GearGambler

Lets talk Harmonic Dampers

i'm putting together a new motor for my daily driver. its a 306 with GT40 heads, good springs and 1.72 rockers, an FTI cam and a cobra intake. It will need the 50oz balancer. This is not a race car, it's my daily driver. With that being said, I would like to put a decent harmonic damper on there because I do put it through its paces when I commute  . It has a stock replacement damper - the stock bonded one came apart about 1.5 years ago. 

Here are just a few:
Ford Racing M-6316-A50 ($294)
Summit has bracket ($146), and street / strip dampers($321)
Pioneer has street ($125) and race dampers ($180)
trick flow makes a track max damper ($160)

I would like to keep this under $200. prices above are for new - so some deal may present itself. 

Let me know your thoughts!

I have a powerbond Sfi only200$ haven't put my engine together yet but it is a very we'll built damper. So that's another option, and if I'm not mistakin pioneer and power bond are the same company? So the pioneer should be good too.

i cant speak from experience. As stated though if you want to be safe stick with an SFI approval. Ive sold a few through CJ's and the Ford Racing unit seems resonably popular. It hard to argue with a race product made by the company that originally made your engine? :wacko:

I had a Ford Racing on my old coupe. It looked super nice out of the box, but was hard to see the timing marks and got kinda rusty. Never had a problem with the balancer itself though. If I were to do it again I would try to get an anodized balancer. 

I had a Ford Racing on my old coupe. It looked super nice out of the box, but was hard to see the timing marks and got kinda rusty. Never had a problem with the balancer itself though. If I were to do it again I would try to get an anodized balancer.

This. I'm having the same experience on my car. I actually had to paint lines on the balancer for timing purposes.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I could careless about ever buying anything from ford racing again aside from floor matts or valve covers or maybe some spark plug wires .... After all the horror stories with there crate engines big money aluminators being junk right from the factory or big cube strokers . I'm taking from a few good friends terminators , they have some of the shittiest customer service too ... That being said like others stated sfi spec is the way to go I run a powerbond

I couldn't care less about ever buying anything from ford racing again aside from floor matts or valve covers or maybe some spark plug wires .... After all the horror stories with there crate engines big money aluminators being junk right from the factory or big cube strokers . I'm taking from a few good friends terminators , they have some of the shittiest customer service too ... That being said like others stated sfi spec is the way to go I run a powerbond

Skewing off topic a little:

Speaking from experience, I have nothing but good things to say about FRPP's warranty handling department. Yes, my brand new crate motor failing after less then 1,000 miles was a huge disappointment, very upsetting and set me back 1 year, but they were very helpful and accommodating with transporting it back and forth and dealing with the issues.

Sent from Space

Skewing off topic a little:

Speaking from experience, I have nothing but good things to say about FRPP's warranty handling department. Yes, my brand new crate motor failing after less then 1,000 miles was a huge disappointment, very upsetting and set me back 1 year, but they were very helpful and accommodating with transporting it back and forth and dealing with the issues.

Sent from Space

Your the only person I know who's motor was warrantied my buddies had no miles on it either really and was missing half a rod bearing completely from the factory .... Boom 7k down the toilet

shitty formatting!  My apologies.  I think I fixed it.  

I cannot read this.  therefore i cannot talk about harmonic dampers.. lol

gear_zpsb92c73ab.jpg

again, I appreciate all the feedback!  As for the flywheel - that is a good point.  I put a stock, freshly surfaced flywheel back in the car just recently.  now that the disk is bedded to the flywheel, that stock flywheel will most likely not be upgraded.  I'm not racing the car, but I do want some quality parts in it!  

see thread here:  http://www.sn95source.com/topic/3511-drivetrain-upgrade-clutch-and-other-goodies/

That's what I had to do too Bryan. Eff trying to see those marks.

Sent from Space

one more thing.  I'll need to degree the cam when it is installed.  that means that I'll find TDC and adjust the pointer so it is on the mark on the balancer.  Or I'll make my own marks!  point being - it will be dead on accurate.  

I've always used some sidewalk chalk.  those stock rusty or black dampers have grooves cut in them for the timing marks.  Rub the chalk in there, wipe off the excess - nice white timing marks :)  

shitty formatting!  My apologies.  I think I fixed it.  

again, I appreciate all the feedback!  As for the flywheel - that is a good point.  I put a stock, freshly surfaced flywheel back in the car just recently.  now that the disk is bedded to the flywheel, that stock flywheel will most likely not be upgraded.  I'm not racing the car, but I do want some quality parts in it!  

see thread here:  http://www.sn95source.com/topic/3511-drivetrain-upgrade-clutch-and-other-goodies/

one more thing.  I'll need to degree the cam when it is installed.  that means that I'll find TDC and adjust the pointer so it is on the mark on the balancer.  Or I'll make my own marks!  point being - it will be dead on accurate.  

I've always used some sidewalk chalk.  those stock rusty or black dampers have grooves cut in them for the timing marks.  Rub the chalk in there, wipe off the excess - nice white timing marks :)

A piston stop and degree wheel is your best bet.

Just remember when using the piston stop there will be slack in the chain when you rotate back the other direction, throwing it off a few degrees

JFYI timing chain slack is not a factor when finding TDC with a piston stop and degree wheel

JFYI timing chain slack is not a factor when finding TDC with a piston stop and degree wheel

Thanks for the tips fellas!  

I do know that the difference between when the piston hits the stop going one way, and going the other way is usually due to the 'dwell' at TDC.  True TDC is to split that difference right?  

Thanks for the tips fellas!

I do know that the difference between when the piston hits the stop going one way, and going the other way is usually due to the 'dwell' at TDC. True TDC is to split that difference right?

Yes