Schiffy

Shitty gas mileage

Ok, so obviously i didn't buy the Mustang for long drives cross country because it gets great gas mileage, BUT, i'm averaging 12.9mpg, which even it being old and SOME spirited driving, to me sounds ridiculous. plugs, air cleaner, maybe some sea foam, and a fuel filter. what am I missing? is there anything else that can attribute to my bad gas mileage that is slipping my mind? like i said, i do some spirited driving, but honestly, not that much. i drive it to work and back everyday. i take back roads which typically means no lights or traffic in the AM, and i'm only hitting the hwy for about 3 miles if that. i know mythbusters did a thing a long time ago about using more gas when you run the AC, they say thats false, i disagree, but either way. i hardly ever run my AC, typically just the vent, or the windows are down. i usually get off early enough in the afternoon that i don't hit traffic either, unless like today, i have duty, so i'll be going home right at the start of rush hour. do ya'll think that 200 miles on a tank of gas(which equates to 200miles/15.4GL tank= 12.9mpg) is right? i haven't done any tune up stuff, so that could bring the mpg up some, but wanted to see if ya'll caught something i wasn't.

any codes? pull DTC and check for rich codes or a failed o2.

No codes... I'll replace the O2's when I so long tubes no matter what. Factory was 15/23, so in not super far off, but based on my driving, I'd think I'd be between those 2 numbers...

Tapatalk made me do it!

Honestly ur probably using about 13 gals per tank .... getting it to take 15.4g takes patience at the fuel pump and ypy would have to literally push it into the gas station. Clean ur mass air flow sensor check ur tire pressure and the stuff u mentioned

The D3V

Fill your tank, drive it down to around a quarter, record mileage and divide the mileage by how many gallons go back in the tank. Do that two or three times. That is more accurate than running it to empty, which is bad for the fuel pump.

How far is your commute? I know you said you don't deal with stop lights, but is there a lot of slowing down and speeding up for the road? In city driving I saw 12-13mpg. That was about a 10 mile commute that was all traffic lights.

When i was living in Chicago i would average 20 with my GT. that was stop light traffic all the way to work and school. The only time i EVER saw low teens was when it was snowing and i was drifting and rodding on it everywhere in the snow.

How far is your commute? I know you said you don't deal with stop lights, but is there a lot of slowing down and speeding up for the road? In city driving I saw 12-13mpg. That was about a 10 mile commute that was all traffic lights.

14 miles round trip. I do have to slow it down towards the end on my way INTO work, cause stupid people see a tunnel and feel the need to brake, even if the tube is empty. lol... I haven't run the car to empty. Just top it off and figure it in, so I probably am in the low to mid 13mpg range. I just feel like I should get more. My bolt on '95 GT was averaging 18mpg and that was red light to red light.

Tapatalk made me do it!

I used to get 18-20 around town and near 30 on the highway with the stock 302.

With my 95 GT i would average around 28 on the highway with the 2.73's lol

. do ya'll think that 200 miles on a tank of gas(which equates to 200miles/15.4GL tank= 12.9mpg) is right? i haven't done any tune up stuff, so that could bring the mpg up some, but wanted to see if ya'll caught something i wasn't.
. Just top it off and figure it in, so I probably am in the low to mid 13mpg range. I just feel like I should get more. My bolt on '95 GT was averaging 18mpg and that was red light to red light.

Tapatalk made me do it!

So how are you figuring out your mileage? Are you figuring it at 15 gallons or are you actually going by the amount you put in the tank?

So how are you figuring out your mileage? Are you figuring it at 15 gallons or are you actually going by the amount you put in the tank?

Based on 15 gallons... I put 13.5 in last time and got 200 miles. So 14.8 I guess...

Tapatalk made me do it!

holy balls... my 347 was getting 17mpg with me driving like a typical mustang owning douchefag...

and you calculate MPG based on what you use.

You fill up

drive XXX miles

fill up again

miles / quantity to fill = mpg

fwiw, my 12 second WRX gets 24mpg

:taunt:

holy balls... my 347 was getting 17mpg with me driving like a typical mustang owning douchefag...

and you calculate MPG based on what you use.

You fill up

drive XXX miles

fill up again

miles / quantity to fill = mpg

fwiw, my 12 second WRX gets 24mpg

:taunt:

Fuck your WRX!!! lol... I'm filling up tomorrow or Saturday, I'll do the math and figure it out again.

Tapatalk made me do it!

on a douche week, me driving everywhere pretty hard, then a night at the strip, my MPG is 20.

om a normal week with me babying the car and granny shifting i average 23ish.

Hey Chris if it makes you feel any better when I beat the crap out of the Fiesta I get 27 MPG, and back and forth to work babying it I get about 31 MPG, 21 miles round trip to work, all surface streets on the way to work and 6 miles of interstate on the way home

matt

Try to clean the MAF as well. Other than that you seem to have it covered.

do you drive around with alot of stuff in your car? ..if so try to take it out, you'd be supprised how much it actually helps.

Try to clean the MAF as well. Other than that you seem to have it covered.

do you drive around with alot of stuff in your car? ..if so try to take it out, you'd be supprised how much it actually helps.

I drive around with two hoes in my trunk. and there staying..