javorm1

Bama tunes

Anyone else have issues with their Bama tunes? Mainly on the chips vs the hand helds or email tunes.

I have sent my chip back 3 times for issues with the tune and only changed the cam to a trick flow stage one. First time trans would not shift and last 2 times had check engine light and would not idle without babying the gas. Last time ran super rich. 

I finally decided to setup a dyno session in September to hopefully get my car tuned. 

I did a heads/cam swap years ago and hoped that the computer would not need the tune but of course just trickflow 170s and a stage 1 cam needed it.  I tried bama and even though all the options I had done to the motor were it drop down menus it came running super lean to where our eyes were watering 6ft out of the garage.  I said F-it and limped it to a dyno and it drove perfect after that.  

I've wasted the last 4 weeks send back and waiting for a new chip only to be disappointed again and again.  I am honestly excited to get the car dyno tuned at Alternative Auto Performance. September can't get here soon enough.  

I have heard way more bad then good about them, unfortunately just a little too late.  The only joy I got from the whole thing was scratching "SUCKS" on the little metal plaque they give your right after their name/logo and putting it on my tool box.

To be honest. I had the chip in my car for a bit, and it ran pretty decent.  When I swapped in the trick flow stage one cam they "recommended" a reflash on the chip.  It never ran right with each new reflash.  It runs ok without the chip, but it will run way better after the dyno tune. 

Oddly enough I have been running a tune from them in my 96 cobra for 5 years or so. Never an issue. Granted the car hasnt been driven much the past year. But prior to that.

Granted I am using a Livewire TS. I wouldnt use the chip really if I ever had to. That thing is a massive pain in the ass.

These cars have very simple computers and I can bet the tunes have not changed much, if at all, since 5+ years ago. Just not worth it to look into updating anything on our cars tune wise. Just not needed. 

If you are going FI I would say deff find a shop near you that has a good reputation if you need to use a chip and cant tune via email with another company. 

I ran their chip for a couple years and it seemed to run pretty good. When I installed the trick flow stage one cam they recommended a reflash. I never did run the car on the original chip so I don't know how it would have ran. I sent 3 chip back to them and all had issues. Last 2 chip I couldn't even get the car to idle without babying the gas. My car is OBD1 and requires a chip in order to tune it. I found a good tuner in my area and now I'm just waiting for September to get here. Waiting sux. 

Time to learn how to datalog and read whats going on.  It may not be the tune at all and could be an issue with the car.  Like @Evilcw311 said, no two cars are the same, and if theres an issue with the car, it'll be a bear to tune.

Update: 

I ended up buying another chip from American Muscle. They couldn't give me a refund because my card had updated since the purchase and would only give me credit. The dyno tune was going to cost me $700 and I needed something to get me thru Woodward. I recently purchased a new daily that consumes most of my extra funds in could spent on the mustang. I was considering the dyno tune in the Spring or something like the quarter horse. I'll try to update everyone in the Spring. 

14 hours ago, javorm1 said:

Update: 

I ended up buying another chip from American Muscle. They couldn't give me a refund because my card had updated since the purchase and would only give me credit. The dyno tune was going to cost me $700 and I needed something to get me thru Woodward. I recently purchased a new daily that consumes most of my extra funds in could spent on the mustang. I was considering the dyno tune in the Spring or something like the quarter horse. I'll try to update everyone in the Spring. 

Woodward? I'm shocked we haven't crossed paths! I might be a little biased but you're never going to get a better tune than an in person dyno tune. My local flavor of choice has always been Lidio @ Alternative Auto over in Chesterfield!

I got one for the same reason, the dyno was too expensive and I hoped it would work.  All the options were in the drop down but it was backfiring and would make your eyes water and really was not any better then the stock chip.  After learning that lesson the week after I limped it to the dyno.

I had scheduled a dyno session with Alternative Auto, but canceled after finding out about the refund situation. Haven't heard anything but good things about them. Maybe this Spring.This was the first Woodward that I made it down there super early and stayed all day. I usually hang out down near 10 mile and Woodward. I drove down near mustang alley this year and the line to get in and park was ridiculously long. Maybe next year. I just swapped out the 373 gears for some 410's and probably have 100 miles on them. Can't wait for Spring to get here.