Gatlin_G

Gauge Cluster Lights off and headlights dimmed

Hey Im hoping you guys can help me out. My friend got a new headunit for his 01 GT with the mach sound system along with the correct wiring harness to instal. We started to plug every thing in and when we got done we went to start the car and turn the lights on and the Gauge cluster lights dont work. The odometer and fog lights did not work. we played around with it and nothing happened and all of a sudden the fogs started to work again. Long story short all the non indicator lights in the cluster stopped working and the headlights are now dimer than they were. We checked fuses and fumbled with wires and nothing worked. Can someone give me any ideas on this?? Thank you.

Did you try pulling the aftermarket head unit back out and reinstalling the factory unit?  If you do that and all works fine then there is a problem with the harness you're trying to use or you're missing connections that should be connected.

i would start with what @Steve-Oh said.  pull the aftermarket headunit out, put in the stock one and see if everything works correctly.  IF it does work correctly, then something is messed up in your wiring.  If it still doesnt work, let us know and we can go from there.  

Does this harness work in conjunction with all the mach stuff or do you have to disconnect the rear amps and other things?  

Hey we were replacing another aftermarket headunit. I tried pulling the radio out and back in about 7 times and nothing changed. Is there any grounds or any way I could have blown a fuse somewhere with the new unit? I know the new one takes more power than the old. I was told that the headlights work fine he just thought they were dimmer so the only problem I have now is that the Gauge cluster lights arent working and also the lights on the a/c control dont work.

Im guessing you didn't lose a ground, anythings possible though.  I would check all your fuses first.  disconnect the radio, check all your fuses, when you find a blown one, replace it.  Check to make sure everything is working.  Then plug the radio back in. 

2001-mustang-fuse-box-diagram3.gif

2001-mustang-fuse-box-diagram1.gif

02-mustang-gt-fuse-box-diagram-7113.jpg