Tabres

What material are SN95 spindles?

Does anyone know what material SN95 spindles are made from?

I've still always been on the hunt for an affordable big brake setup and I saw Fully Torqued Racing currently has their 14" GT500 brake kit on sale at a really fair price.  My only issue with their kit is the wheel spacer you have to run with it, and wheel poke it causes (which I already have some wheel poke from my MM front suspension).  Judging by how their kit goes together, it looks like the wheel spacer just compensates for the size of the caliper bracket that bolts onto the outside of the spindle.

Just an off the cuff idea, I'm thinking you could eliminate a few issues by cutting off the factory mounting ears from the spindle and weld their bracket in place.  It would appear to eliminate the need for the spacer and the extended studs and also take care of the wheel poke issue.

Frankly, at this point I'm just waiting for someone to tell me the spindles are cast-iron and obviously the idea goes out the window.  That or if someone can point me to a better overall deal on a big brake setup.

Edited by Tabres

Their kit looks pretty nice.  However, I don't like having to get custom offset's for the front wheels especially if you already have a set of nice custom wheels you want to keep. The cost savings in the kit can quickly be lost.  The one piece rotor is also kind of a turn-off. 

In my opinion, the Baer 14" 6p kits for our cars have some of the best value going if your dead set on a 14" rotor. No need for weird offsets. 6p caliper, two piece rotor and plenty of pad compound options (c5/c6 vette pads).

Bad angle but these are behind 18in wheels. I opted for slotted rings, no cross drill.

14in1.jpg

45 minutes ago, 410sn95 said:

Their kit looks pretty nice.  However, I don't like having to get custom offset's for the front wheels especially if you already have a set of nice custom wheels you want to keep. The cost savings in the kit can quickly be lost.  The one piece rotor is also kind of a turn-off. 

I agree with you on all points, but what I was getting at is if the bracket could be welded to the spindle (which is really what I'm asking) you wouldn't have to mess with wheel offset, and you could put on whatever rotor you want.

I have looked at the Baer 6-pistons in the past.  I like them in general, especially with the wide variety of affordable, readily available pad selections.

What is their bracket made of?

The spindle is cast iron. Even if the bracket is steel, which could technically be welded to the cast iron, there are safety concerns with doing that and it must be done properly. When welding cast iron, the piece has to be preheated before welding (with a stick welder and nickel electrode), then care has to be taken during welding to not overheat it, then after welding it has to be cooled down slowly as well. If the process isn't done correctly, it can cause cracks in the casting.

In short, I'm saying that on such a critical suspension component as a spindle that would be disastrous if it failed, I wouldn't roll the dice. I don't fault your train of thought one bit, there are just some real issues to consider and I wouldn't want to send you down a path that could land you in a serious accident. Even if it was welded properly I would still always have doubt in the back of my mind if it were my car.

I was going to run the Vintage Venom (IIRC - don't think they make their kit anymore) kit originally, then ran into the same issues of not wanting more poke, so I just waited a bit longer and went with a Wilwood kit. The FTR kit is a solid setup if the wheel offset issue isn't a problem, but it sounds like it is in your case.

I just grabbed a set of s550 calipers for cheap and am waiting for the FTR bracket and spacer to show up so I can see if my wheels will fit.  My fronts could come out a good amount before they poke so spacing the rotor out isn't a concern for me.  So hopefully they fit the lemans as I am not planning on ditching my wheels lol.  That was a good idea so it sucks they are cast and not worth the risk.  You have any other brake ideas, for some reason I always pictured your car with a set of black cobra r Brembos ...  

1 hour ago, Lanter said:

You have any other brake ideas, for some reason I always pictured your car with a set of black cobra r Brembos ...  

I've been looking for an affordable set of those for years.  People always want too much money for them, imo.  I usually see them up around $1,000 - $1,100 and they need refinished and, by proxy, rebuilt.  Crazy to me when you consider that's basically the same cost as a 6-piston Baer setup or a few hundred more will get you a brand new 14-inch, 6-piston Wilwood setup.

In my opinion, the R brembos are just not a serious enough setup to command the prices people want for them. It's only a modest step up from Cobra calipers IMO.

If you want my honest opinion, a Baer 6 piston setup in the color below on your car would look incredible and would probably stop fast enough for your eyeballs to smack the airbag.

arizona%20copper-13.jpg

3 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

In my opinion, the R brembos are just not a serious enough setup to command the prices people want for them. It's only a modest step up from Cobra calipers IMO.

If you want my honest opinion, a Baer 6 piston setup in the color below on your car would look incredible and would probably stop fast enough for your eyeballs to smack the airbag.

arizona%20copper-13.jpg

Honestly, I always thought if I were to get a Baer setup that I would go a road rarely traveled with the color combo...

white.jpg

37 minutes ago, ttocs said:

I am running the baer 6 piston and still needed a spacer up front.

Interesting.  I've not heard that before from people with that setup.  What is the offset on your wheels?

Another thing that you have to remember is that even if you were to eliminate a bracket and draw the caliper back, then you start dealing with  having to find custom offset rotors. I did this is exact same song and dance before I went with the Alcon's. I looked at 15000 different options. Custom offset rotors, switching wheels, gt500 rotors, etc, etc, etc. The route I went was to change the control arm to draw the whole set up inwards towards the center of the car and then use the spacer to clear the caliper as well as push the wheels back out to where it needed to be. 

i did the vintage venom kit on mine and in retrospect, wish i would have just gone with baer or something else.  it was a big problem with the wheel poke and finding a wheel to fit.