Det_Riot

Modifying a Shop's Tune?

So I got my car tuned dyno tuned last year because I was super intimidated by trying it myself. Seeing that it isn't that bad and possibly manageable, I've been thinking about taking a stab at doing some tuning myself. When I got the dyno tune done, they do all their tuning on a SCT chip. My car is a 94 gt, is there anyway that I could download the sct software and tune myself without having to pay to go back to a shop?

Thanks! :cheers:

no there is not, I mean you can get the racer software but you're paying a good chunk of change for it. Leave it to the pros, on the serious note.

Ghey, i don't want to go back to the same place for failures in cars as of recent........Charged my buddy for a new block after it blew up on the dyno, put in a remanned block that had a cracked welded on it. Put no name 4v pistons in it instead of top of the line forged things. Then put 4v valves in my buddy's 3v motor, dropped the valves, took out the cam phaser, had to have the whole head redone. After he got called out about it, he didn't deny it, just said i told you you couldnt push the kind of power you want out of a 3v -__-

So the other shop i''m looking at uses diablo not sct, so i'd have to pay for a whole new chip and start from scratch. and the other one that uses sct, is booked until august =\

This is why I'm glad Bob Kurgan makes frequent trips to dyno tune in California. my tune for this engine currently is very safe and not taking full advantage of the ethanol. Kurgan can get at least 10whp more out of it alone, along with some adjustments I'll make to get the most out of it. Most of my power is still on the table sadly because of the tune =[

You can tune some stuff depending on what it was tuned with. On the obdII cars you can change some timing but thats about it. You dont need a tuner to do it with a 5.0, just turn the distributor.... Reguardless you wont be able to watch if the change in power with out treadmill to tell the story.

Good luck

You can self tune w/ the Moates Quaterhorse. I'm getting it tuned with a moates quarterhorse chip in a few weeks but I'm having the shop do it.

http://www.moates.net/quarterhorse-for-fords.html

You have it on your car now? Did you mess with it at all? If I go moates, I'm going to do majority of it myself or at least attempt to. From what I've heard, the WOT tuning is the easy stuff, it's the part throttle and driving around town where the pain arrises

No not yet, the car is at the shop. Its been there for a week they are fixing the last few issues it had that I could not do at home and then its being tuned the second week of july. They are on vacation the first week, just my luck. Currently has an SCT chip but I have more faith in these guys tuning the car then the previous tuner. He kinda has a rep for blowing up engines, especially boosted ones. My friend mike had a tune done by him in his 03 Cobra with a KB pushing 617 at the feet and a month after he sold it the #3 piston melted down on it.

No not yet, the car is at the shop. Its been there for a week they are fixing the last few issues it had that I could not do at home and then its being tuned the second week of july. They are on vacation the first week, just my luck. Currently has an SCT chip but I have more faith in these guys tuning the car then the previous tuner. He kinda has a rep for blowing up engines, especially boosted ones. My friend mike had a tune done by him in his 03 Cobra with a KB pushing 617 at the feet and a month after he sold it the #3 piston melted down on it.

Woof good thing you switched it up! If you have your wideband hooked up with a moates, do you need a seperate data logger? Or will the moates data log and upload to a laptop when you hook it up?

I'm not to sure on that. I'm not real fimilar with self tuning or the Moates software yet. But I'm going to try and get up to speed on it. I'll ask them that question when I get it tuned if you dont have an answer by then.

hmm cool lmk. I think i'm just gonna take my car back to where it was done originally because I just want my car running =\ I'll tell him I want more of a race tune than street so maybe they'll push it a little more than normal

My SCT chip was a 4 bank chip so diffrent tunes could be loaded, not sure if it works the same way with the moates. Something I'll have to ask when the tune is done. Id like to have one tune that is more agressive for the track if possible.

My SCT chip was a 4 bank chip so diffrent tunes could be loaded, not sure if it works the same way with the moates. Something I'll have to ask when the tune is done. Id like to have one tune that is more agressive for the track if possible.

When if you can't, I'm pretty sure a tune you can upload real quick from a laptop. So you can have em stores on your computer and upload em for a track trip

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Is this what you're referring to? http://www.moates.net/rotary-qh-switch.html If so this just solders onto the chip.

no b/c the SCT Tuner is mostly only available on the weekends and hes not a full blown shop all he really does is tunes. I needed a shop to finish up my exhaust system. Plus the SCT Tuner is known for making tunes that are a bit to much on the edge.

the rotary switch for Moates is if you need tunes on the fly. On laptop you can save unlimited tunes and strategies as you work through it.

Wide band will work and log within BE as long as you get one they list as compatible. I've been using Moates for a while now and like it a lot. I'm also taking my sweet time tuning I'm in no rush. Still gotta put the wide and bung in the fn exhaust pipe to complete the install and get real numbers out of it.

haha yeah I believe so. The tuner did say something about trying to see if his program would take with the SCT chip in order to save me $60 but if not I'll have to use his chip and then I wont have any use for the SCT chip.

yeah I thought so lol. I sent him a msg today on FB to see what the progress of the car was before they went on vacation but no reply yet. His camp he stays at is not far from me at all, has to drive right by my place to get up there.

WHOA WHOA WHOA... just what in the F is going on here?

So I got my car tuned dyno tuned last year because I was super intimidated by trying it myself. Seeing that it isn't that bad and possibly manageable, I've been thinking about taking a stab at doing some tuning myself. When I got the dyno tune done, they do all their tuning on a SCT chip. My car is a 94 gt, is there anyway that I could download the sct software and tune myself without having to pay to go back to a shop?

Thanks! :cheers:

If you wouldnt mind being without the car for a week, you could mail me your chip, I MIGHT be able to read the SCT tune and convert it over to a quarterhorse compatible file... then you could switch to the QH and fiddle with it yourself.

The chip that adder burnt me is a moates but I don't know what model. I think it was just a blank you can order from them. Only problem now is I don't know who around here can reburn it when I'm ready for a tune

I know someone who can reburn it... :onthego:

BTW, anyone with a 94-95 and interested in going to a QH... If you have any questions, shoot them over to me. Ive been using one for several years now.

If you wouldnt mind being without the car for a week, you could mail me your chip, I MIGHT be able to read the SCT tune and convert it over to a quarterhorse compatible file... then you could switch to the QH and fiddle with it yourself.

Hmmm I'm definitely interested. So basically I'd pick up a qh chip and the tuning stuff, send you the sct chip and you could try to get me a base tune from that one? How difficult is the learning curve with the QH? I've heard plenty of guys will have yearssss on their tune and still not have the drivability completely settled down.

I spent about 30 minutes with Evil's tune...

The main hurdle in the "learning curve" is learning to leave certain crap alone. The best thing to do is learn what the car is doing, learn how the EFI system actually works, learn when the ECM is doing what. Overall, it's really not that hard.