iRoush

The Functional Wing Thread

Stumbled across this, not a bad solution... Triangulating the trunk top to the lower edge would definitely add a lot of strength. Add some extra bracing under the trunk lid and I think this may get you the support you're looking for?

ford-mustang-boss-302-17.jpg

IMG1354-XL.jpg

Here's a through-the-trunklid style mounting idea you could go with too:

strutbrace.jpg

supportstructure.jpg

the green mustang was the idea I had in my mind haha. that may work.. but how the heck does the trunk clear that? lol

Edited by iRoush

As far as the trunk clearing on the green mustang, I'm guessing its running a fiberglass trunk lid. The gray one below looks like it would clear a stock trunk lid though, obviously you'd need to drill holes through the trunk for the studs to come up through it though.

As far as the trunk clearing on the green mustang, I'm guessing its running a fiberglass trunk lid. The gray one below looks like it would clear a stock trunk lid though, obviously you'd need to drill holes through the trunk for the studs to come up through it though.

I read up on it, that's actual Dave martis' AIX mustang. he works at g-stream. shoulda realize it was his high liter green mustang haha. he says to remove the rubber seal that way the trunk is against the trunk metal, it all clears as long as you remove the weather strip. good news is I have tubes that are about that size from the seat tracks I made

^ Good deal! Can't wait to see the new stuff on your car.

Are you talking about this car? Ugh...pure functional sex!

3-qtr.jpg

2416491_1964_full.jpg

2416491_1968_full.jpg

2416491_1975_full.jpg

2416491_1972_full.jpg

2416491_1971_full.jpg

STS turbo setup in the back seat! 657rwhp/575rwtq... I love this car.

Dyno video:

http://pi.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/i/Martis%20Mustang/dyno_run_1.wmv

so looking at the same way Dave Martis mounted his wing won't work. the wing mounts are 38 1/8" apart which puts the mounts pretty far inboard. I'd have to have a wavy upright to make it work, but I could have just a bar come up from the floor of the chassis and use that as the vertical attachment point for the cross bar that secures the wing to the trunk...

Edited by iRoush

It's tonight (in Florida), where are said pics!?

here ya go, the front splitter didn't come in today though :(

IMG_4118.jpg

IMG_4120.jpg

IMG_4121.jpg

IMG_4122.jpg

IMG_4123.jpg

IMG_4124.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg

IMG_4127.jpg

The rounded side plates are unfortunately useless to me unless I got to auto club speedway, they're designed to push the rear end of the car to the left at high speed, the flat side plates are what will be used, i need the correct sized hardware for those though since the hardware they sent is for the rounded plates only. overall though I'm incredibly stoked.

So much functional sex! What you thinking of doing for the support system?

now that the wing is here I know what I gotta do. I'm going to bolt it to the trunk lid, then create a set of L's with a vertical coming up from the floor and thena cross bar to the front of the trunk. on the cross bar I will put a set of hood pins in place to keep the trunk snug against the L brackets minimizing the chance of a cracked trunk.

Staying red I assume? haha jk ;)

Good stuff! I did some reading into Tegris a while back and it seemed the consensus was that it's an awesomely durable material but quite a few people recommended that it needs to be supported well to keep it stiff, like 5 splitter rods up front. If you look at the Nascars, they run several front splitter rods for this reason. Just a little bit of information I thought I'd pass along from the plethora of seemingly useless knowledge up in my head lol.

It may be a case of not being as necessary for the lower speeds you'll be seeing, who knows. Just figured it would be worth a heads up.

Staying red I assume? haha jk ;)

Good stuff! I did some reading into Tegris a while back and it seemed the consensus was that it's an awesomely durable material but quite a few people recommended that it needs to be supported well to keep it stiff, like 5 splitter rods up front. If you look at the Nascars, they run several front splitter rods for this reason. Just a little bit of information I thought I'd pass along from the plethora of seemingly useless knowledge up in my head lol.

It may be a case of not being as necessary for the lower speeds you'll be seeing, who knows. Just figured it would be worth a heads up.

haha yes it is.

as far as the splitter rods go, I'm definitely aware. the splitter came with the 5 rods and I intended on using all 5.

That's gonna look hardcore as fuck! :drinktothat:

Thanks man. now it's all a matter of measuring everything for both the wing and splitter. The splitter will be easiest to put on. drill a couple holes and good to go. The wing I'm going to have to make my own wing uprights for. I've already determined it's 14" from the rear trunk to the roof line vertically. The wing uprights they gave me are 8" long diagonally. Going to see what I can come up with as far as uprights go in the next couple days. I'm thinking a triangle is my best bet for rigidity and aerodynamic efficiency.

The rounded side plates are unfortunately useless to me unless I got to auto club speedway, they're designed to push the rear end of the car to the left at high speed, the flat side plates are what will be used, i need the correct sized hardware for those though since the hardware they sent is for the rounded plates only. overall though I'm incredibly stoked.

But think of the street application. You could nail it and hit all those yellow lights in the left hand turn lanes and stay planted better!

But think of the street application. You could nail it and hit all those yellow lights in the left hand turn lanes and stay planted better!

haha, in all seriousness it will definitely be awesome to have these end plates on the car at auto club speedways road course. I wonder how big of a difference i'll notice..

In other news, I picked up the hardware i needed for the wing, me being the Idiot I am though, completely forgot the hardware i needed for my splitter, so that'll have to be a project for another day... but here's the wing fully assembled with the flat end plates, the standard cot wing uprights and mounting plates (the uprights and plates will not be used, will have to make my own). This is at full Angle of Attack (AOA) on the 16 Degrees of adjustment on the wing:

24312_428164887272868_1554693479_n.jpg

This AOA will be amazing for autocross, it'll push the car down at low speed since the AOA is at such an extreme angle!

Title of the thread is functional wing thread. Doesn't have to be pretty so long as it works!!

And yes all the holes are for adjustability. Over 16 degrees of adjustment.

Looks like R A C E C A R. I love it.

Thanks bud!

This is so damn gangster, I love it!

I like the "Dodge All the Cones!" decal on the front bumper too :thumb:

Now I know where your avatar comes from lol

Thanks man and yup! I wanted something humorous on the car haha.

Reminds me an awful lot of a 2000 R spoiler

A wider and adjustable version but yeah it's not far off from it..

Are the uprights steel or aluminum?

Went with steel. The original uprights that were used on the COT car are steel so I figure there must be a reason why they went with steel versus aluminum and didnt want to chance it. regardless the entire wing with mounting plates and uprights only weighs 15lbs.

Not bad, I was just wondering. That isn't super heavy gauge steel so the weight increase over aluminum is negligible. Plus to have the same strength in aluminum you'd need to go thicker, so the weight savings wouldn't be much over steel.

Dem pieces is huge! I can't wait to see action shots of your car with the new get-up.

April 28th is a regional championship. I'll be damned if I don't at least get a podium finish!