Prokiller

dome light

every time I hit a decent bump my dome light flashes on.  I've taken it off and nothing is wrong on that end.  I'm thinking it's the trunk moving a tad bit and not making contact.  any thoughts or ideas?

Thought this might be useful. I could provide more but It would take a LOT of space. You're gonna have to check all the related connectors. To help with diagnosis, go around a hit or shake the trunk lid, doors, and dome light to see if it lights up. Let me know if you want wiring diagrams or more info and I'll PM it.

Copy & pasted from Ford PTS:

Lamp, Dome/Map Combination

NOTE: Power to all interior lamps (13776) is provided through instrument panel Fuse 8 which is hot at all times. Ground to all of the interior lamps is provided through Circuit 57 (BK).

The dome lamp system consists of:

• Dome lamp switch (part of headlamp switch (11654) .
  • Courtesy lamp switches (13713).
  • Optional illuminating entry actuator (13C718) .
  • Optional electronic door lock control processor (14B001) .
  • Dome/map combination interior lamp .
  • Circuit wiring and circuit protection.

The sedan model has a single-dome lamp bulb. The convertible model uses two miniature bulbs (13466) located in the base of the inside rear view mirror (17700) .

Power to the dome lamp portion of the dome/map combination interior lamp is provided through Circuit 53 (BK/BL) from turning on the dome lamp switch in the headlamp switch or from one of the courtesy lamp switches in the A-pillar with the front door (20124) open.

On the convertible model, the map lamp switches must be in the OFF position for the dome lamps to work with the dome lamp switch or courtesy lamp switches .

The map lamp system consists of:

• Dome/map combination lamp.
  • Circuit wiring and circuit protection.

Power is provided to the map lamps through Circuit 54 (LG/Y). The map lamps are turned on by switches on the dome/map combination lamp.

EDIT: I searched for a '94 Mustang. Let me know if that's wrong. It should be the same up to '04 though.

@Prokiller, i can't remember 100% but I thought there was like a mercury switch attached to the bottom of the deck lid. Check to see if that didn't get bent at a weird angle.

I thought that was part of my aftermarket alarm system. Hmm.

I thought that was part of my aftermarket alarm system. Hmm.

i remember seeing it on one of my cars, all were basically stock in that regard.  Im pretty sure it was in the Mage where I noticed it when I was trying to install an electronic trunk release.  This is all going off of 4-5 year old memory.. but i swore i bent something and the light kicked off, then when i bent it back to where it was supposed to be the light came back on.  

There is a mercury/tilt switch on the trunk lid but that is to light up the trunk.  If that switch is turning on your dome light then something is really wrong.  It its flashing while you drive it, and when you open shut the trunk it sounds like a short that is making the connection when its bumped.  The only thing I can think of in the trunk that has anything to do with the dome light is the keyless entry or the wiring going to it in the trunk. 

Open your trunk and start giving it some technical taps while watching the dome light.  Just start of lightly knocking on random parts of the trunk area and see if you can get the dome light to flash and from there isolate where the problem is.  you might have to give the floor/side/what ever a pretty good knock but work your way up to it and see what you find.

i'll look around the latch area and see what i come up with.  the previous owner was notorious for horrible wiring so i don't doubt this is related.