iRoush

The Functional Wing Thread

Figured I'd start this up because I have a big 'ol wing coming from Roush next week and I'm wondering what to do about the wing uprights and mounts. Ive been told with a high downforce adj. Wing that I have that the trunk will give in and bend or worse crack from the pressure.

Lilroush, I know you have a functional wing, what did you do to reinforce the trunk, if anything?

Brace and support on the bottom of the trunk?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

that's what I see corvette guys doing. running a brace on the underside of the trunk lid, making slots in the trunk for the wing uprights to go through be mounting the uprights directly to the support.

only problem I see is the 99-04 mustangs have fiberglass trunk so welding a brace to the trunk lid itself is not possible...

Edited by iRoush

what kind of forces are we talking about here anyways Brett? Im not saying you wont see a lot of force on the trunk, but just curious how much downforce the wing will actually be creating?

what kind of forces are we talking about here anyways Brett? Im not saying you wont see a lot of force on the trunk, but just curious how much downforce the wing will actually be creating?

basically I have 16 degrees of adjustment, I could technically see over 500+lbs of downforce on the trunk. but what most people do is if you can lay on the wing itself and the trunk holds up. it's good enough for the track.

blu808_wing_pic.jpg

Edited by iRoush

what if you did a brace across the underside of the deck lid, from quarter panel to quarter panel, and then braced it up from underneath?

like by where the hinges are mounted to the body.

post-275-13881837863035_thumb.jpg

what if you did a brace across the underside of the deck lid, from quarter panel to quarter panel, and then braced it up from underneath?

like by where the hinges are mounted to the body.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2024[/ATTACH]

if I did it near the hinges it'd seat the wing too far forward. I was think about a brace from quarter to quarter but further back. it's hard to say though until the wing gets here and I can see how it'll mount.

if I did it near the hinges it'd seat the wing too far forward. I was think about a brace from quarter to quarter but further back. it's hard to say though until the wing gets here and I can see how it'll mount.

yea, i guess i didnt mean that far forward, more back. but you get the idea. what about bigger uprights coming from the actual body and up, attached like right underneath where the license plate is.

yea, i guess i didnt mean that far forward, more back. but you get the idea. what about bigger uprights coming from the actual body and up, attached like right underneath where the license plate is.

would require a lot more cutting than I'd like. I want to just be able to cut two slits in the trunk for the uprights to go through and then bolt it to a cross bar. that way if I drive the car on the street I can take off the wing and not look ricer

wow, you really get enough downforce to bend the trunk lid? daayuum! never woulda thought that. ok...carry on :)

think about it. average of about 300lbs of force on two small anchors in the trunk lid. something's going to bend or break.

new edges really have fiberglass trunk lids? never would have guessed.

yup learned real quick when I moved my spoiler back and the drill went through like it had no resistance lol

I don't have any extra bracing on mine, but I have the metal trunk lid. I can lay on it without much flex at all.

One thing I'll say is get an extra trunk lid. Best thing I did so I can take ten minutes to swap and not worry about mounting/unmounting wings.

Can I assume you are getting the Trak Pak wing? If so, you'll be looking at 600 lbs down force at speed if you tilt it right (or wrong if you want to see it that way). I would brace across the top of the trunk between the pillars to help spread the weight over the surface. You'll love that plane. It catches air perfectly and gives a lot of control with APR's adjustment points. Wish I had the money for that version. Mine is a similar wing, but with preset adjustment points instead of being able to fine tune it.

DSC02080.jpg

1114121634.jpg

Edited by LilRoush

I don't have any extra bracing on mine, but I have the metal trunk lid. I can lay on it without much flex at all.

One thing I'll say is get an extra trunk lid. Best thing I did so I can take ten minutes to swap and not worry about mounting/unmounting wings.

Can I assume you are getting the Trak Pak wing? If so, you'll be looking at 600 lbs down force at speed if you tilt it right (or wrong if you want to see it that way). I would brace across the top of the trunk between the pillars to help spread the weight over the surface. You'll love that plane. It catches air perfectly and gives a lot of control with APR's adjustment points. Wish I had the money for that version. Mine is a similar wing, but with preset adjustment points instead of being able to fine tune it.

DSC02080.jpg

1114121634.jpg

I'm not worried too much about a second trunk, this is my racecar so it's gonna have a racecar wing on it 99% of the time haha.

Not the TrackPak wing :D Like I said in the what did you buy thread, you're gonna be jealous when you see what I got :D lol. It's a much bigger plane and a lot more adjustability than any of the APR wings. I think honestly, with the wing adjusted at the max AOA I could probably see over 1000lbs of downforce. After this one is actually in my possession, I'll let you know where I got it, because this wing brand new is $3,000. they're offloading them now for $300-$600 depending on where you look.

I'm wondering how much of a difference it'll make having the wing upright mounts wider than your style wing? Because I have a feeling the mounts are going to come to the outer edge of the trunk or possibly (and i kinda hope) lined up with the trunk to quarter gap so I can just weld the uprights in through the gap.

