Forcefedhatch

Big time rust repair..

Just took a few pics of my rust repair from today..

First off, mark where your going to cut the old rust section from the car, remember to alway cut Atleast 1/4" of material past the rusted area, you'll be using this to make a template for your patch..

ypepa2e4.jpg

Then using your cutoff wheel( I used a harbor freight electric 3" cutoff tool)

uqa3asyg.jpg

Now use the old piece removed and start using a full size piece to size it up..

gy7uzyju.jpg

Notice how I drew the body line on there for the cut, then I added 1/4" to it.. We're going to leave that 1/4" extra material, that will be bent back to follow the wheel well curve, as it will also add strength to the steel to prevent easy bending or warping from the welding process...

ybyte2u2.jpg

Now that our curves and bends are made, lets test fit and trim from there, I'm using the harbor freight welding magnets(4pack)

nu2a8e7a.jpg3ypune3e.jpg

ryha7y8e.jpg

Now once you have your metal trimmed to fit just right, body lines match up, and you have added any curvatures to the steel to mimmick the oem steel shape and are happy with it, prepare for welding..

Using a 60 grit flap disk clean up the area to be welded, I always do the whole seam and use the filler as a blending agent.

aru7y4a2.jpg

Once that's done start tack welding your steel in( IMPORTANT!! Always remember to just do small tack welds!!, NEVER LAY A BEAD WELD!.. IT WILL WARP THE STEEL AND THEN YOUR FVCK3D!) small tack welds in opposing ends of the patch panel with Atleast a minute or two between welds to allow the panel to cool.. Do this until it becomes a solid weld around the whole patchype9umy2.jpg8edehy8u.jpgymapejy3.jpg

Now grind the welds down with the flap disk and use it across the seam as well so the fill can be used to blend the full surface.

zuje8e4y.jpgzezapa2e.jpge3yzereh.jpg

Once your happy, and she's smoothed out, start with your filler..

qu3yru6e.jpg3ape3udy.jpg

This is as far as I got today, but I will update when the weather breaks with the conclusion to the process..

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by Forcefedhatch

I thought the way to fix rust is to just cut it out and rivet some pieces of aluminum siding over the fender lip, no? ;)

Looks great so far, that'll be a nice ride when you're done with it.

Yeah, I'm out of aluminum though, I'm out of Pepsi cans too!!, FML..

Lol thanks man!!

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks guys, after all the body work, paint will be next..

A little ford sonic blue paint should do for this beater, or possibly I may try the duplicolors candy apple red system.. Soo hmmmm lol.. May not even have to do the door jambs if I go candy red..

There's some thought to be done here lol..

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by Forcefedhatch

Ok well, since this paint has been chillin For 5 years, I sprayed it over my satin mustangs fender with minimal prep..

Anyway.. Sneak peek..

Sonic blue pearl mica, over a black base.. It'll stay that way too, alot more color change than the light/white base suggestions

Needs rubbed out.. ;)

vajy4e3e.jpggubejyva.jpgu2y9y7a7.jpgyhyvadyv.jpgaqa9utur.jpg

Btw, yes there's dirt in the paint, who cares lol, this was used as a test, but screw it, imma use it on the other car since the fenders are hit on it anyway lol.. One panel at a time, 3 coats base, 3 coats of auto zone duplicolor paint shop clear.. Nearly free paint job!!.. Woot! Lol

Sent from my iPhone

I painted my Nova with the Duplicolor. I did 3 coats of the SubLime Pearl Green and 3 coats of clear also. Not bad for a cheapy paint job, plus I got the satisfaction of doing it myslef. I also used a Harbor Freight HVLP spray gun. It came out as good or even a little better than a Maaco paint job

Matt

I painted my Nova with the Duplicolor. I did 3 coats of the SubLime Pearl Green and 3 coats of clear also. Not bad for a cheapy paint job, plus I got the satisfaction of doing it myslef. I also used a Harbor Freight HVLP spray gun. It came out as good or even a little better than a Maaco paint job

Matt

Yeah I'm using a HF gun too lol.. Small 8 gal compressor too lol, that's why I'm shooting one panel at a time! Lol.. Def dont wanna run out of air between coats, especially clear, it'll have dry and hazy spots for days lol..

Sent from my iPhone

Probably a little longer since its cold? Should look awesome though! Good work dudee!

Thanks bud!, yeah.. Il probably let it cure till summer to be honest lol.. I'm actually going to use most of the front clip from the black car, so ill be doing the panels in the garage as I go since the weather sucks!!.. Then what won't be getting transferred to the red car will be getting done to the red car.. I'm still trying to decide whether to do the engine bay to match or just black, ill be doing it when I start to swap the turbo kit and intakes.. I'm also eager to get this gt40 intake to the machine shop to be stripped and blasted, spray it black, and get my airbrush out and shoot some real fire on it, possibly the turbos compressor too... Valve covers will remain chrome lol

Sent from my iPhone

I'm really thinking about it!!..

I sprayed the edges of the hood with the base.. Clear Tom. on the whole hood..

e9yhe4ep.jpgynyjaqa5.jpgutydugy6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Damn man, thats gonna look freaking awesome with the sonic blue!!!