Brian

Stereo Headunit & Speaker Recommendations

I'm looking for some single din stereo headunit suggestions. I have always been an Alpine consumer and have one picked out but just wanted to see what yall suggest. Same goes for speakers.

I am not getting a dual din setup nor will I ever run subwoofers.

I'm an Alpine guy to and currently on the hunt myself, curious to see what you get. I am just debating the single vs double din issue right now.

I previously had a kenwood and it sucked. I now have a Boss Audio headunit and love it. My only complaint is the volume knob is a bit annoying.

As far as speakers, I don't see the point of upgrading them unless you're going with the whole audio package. Stock speakers are great. (Assuming you have the mach 460).

Edited by Ferocious

Ive got panasonic, always been good to me, alpine is good shit as well

I was also going to suggest Panasonic, it's actually the unit that's in my Mustang right now but real old and ready for it's replacement.

Edit: I don't think Panasonic makes CD receivers anymore. Just tried to look them up.

Edited by Steve-Oh

I don't even know what I have in there now. I have something really expensive that I picked up used for $80. I don't see a need for new speakers if you have a Mach 460. A new head unit on the Mach 460 makes a world of difference. You just have to get one of those adapters that runs like $50.

Kurt

no $50 adaptor needed.... They will sell it too yo if you will buy it but there is more the one way to skin a cat.

Right I agree but which way is the more simple route. $50 for plug 'n play is worth it to me then to try and cut & splice.

Sent from Space

I'm not talking about cutting and splicing. If you want to use the 4 way speaker outlets on a standard DIN radio, you need a converter to adapt amplified sound back to signal.

Kurt

No ya don't.......... The people selling those $50 hrns's will tell you that but it is fine with out them. Ford/JBL use a really hot/high voltage signal as an input to the amps. They basically just take the speaker level out and feed it into the amps, you can do the same thing with your deck and not have any problems. Using the RCA outputs on the deck will give better sound but you would either need a deck with a high voltage output or a little box called a line driver.

I know because I started off installing at one of those places that sold the $50 hrns and I was told, just like I did my customers, that you HAVE to get this...... Done more systems with out them then I have with now years later and never had an issue.

When I started installing, my 94 was new. The first alarm I ever installed was in that car and I got in/out of that stereo to a point that most people never will. As they said a new deck will make a big difference but save yourself the $50 hrns.

No ya don't.......... The people selling those $50 hrns's will tell you that but it is fine with out them. Ford/JBL use a really hot/high voltage signal as an input to the amps. They basically just take the speaker level out and feed it into the amps, you can do the same thing with your deck and not have any problems. Using the RCA outputs on the deck will give better sound but you would either need a deck with a high voltage output or a little box called a line driver.

I know because I started off installing at one of those places that sold the $50 hrns and I was told, just like I did my customers, that you HAVE to get this...... Done more systems with out them then I have with now years later and never had an issue.

When I started installing, my 94 was new. The first alarm I ever installed was in that car and I got in/out of that stereo to a point that most people never will. As they said a new deck will make a big difference but save yourself the $50 hrns.

I only tried it once this way and didn't have any luck getting it to sound right. Maybe when this converter dies I'll give it a go and see if I can get it right.

Kurt

the reason the converter makes it sound bad is just because of how its been ran. First the deck amplifies the signal the signal where just like any amp it collects noise. Then it comes out of the deck and is transmitted to the converter which does the exact opposit fo the amp and knocks the signal back down. just like any electrical part, it collects a little more noise as well as when it is now transmitted down the wire all the way to the amp. Now that signal that has collected noise from two different electrical pieces that ended up basically canelling each other out. That will raise you signal-to-noise ratio pretty badly which just means that for every point of signal output that is amplified there will be an a portion of the noises collected that gets amplified just as much as the signal. Now finally, the ford/jbl amps are not known to be a sound quality line that doesn't have much noise in it, it also adds noise while finally doing the final amplification before going to your speakers.

What that all means is that after put the adaptor on it, the woofers will be noisey and distorting long before the tweeters are ready to do that.