Not sure I missed this part, but at what kinda speeds do u need to be going to warrant such a radical wing? Just curious

Jeremy

Depends on how you set the wing up. A wing can be useful at low speeds if it has a High angle of attack. This is why you see such radical wings on all out autocross and time trial cars like this:

AutoX2MAR153_zpsa64a2b1c.jpg

At higher speeds it becomes a downforce vs. drag, finding the perfect balance between the two is what you'll want.

Depends on how you set the wing up. A wing can be useful at low speeds if it has a High angle of attack. This is why you see such radical wings on all out autocross and time trial cars like this:

AutoX2MAR153_zpsa64a2b1c.jpg

At higher speeds it becomes a downforce vs. drag, finding the perfect balance between the two is what you'll want.

Ahh makes sense....

Jeremy

Tony Miatas are rwd. Regardless that wing looks ridiculous lol

ridiculous but effective. way I see it is its a racecar so it can get away with being ridiculous since it has a purpose

ridiculous but effective. way I see it is its a racecar so it can get away with being ridiculous since it has a purpose

+1, race car aero is on of my guilty pleasures. What would look ridiculous most of the time is pure sex to me when it's functional.

Take time attack cars for example:

JEF3272-XL.jpg

2012_world_time_attack_challenge_22-0813.jpg

BL_0669.jpg

AudiS2-25.jpg

GSTSUBY-2.jpg

--5_0d9r_43.jpg

A high quality race wing (not the gay shit you see ricers running around with) is usually pretty lightweight. Carbon fiber is super light, and the uprights are aluminum. They add a bit of weight, but it's far outweighed in grip.

Have you considered mounting the uprights to the quarter panels like the Subie I posted? Might not work with your wing but that's a solid place to mount it because you could add some tubular bracing underneath, inside the quarter panel.

Have you considered mounting the uprights to the quarter panels like the Subie I posted? Might not work with your wing but that's a solid place to mount it because you could add some tubular bracing underneath, inside the quarter panel.

looking at the trunk if I remove the gas shocks I think I can mount the uprights there, I dunno, all speculation till it gets here lol

Ugh. You can stop teasing us now. I don't even get this anxious when I know I'm getting a bj.

On the phone right now :D SO STOKED

EDIT: Okay, so after paying $75 for shipping I've got myself a carbon fiber wing, 2 carbon fiber flat end plates, 2 carbon fiber curved end plates, and a red Tegris front splitter. They told me it should be about a week before I see the parts which is a bummer, but, I got them!!!!

Edited by iRoush

Sweeeeeet.

Matt would you be interested in ditching your APR wing if I sent you a link to these wings and splitters? They're putting the stuff on their website now and want to give you first dibs on this stuff. it's dirt cheap, $350-$450 for a wing and $40 for the front splitter.

I've had an idea in my mind for quite some time on bracing a wing. What if you had two pieces of metal coming up from the trunk floor right to the under side of the trunk. So, when the trunk closed, the braces would literally be touching the trunk. Then drill holes through the trunk and through the brace and mount the wing on top. This would sandwich the trunk between the brace and the wing. I suppose you would need a metal trunk or the fiberglass might get crushed. ^.-

Can anyone picture this? Does this sound retarded?

By the way, I'm VERY excited to see pictures of these parts iRoush. I love "cuz race car" parts. :D

I've had an idea in my mind for quite some time on bracing a wing. What if you had two pieces of metal coming up from the trunk floor right to the under side of the trunk. So, when the trunk closed, the braces would literally be touching the trunk. Then drill holes through the trunk and through the brace and mount the wing on top. This would sandwich the trunk between the brace and the wing. I suppose you would need a metal trunk or the fiberglass might get crushed. ^.-

By the way, I'm VERY excited to see pictures of these parts iRoush. I love "cuz race car" parts. :D

That makes sense to me. And is also what I was picturing when I thought about it. Brett, when you get the wing, take your wing off and set the new wing on the trunk approximately where you want it. I wanna see where the legs of it come down

I visualized a few things that I believe would work based off what you're saying. Made sense to me.

not a bad idea but I'd like to avoid attaching anything to the trunk itself. since its fiberglass I'm worried about its strength. I'll probably slot the trunk for wing uprights and make a jungle gym of metal in the trunk.

That makes sense to me. And is also what I was picturing when I thought about it. Brett, when you get the wing, take your wing off and set the new wing on the trunk approximately where you want it. I wanna see where the legs of it come down

the mounting plates are 38 1/8" away from each other according to them, so I'm going to have to slot the trunk

the mounting plates are 38 1/8" away from each other according to them, so I'm going to have to slot the trunk

Ahhh okay. Well then slot em and so like you said, jungle gym supports in the trunk haha

Stumbled across this, not a bad solution... Triangulating the trunk top to the lower edge would definitely add a lot of strength. Add some extra bracing under the trunk lid and I think this may get you the support you're looking for?

ford-mustang-boss-302-17.jpg

IMG1354-XL.jpg

Here's a through-the-trunklid style mounting idea you could go with too:

strutbrace.jpg

supportstructure.jpg