ttocs

anyone ever cut the slots between teh louvers out on a cobra R hood?

So as the titles says I am getting a y2k cobra R hood(carbon fiber too) and I am curious if anyone has been brave enough to separate the louvers in the middle fo the hood? 

I've seen one cut out like that one in the pic and it had a removable panel underneath that could be removed/installed to close them off from rain and stuff. That's how the hood came, wasn't a custom job, but I'm having trouble remembering the manufacturers name right now.

If I had the Niche hood with the removable panel, open vents would be fine with me. Otherwise, I prefer to not have water getting inside the engine bay every time I wash the car or it rains (which is like every damn day in Pittsburgh).

hmmmm..  Makes me wonder how hard it would be.  I mean the slits are not a huge deal for me to cut out.  I am pretty good with dremel but would hate to ruin  a CF hood.....  I would also like to make some kind of wire grill/vent to help keep thinGs out that do not belong.  I try t avoid the rain but it happens so better safe then sorry.

has anyone on here done it?  My dremel actually broke some time ago and I have been using the air tools.  For something this small I would need the dremel.

By chance do you have any pics of the part that went under it to collect water?  I would like to make a grill as well a cover for if its need.

s               

I know one of the companies that was making these hoods would cut open the holes before they shipped it out to your. Idk who it was though

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Rio mentioned that Niche did it at one time but they are not making them anymore. My dremel broke and I need to replace it so I guess this will be the reason to cut them out. I am wondering if/what I should put on the edges that I end up cutting/trimming to ensure its all sealed?  I mean I could just use some clear nail polish on the edge or spray some clear on them and the areas around it.  Any ideas? 

Also if a admin wants to combine the two posts now going about my hood I am sorry I was thinking it was a different site.

VIS CF hoods are a CF layer over fiberglass.

As Rio said, I would use black touch up paint cause when you cut you will have to paint the white/grey fiberglass like in the below photo, that will be exposed.

bottomcut.jpg

I will say the quality of the top weave seems very good on all the VIS products I have encountered and their products do deliver  in the lightweight department. 

weave.jpg

I don't think they do CF

http://www.nichepi.com/composite.html

The only "bad" reports I got back on VIS was said that they tend to turn yellow from UV exposer.  I took that with a grain though since it was coming from a  manf that did not carry an CF.  Looks like I will be opening them up and figuring out some way to get a grill in there and some way to block water  Anyone have pics of that piece?  I mean I I can figure out some way to cover it from  making a fiberglass piece to protect it ot, idunno.