RockinHrse_98

Granatelli Motorsports Front Coilovers???

Ok first of all, I don't know much about coilovers other than they go over the strut. I found what I believe to be a good deal on an unused Granatelli Motorsports coilover kit. From Granatelli they are $250 for the kit, the guy wants $100. The guy said that they were mounted on the car but he took them off before the car was ever driven and put H&R springs on. I know Granatelli has a not so good reputation, but how are their coilovers?

Also a few questions on coilovers. My car is a daily driver, currently on Eibach Sportlines. The roads around here are far from perfect and just keep getting worse. Do they give a harsh ride? Will they hurt the strut towers? Cause excessive bumpsteer or snap back?

Really want to be able to set the front end of my car down a bit to give it a slight rake for shows since I have adjustable ride height RLCAs but I dont want to have to change springs every time I go to a show.  Keep in mind I still have to keep it driver friendly (even though it's not very friendly as it is) as it's pretty much all I can afford right now. Should I grab em or pass?

Edited by Bullitt
Please resize your signature to the new standard. Thank you.

Eibach sportlines are 550 lb/in in the front (techincally 425-630 progressive rate), and wheel rate for stock location springs is 25% according to MM. So your wheel rate currently is ~137.5 lb/in

Coilovers give you a wheel rate of 90% the spring rate, so with your 200s it would be 180 lb/in or with 300 it will be 270. Either way the coilovers will be much stiffer than what you currently have.

My mistake, I forgot to mention that. He says they're GMS red "Street" 200 lb springs. However, I looked on the Granatelli website and the red "street" springs are 300 lb.

That's a big difference. You're probably gonna bounce a bit on 200lbs springs. 

I'm running 300 on mine and its perfect for a street car.

And also $100 for a kit? What's included in that? Sleeves, adjusters, perches, springs? If so, id say that's a good deal. I got everything for mine for about $160 minus the cc plates and struts.

And as far as you have a good set of camber plates they won't hurt the strut towers. 

Thanks for the info everybody. 

That's a big difference. You're probably gonna bounce a bit on 200lbs springs. 

I'm running 300 on mine and its perfect for a street car.

And also $100 for a kit? What's included in that? Sleeves, adjusters, perches, springs? If so, id say that's a good deal. I got everything for mine for about $160 minus the cc plates and struts.

And as far as you have a good set of camber plates they won't hurt the strut towers.

Yeah $100. Sleeves, adjusters, perches, and springs. I already have MM cc plates, still need to get better struts, still on stock style struts, pretty much good for nothing.

Thanks for the info everybody. 

Yeah $100. Sleeves, adjusters, perches, and springs. I already have MM cc plates, still need to get better struts, still on stock style struts, pretty much good for nothing.

If you like your car, you won't drive around on stock dampers with a coilover setup, they are not meant nor are they capable of supporting the extra loads.

Spring rates and dampers go hand in hand, you can't have one without the other or your car will ride terrible.Getting a good set of dampers should be your first step, for street, Bilstein HD's are a good way to go with the 300# spring rate. car will ride smooth as butter.

• Supporting Member

If you like your car, you won't drive around on stock dampers with a coilover setup, they are not meant nor are they capable of supporting the extra loads.

Spring rates and dampers go hand in hand, you can't have one without the other or your car will ride terrible.Getting a good set of dampers should be your first step, for street, Bilstein HD's are a good way to go with the 300# spring rate. car will ride smooth as butter.

Where is a good info source for pairing these up?

I run 350# in the front of mine per the advice of Maximum Motorsports (550# in rear - IRS). Your best bet is to call them, tell them what struts/shocks you'll be running and what type of driving you'll do/what kind of ride quality you want and they'll have some info for you.

I was planning on upgrading the dampers anyway, no way I'd run stock dampers with coilovers. I can't afford Bilsteins right now being on a college student budget. I was looking at the Koni and the Tokico . Always heard good things about Koni and their customer service so that's probably the way I'll go.

I run 350# in the front of mine per the advice of Maximum Motorsports (550# in rear - IRS). Your best bet is to call them, tell them what struts/shocks you'll be running and what type of driving you'll do/what kind of ride quality you want and they'll have some info for you.

I'll have to give them a call and see what they say. Thanks.