Det_Riot

Testing waters

So this probably doesn't belong here so if anyone feels like moving go right ahead. It's a mix of things so lets just cut to the chase..........

I've got 2 weeks left before school starts and really nothing to do car wise due to lack of money. So I want to see if anyone is interested in having me make them a custom gauge cluster set up like I have in my car =D I could have your cluster retain stock tach and speedo so you can fit two 2 1/16th gauges in there or maybe even a custom 4 gauge set up! IDK i'm bored and enjoy doing hands on things like this ha

Here's some pics of mine for reference. I'm not happy with the quality of mine and it looks pretty good so you can expect it to be better than what I run in my own car. Because there's a slight crack where I filled in the old holes (on mine), I will be using bumper puddy due to it's flexability. to prevent this from happening to yours!

6650757185_0264aa46ea_b.jpg

(ignore my ugly needles)

7154538189_c7d95716ac_b.jpg

hmm i dont suppose you could make one from scratch? as in i need one for the cobra but all it has to do is retain the stock dimensions of the cluster and itll only have like 3 gauges in it with the tach being the only one, no speedo.

that's what I'm going for >=]

You should just get the actual Roush cluster. I wish they had them for pre-99 cars. I'd totally rock one of these.

Roushdash.png

I'd would love a custom set up if it was possible to squeeze all the gauges together so I keep oil/water/volt/fuel. I could maybe do without volt I guess. I don't have fancy electronics to strain my alt. Maybe replace it with boost/vac instead.

You should just get the actual Roush cluster. I wish they had them for pre-99 cars. I'd totally rock one of these.

Roushdash.png

I'd would love a custom set up if it was possible to squeeze all the gauges together so I keep oil/water/volt/fuel. I could maybe do without volt I guess. I don't have fancy electronics to strain my alt. Maybe replace it with boost/vac instead.

I posted on your Facebook the one I'm getting it's a roush cluster.. just not the lunar cluster. gonna have the roush gauge faces at least but add in some real gauges. I need a REAL working oil press. gauge...

that being said its impossible to find those gauge clusters anywhere so I'm happy with what I'm going for :)

Edited by iRoush

check out plasti-weld for your filler material its available at autozone and what I use in cases like this for mine. There are two different types depending on how fast you want it to cure.

Is it still sandable?

Is it still sandable?

Very much so, sands easier then bondo but less then fiberglass. Fiberglass doesn't bond to plastic and really would not be as usefull in this instance. Trust me I have done both and for smaller projects like this give the epoxy a try, it bonds WONDERFULLY to plastic and basically becomes a plastic. I used it in my gauge-pods I made as well as a couple of others.

I did a similar thing with my Capri, I love how it came out. I thought of doing something similar for the Cobra, but I want all 6 gauges.

Picture027.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture.jpg

How come the Roush cluster wont work in 96-98 cars? The housing is the same, is the wiring that different? I've got a 200mph digital input speedo in my 1984 Capri, and it's reading a signal from a 1986 T-bird VSS. It's accurate to 140mph, I haven't gone faster than that in it ...

EDIT: Well, it looks like I answered my own question. There's a world of difference in the wiring and VSS/OSS transmitters. :(

Edited by SVT Rob

Very much so, sands easier then bondo but less then fiberglass. Fiberglass doesn't bond to plastic and really would not be as usefull in this instance. Trust me I have done both and for smaller projects like this give the epoxy a try, it bonds WONDERFULLY to plastic and basically becomes a plastic. I used it in my gauge-pods I made as well as a couple of others.

A lot of folks on FEP swear by that epoxy. They've been able to remake the tabs to allow plastic parts to "snap" and lock into place.