Sleeperstang1994

Ford tech question of the day

Vehicle 2008 ford edge

56k miles.

Customer complaint no start.

Theft light is flashing.

Preliminary diagnosis shows no PCM communication. No power to the PCM.

I know the answer. Take your guess !rubanu6u.jpg list of codes. IC is the instrument cluster. Good luck. I'll let the discussion go till 9pm est. if anyone guess correctly ill powder coat something for you free of charge!

• Moderators
PATs system causing issues? Magnetic strips on some type of card on the keychain causing issues?

This was my issue. Had to get both keys and the PATS recoded at Ford.

This was my issue. Had to get both keys and the PATS recoded at Ford.

yea ive seen similar stuff here at our chevy garage. it was actually on a jag with a smart key, had a few magnetic things for the gym, and that was screwing with it. don't know how it was exactly fixed, but one of the techs was bs-ing with me about it

• Moderators
yea ive seen similar stuff here at our chevy garage. it was actually on a jag with a smart key, had a few magnetic things for the gym, and that was screwing with it. don't know how it was exactly fixed, but one of the techs was bs-ing with me about it

Completely random, but the Jag part made me think of it. My wife has an XF, which was the first car post-Ford. I started looking at some stuff in her car and was shocked to see just about every part still stamped FoMoCo.

Completely random, but the Jag part made me think of it. My wife has an XF, which was the first car post-Ford. I started looking at some stuff in her car and was shocked to see just about every part still stamped FoMoCo.

yea we popped the hood and everythhing under the hood had all of it there too... rediculous haha

ok done with the highjacking now lol

• Moderators
cluster seems to be operating normally. performed self test on cluster and it passes the test.

Dammit that's the end of my limited knowledge. I thought PATS, steering column, or cluster.

If its alot of cluster issues yet its a no start no crank and its seeing the signal from the key(pats working) then I would say it would have to be a bus issue. Could be something simple as losing a reference voltage from the starter, of could have. Again, if one of the grounds is poor high corrosion could take that down and still have enough to turn on (lights dash work)but when it comes to cranking the high resistance will drop at the starter resulting in a no start. Im going with bad ground.

lol your all on the right track. Battery tested all ok. I dont think it has an ASD relay. however i tested the PCM power relay and the start/run relay and they were all ok. Im going to give a big hint around 8PM for the last hr!

lol we dont have that onstar crap! we have VHR. any way. here is the hint no power is present at the pcm. when performing a network test the PCM, ABS, and RCM( restraints control module(air bag lol) all fail the network test.... good luck. half an hr to go!!!!

Here is the answer. Kinda a trick question but as you can see the HS can wires were were shorted together. Hence why the ABS and RCM were not responding either.asube5eh.jpgeta4u5a8.jpgand the culprit.....ajemuran.jpgsquirrels lol. Some good guesses. This was buried under the air box. Took me a good bit to find the short!

lol you guys got close. if I have any more good ones I will do this again. had a good response. so for no good stuff today. just alignments and maintenance! I figure this would be a good way to promote [MENTION=10]WildWillyWalker[/MENTION] and my own business.