

Did you just take a hammer to the spare wheel well? Yeah its the finned shelby cover, so you are correct they do have a panhard bar to clear. However, I'm thinking they must have more room in that area. Its decently low. A little less than an inch of clearance all the way around. I have adjustable control arms but I definitely do not want to raise it any higher.

I acquired a diff cover off of a 02 exploder irs for the bronco.

A lot more room to work with there.

I'm gonna have to go that route I guess. Wish I would have found out about this issue when I researched it. I would have bought the Ford racing girdle with no fins. Thanks for all the input fellas!