Tony

good & bad points of N20??

looking for a way to gain pretty substantial HP, and just wondered the downside of nitrous?? is it really hard on your motor? AM has a kit that is throttle activated and throttle deactivated. 50-150 hp gain and def looks like i could diy that. thoughts on n20 fellas?? thanks

I have been close enough to getting it myself now for a while and just too busy in other areas to get it. When its done right its safe especially since you are not DD'ing yours and flogging on it. I like the idea that the extra power is there when I want it and not additional maint to keep it going other then filling it up.

The only "cons" to nitrous, are having it routed incorrectly and/or not installing it correctly. When installed correctly, there's very little chance of damage to your engine, unless you just get stupid. I had a friend that went through a bottle every weekend for over a year, and never had issues out of his car. I had nitrous installed on my '85 GT back in the day, and it was always fun.

I do not care for dry kits, as they use the factory sensors and injectors to compensate with added fuel. The wet kits are MUCH better, IMO, but you have to take care in how you route the lines, so as not to melt anything and cause a fire. Most nitrous backfires happen with folks trying to "purge" while doing a burnout with the "sneaky pete" systems.

I spent a lot of money on my nitrous kit, but I had standards for how I wanted it. I had the blow down tube, so if the bottle got over 3k psi, it vented outside the car, I had the bottle heater, purge solenoid, WOT switch, activation switch, and a window switch. So in order for the nitrous to spray, I had to have the system armed, I had to be at wide open throttle, and then the pills in the window switch told the system when to spray, in my case from 3000rpm to 6000rpm.

Rob

dangerous for you? Dangerous for your car? Not sure what you mean. They have safety switches now that will shut things down when they are not right(IE:not enough fuel, not enough NO2) as well as window switches and when everything is done right it is not that bad.

well if the shit is known for BOOM then i'm asking if its dangerous for both, lol. i was asking cause rob said he had a blow down tube in case the bottle reached a certain psi it would leak outside the car.

Ya. Its a saftey thing. I have one too. If.the bottle overheats it will blow the nitrous out of the car instead of all over the inside and you. NOT GOOD. lol.

The BOOM is extreme. Just watched what you're doing with it and make sure you're tuned to match the nitrous hit.

IMO. Use a wet kit.

I use mine all the time and I don't have all the safety stuff that most have. And I'm fine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

rob, is it pretty dangerous, and do ya have to always keep an eye on it to make sure the psi in your tank is at a safe level??

Usually the bottle heater kit comes with a pressure gauge, so you know what range your bottle is at. I had mine in a stripped out car under an un-tinted hatch window, and while the gauge read 1500psi, nothing detrimental happened. I just made sure when I purged it, I had a long steady stream with no air pockets, then sprayed the piss out of it.

Ya. Its a saftey thing. I have one too. If.the bottle overheats it will blow the nitrous out of the car instead of all over the inside and you. NOT GOOD. lol.

The BOOM is extreme. Just watched what you're doing with it and make sure you're tuned to match the nitrous hit.

IMO. Use a wet kit.

I use mine all the time and I don't have all the safety stuff that most have. And I'm fine.

Most -BOOMS- happen under the hood. I've never seen a nitrous bottle over-pressure and vent, but it's a nice safety precaution to take. Definitely violent, when they -BOOM- under the hood, too. But as long as your tune is kosher, and you've installed the kit correctly, there's very little risk involved. The only downside, is filling the bottle up when it's empty. It starts to get pricey, if you start going through a bottle a week, at $50 a fill-up. If you only use it once in awhile, it won't be that expensive, and it will be a nice power boost available when you need/want it.

If my bottle was full, it was in the car, ready to go. All I had to do was arm the system and hold on. It was really fun getting squirrely in 4th gear with 2.73's :P

You can use a 50-75Hp Shot and be safe wet or dry, Even if you F it up or its not tuned right.

Just make sure you run 93Oct Fuel or better.

Go wet as its the safer option. Maybe look into a cheap summit brand window switch so it will only spray between say 3200-6000 RPM's just in case you miss a gear you don't rev it to the moon and blow er up. ITs all in how its used, You can blow the motor just as easy with a Blower/Turbo if not tuned right.

The big advantage with a nitrous kit is you don't need huge injectors and you can run up to a 100 Shot on a stock tune for most cars. I would suggest a 255 in tank pump at a min. But i do know of guys with stock 99-04 Gt's running 100-150 kits on a stock fuel pump/injectos.

