the5.ohh

4.10s - 1995 AODE

Just curious.. My car is pretty much a stock 5.0, longtubes, full exhaust, cai, 76mm maf, fresh tune up, yadda yadda.. Its got the stock 2.73 gears, swapping to 4.10s soon.. How much of a kick in the ass are the 4.10s gonna be? I'm not worried about higher rpms on the highway, do 98% city driving. Also, I have the gears, bearings, royal purple gear oil, ford racing friction modifier.. should I add a t-lok rebuild kit? I have around 56,450 miles, all original rear end. Hope adding the t-lok rebuild kit doesn't completely fuck me in labor price.

I would do the carbon discs like @330CubeGt said.   It takes all of an extra 30 minutes to swap those in while the rear end is out, and you wont have to worry about it for a while.   because you dont want the stock ones looking like this.. lol

IMG_3026.jpg

^ Neggitive

A Tune is not required to run gears, and his car doesn't require a speed cal either.

It needs the $25 dollar "white" speedometer gear for 3.73/4.10s.

Oh so wrong...

His transmission is computer controlled. One of the data points used for proper shift timing is Speed. When you change the rear gear on a 94-95 car with an aode, the shift points must be recalibtated or he will hit the rev limiter in first and second gear while at WOT.

Secondly, stating that one single vss gear can correct for multiple rear gear ratios is assenine. Its mathematically wrong. The 8T drive gear on the transfer output shaft is machined into the shaft and can't be changed. The best he can do with a vss gear change, would be a correction for 3.55 gears.

He needs a speedcal, and a tune.

Sent from my CyanMobileX Evo 4G

I can show you the tables in the factory maps if you'd like.

Fwiw, its the reason why tuners always ask what gears you have.

No clue what that means lol.. I have never seen anyone say they needed a tune when they put 4.10s in. Speedcal yeah, speedo gears, drive gears yeah.. but a tune? never.

Then don't do it. Put your gears in and see how many times you over-rev the car at wot because you didn't calibrate the ecm.

Not like it'll be the first time you didn't listen to me.

So I'm going to pay 300+ to Dyno tune a stock car? What sense does that makes? First time I didn't listen? What are you talking about

You're really confusing me here.

You don't need a full dyno tune. You just need to recalibrate the ecu for the 4.10 gears because your aode is computer controlled. Your computer tells it to shift based off of the input from your trans. If you change the rear gears. What was previously 1500 at 70mph is now 2000 at 70. The computer doesn't know how fast you're going, only how fast the trans is spinning.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Mine didn't need a tune.. my factory ecu was for my 3.27 rear end.. I went to the 3.73 speedo gear, if your computer is for a 2.73 rear end you'll only be able to get to a 3.55 easily . After that then a speed Cal may be needed depending on tire height and actual speed variance.. hut the computer retards timing between shifts etc.. ya da ya da I got away with it just fine.. and have been this way for a few years now.. 4.10s I would need something to compensate for tho

Galaxy S4 Active

You don't need a full dyno tune. You just need to recalibrate the ecu for the 4.10 gears because your aode is computer controlled. Your computer tells it to shift based off of the input from your trans. If you change the rear gears. What was previously 1500 at 70mph is now 2000 at 70. The computer doesn't know how fast you're going, only how fast the trans is spinning.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

A speedcal wouldn't do that?