Zach

School me on coil over spring rates

Ok I'm looking into getting coilovers for the rear of my car and I already have 12-250 front coil overs now from what I've read this is not an optimal rate for a street strip car, so if I were to use strange 10 ways on all four corners of the car what would the most balanced spring rates front and rear for a street strip car?

drag only cars usually run a 14-150 front spring.

a drag car driven on the street usually runs a 14-175

you dont need coilovers in the rear. infact Team Z Motorsports recommends against them.

http://www.teamzmotorsports.net/Drag_springs_p/tzm-slrs.htm

If you are going coilovers all the way around so you can get super low, then you shouldnt be considering drag racing the car, as your suspension geometry is going to be too jacked up to get a good launch.

Thanks for the input, but I kinda do what the coil over for stance though I want the car to handle well it's will be more of a street car that occasionally sees the strip like 3 times a year. Also to add I will be tuning a steeda 5 link with their adjustable swaybar if that makes any difference.

drag only cars usually run a 14-150 front spring.

a drag car driven on the street usually runs a 14-175

you dont need coilovers in the rear. infact Team Z Motorsports recommends against them.

http://www.teamzmotorsports.net/Drag_springs_p/tzm-slrs.htm

If you are going coilovers all the way around so you can get super low, then you shouldnt be considering drag racing the car, as your suspension geometry is going to be too jacked up to get a good launch.

Quoted for truth. My car looks awesome low. However, sucks a massive D at the track because my antisquat number is about 170% when it should be like 100%. The suspension on our cars weren't designed to be effective while slammed. In order to be effective while low, you have to change the control arm mounting points. And that's a whole nother level of modification.

My car is pretty darn low and i drag race it with coil overs in the back. All of the faster cars try not to squat, there are anti squat brackets. But i mean thats down in the 9-8 sec zone. Ive gotten 1.5 60's consistently with 400 wheel and a tko. We will see what becomes of this year with twice times the power and an auto. BTW i have team z adjustable lower, relocated uppers. QA1 Pro series coil overs with 12-170 rear springs and 10-350 front.

My car is pretty darn low and i drag race it with coil overs in the back. All of the faster cars try not to squat, there are anti squat brackets. But i mean thats down in the 9-8 sec zone. Ive gotten 1.5 60's consistently with 400 wheel and a tko. We will see what becomes of this year with twice times the power and an auto. BTW i have team z adjustable lower, relocated uppers. QA1 Pro series coil overs with 12-170 rear springs and 10-350 front.

Interesting is the fact that TeamZ relocated uppers probably hurt your suspension geometry being as low as you are. The relocated uppers raise the mounting point of the upper control arms iirc.

Exactly ^^ idk why but somehow my car worked with what was in it before. Can't wait till spring to try the track out again

On going project, 94 cobra, r block, tfsr225, hp efi, vortech ys

Instagram @rolocut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am looking at doing coilovers as well. right now a for a while it will be a v6. I am looking at doing the MM coil over kit for my car in the front. i have heard lots of people around here say the rears are not needed. It is a street car so to say. it goes to and from work highway use around town and car shows. i was wondering on if i should get a 10in spring or a 12 in spring. and what spring rate i should go with. i have no idea on how the spring rate and length rates work. right now i have h&r ss springs and tokico hp's all way around. i am about 1.75 to 2 inches lowered than stock and i am running j&m cc plate bump steer kit and steeda x2 ball joints. so my goal is to lower the front a bit more and have the ability to be able to raise it for street use and lower it for shows and weekend use if need be. idk not sure yet

Sorry to take over the OP's thread.

@9838stang.

From what I have gathered 12 inch spring is the best middle of the road spring and a 200 or 250 lb spring rate is the closest to stock ride. And while rears are not nessisarry it's seems to be a nice convenience to have if you like playing with your ride height.