jgib4

Jgib4's final build thread

So to start this off i have a 98 GT with 72,xxx on the clock.  She has full bolt ons with Lts O/R X and Pi intake and cam swap.  This is how she currently sits.

IMG_6144_zpsef0dc872.jpg

mm21_zps7b3e4923.jpgIMG_0943_zpsb739af4b.jpg

This was great for about a month.  It is tuned by VMP.  I took her to the dyno for a base run before my Pi head swap.  This is how she did.

th_IMG_1275_zpsb43dc446.jpg

And the three pulls of the day.  Best of 234/284

photo-22_zps14c66bbb.jpg

Now im hoping to get as close to 300 as possible.  After switching from 2v to 4v back to 2v, i have settled on Putting my money into my 2v.  I have always loved good running N/A cars, so the plan was a solid foundation on the motor with gradual work on the suspension.  So i am sticking with my stock bottom NPI block and adding PI heads and wait for it............ Ortiz performance stage 1 cams.  Im pretty excited about this as there are no current dyno results on these cams.  With the base run done we are now just waiting on the results of the swap.  
As for the heads.  They are stock 03 Pi heads, i got a good deal on trickflow valve springs so while they were at the machine shop getting checked i had them installed. 

photo1_zpsea41a42d.jpg

photo2_zpsc53f0c25.jpg

Right now i am running crappy sumis, so for christmas got a couple gift cards to tire rack and ordered some BFgoodrich sport comp 2's for the rear.

photo2-2_zpsdbbceb23.jpg

I also ordered a set of MM FLSFC.  I cant believe it has taken this long but they will be put on during the swap as well.  

While the motor and trans are down, i will be dropping the T45 off at a friends trans shop to be rebuilt with carbon syncros to hopefully be stronger and get rid of this grinding when i slam gears.  

and for all the 4.6 haters

photo-33_zpsec853d7f.jpg

Very nice!  Always love the Ford Blue valve covers, now just get that alt casing finished! :2thumb:

Also noticed this is in the 2V section.  Would you want this moved to the "project cars" section, one of the admins should be able to help you out with that!

Very nice!  Always love the Ford Blue valve covers, now just get that alt casing finished! :2thumb:

Also noticed this is in the 2V section.  Would you want this moved to the "project cars" section, one of the admins should be able to help you out with that!

Yea wasnt quite sure where to post this at so figured 2v section sounded good lol.  Ford blue valve covers are being ditched with this swap.  I have another set i am working on.  Ridges are either getting smoothed out or filled in.  They will be painted Aluminum or silver, along with the CAI getting repainted the same color.  Intake will be staying blue though.

Very nice! Always love the Ford Blue valve covers, now just get that alt casing finished! :2thumb:

Also noticed this is in the 2V section. Would you want this moved to the "project cars" section, one of the admins should be able to help you out with that!

Yea wasnt quite sure where to post this at so figured 2v section sounded good lol. Ford blue valve covers are being ditched with this swap. I have another set i am working on. Ridges are either getting smoothed out or filled in. They will be painted Aluminum or silver, along with the CAI getting repainted the same color. Intake will be staying blue though.

[/quote

Definitely just smooth them. They're a type if abs plastic so I'm not sure what would stick to them.@joekd smoothed his 2v valve covers and they turned out awesome!

Added another part to the list, these just came in today.

photo2-5_zps98e12a2e.jpg

photo1-5_zps85b487bb.jpg

All the parts are ordered just waiting for everything to come in at this point.  Hopefully the build will be starting by next month.  

These came in the mail the other day.  Thank you Ortiz performance!!!
IMG_1425_zpsb156d3b1.jpg
IMG_1426_zps827c24bf.jpg

Going down to the shop tomorrow.  Had a 1 or 2 parts i had to pack up to take down :D

IMG_2453_zps02b6f2d5.jpg

Got the rear suspension done today. Went from this

image_zpsb215eaec.jpg

To this

image_zpsf39b682b.jpg

image_zps200e8d58.jpg

I left the sway bar off to take home and paint. Hopefully I can get that done this week and get pics of it installed soon.

Little update: got everything disconnected and ready to drop the next time we go to work on it.

image_zpsf434b44c.jpg

During a little downtime I put the shims in. Big shoutout to Ortiz for taking a phone call on a Sunday. This guys customer service is awesome. If you are thinking about buying parts from him, don't hesitate he will take care of you.

Also worked on my valve covers yesterday. My dad and a friend worked on removing the ridges for me, and I hit them with some paint and clear. Not sure if I am going to keep the intake blue or not yet. Opinions are welcome.

photo4-1_zps2abeb3fb.jpg

If you're changing the valve covers than i'd change the intake too. If not you'll have too many color schemes going on in the engine bay IMO

That is what i am thinking.  How about like a charcoal gray?

You are going to love those cams. Mine are about to come out and go back to Luis

I think that is the part im most excited about.  Dat lope man.  Plus i bought a set of solid motor mounts so i should have dat shake haha

Got around to painting the intake today. Went with VHT cast iron, it surprisingly has a lot of metallic in it which is kinda hard to see in the pics.  I hit it with a light sand paper, then primer. Still has a coat or two of clear to go but this pretty much is the final product.

photo1-9_zps195e0e83.jpg

photo2-9_zps2d84492e.jpg

photo3-5_zps18991478.jpg

Man the car is coming along nicely! I really like what you did with the valve covers! IMO the color you painted the intake and valve covers will go nicely with laser red a little better the the blue. Can't wait to see the after numbers!

Man the car is coming along nicely! I really like what you did with the valve covers! IMO the color you painted the intake and valve covers will go nicely with laser red a little better the the blue. Can't wait to see the after numbers!

Thanks i love blue but never thought it went well together either.  Hopefully i will have numbers within the next month.

Ordered the parts for the trans rebuild. Got a rebuild kit with carbon synchros from the gearbox. And a upgraded 3-4 shift fork from bottledgt on corral. Cant wait for smooth shifts again.

Got some more work done on her today.  Pulled the heads off, put the new heads on and bolted the intake back down.  Now we just have to degree the cams and we can throw the timing and valve cover back on. Its slowly coming together, hopefully it will be back to running in the next week or two.

photo1-11_zpse038153f.jpg

New heads and cams:

photo2-11_zps0bce8720.jpg

Looks a lil empty in here

photo3-6_zps87b36436.jpg

I now have a complete motor again

photo1-14_zpseb4db7ee.jpg

photo2-14_zpse8f414ef.jpg

Now i do have a question.  I ordered the felpro valve cover kit from late model.  The grommet that goes in the 11 holes are different from the factory ones. Has any one used these and how did you keep the bolt from drawling the grommet all the way through?

im curious to see how the paint holds up on the intake manifold. I assume you roughed it up prior to applying the paint? looks goof over all!

Yea man full prep, both the intake and valve covers are holding up fine. The only thing I have noticed is the clear didn't last I'm assuming because of the heat. No paint chips or anything. I don't drive it in the rain which I'm sure helps. If it doesn't last I'm going to buy trick flow valve covers.