I know mostly under the hood. That's what I ment. Not the bottle exploding.

And I was saying if the bottle overheated without a blow down it would blow the pressure disk where the blow down tube should be. It would blow in the car.

Guess next time ill be more clear.

I've never been a huge fan of nitrous because of the refill cost and how the power isn't always there when you want it, unless the system is on of course but it's probably not something you'd want to keep on all the time. I've heard the wet kits are safer as long as you avoid fuel pooling in the intake manifold, I think by using a WOT switch. Personally i like how my boost is there all the time, whenever I want it. And trust me, you want it a lot.

I know mostly under the hood. That's what I ment. Not the bottle exploding.

And I was saying if the bottle overheated without a blow down it would blow the pressure disk where the blow down tube should be. It would blow in the car.

Guess next time ill be more clear.

I'm sorry, I did understand what you were saying, I was just got to typing and forgot why I quoted you in the first place. It happens, when you get old :D

I love Nitrous only because when im driving to work i only make 300 Ish Hp (Plenty for a Beater/Daily) but when i want to go to the track i can make 400+ and have some fun...

Some people are different/have self control. If i had 400+ Hp on tap at any given time i would be in alot more trouble then im already in with the man...

Aside from the stuff posted, it's also illegal to have the bottle hooked up on the street in all 50 states. Get pulled over and it's connected, you're looking at anything from a ticket to an impounded car.

Not worth it in my opinion.

Here in FL its just a issue with the cops if the bottle is open when pulled over, And most guys i know put it behind the passenger seat so they can crack it open at any given time anyway. But even if the bottle was mounted in the trunk you can pay the extra money for a remote opener so you can close it with the flip of a switch and then hit the purge to dump what ever is in the feed line out.

And its Illegal to "Street Race" anyway so you should not have to worry about the bottle being in the car or hooked up while driving in the first place. Mine sits in my Garage...

honestly i just wanted to see what your thoughts were simply cause it looks alot more simple to install myself than a fuggin head swap, lol. the only things i'm not 100% clear on is bottle temps, pressure, and safe ways to warm the bottle, lol. never thought about it being illegal. lilroush brought up a good point. after reading these posts and frank's 16 paragraph description on n20 lol i think a pi swap with constant power sounds better. thanks though fellas for helping me understand this shit a little better :)

Nitrous is awesome and safe if you have it set up right...with that said, I would NEVER run nitrous on a street car like yours...its just dumb to not have the power all the time to me.

Spend a little extra cash now and go with a vortech, they are cheap as can be anymore and you will end up spending more $$ after you refill that bottle over the course of a year or two anyway.

You dont need a head swap to make power. Vortech and a Pi intake and you can make good power.

yea justin after reading all kinds of articles and shit i agree. i kinda liked the activate and deactivate at throttle but still not as good as constant power. full throttle to get hp boost is kinda ehhh, lol. pi intake? so no heads :). i could manage that i think.

Nitrous gets a bad nod thanks to certain car movies..... Its as safe as a blower, but most people buy a minimal "kit" and nothing else. Rob had a great list of additional safety things. I would always buy a wet kit (nothing wrong with a dry kit but throwing in fuel gives me extra insurance), FPSS, window switch, WOT switch, purge, blow down tube, pressure gauge and electronic bottle opener. The price will add up and you will got from a 700 kit to 1500 total pretty fast if you buy all brand new stuff.

Anyone looking for a show kit, buy a nitrous bottle a purge kit and some lines from summit, fill the tank with CO2 and show off ....dont waste money on the giggle gas.

A PIintake will help but maybe be a 15/20 hp increase if that, if your keeping the npi heads as they flow just about as good as the npi intake. The PIintake is a direct bolt on but you have to rtv the coolant ports and let it sit overnight to set up becaust the npi/pi coolant ports are different.... On a side note I have slowed down on PI intake sales, but if you want one and pre pay I can get you one with aluminum crossover for $100 shipped another $15 and I can drill/tap crossover for the 2nd temp sensor the npi cars use...

Heads up and ass kickin! Using Tapatalk 2

frank i may do that. sound like a deal for $100! def will keep you in mind dude when i get ready for this shit.

where the hell do you guys find PI kits? like the whole setup all parts included. i was told i could buy a whole kit but cant find this at jegs and i thought they had every fn thing, lol.