9838stang

SN95 rear brake caliper brackets

So i have had this bug for the longest time now, going on 4 or 5 years. I have looked high and low all over the land of the inter-webs. I have searched if anyone has done this. Since doing the rear baer 13" upgrade on the car it has amplified this idea more and more. I have like the look of the rear brake caliper bracket on the 94-04 cobras way more than the 94-04 v6/gt's. I was curious if anyone has done this. Just used the cobra rear brake caliper bracket to swap onto the v6/gt rear axles.... From looking all over the place, all i could find were people notice the only difference was of course how the bracket connect on the outside from both slider locations, versus the v6/gt bracket doesnt. Also the bracket for the cobra was wider for the wider cobra caliper. But I was curious if anyone has swapped just the bracket over.

21_caliper_brackets_zpsqv3w7lvc.jpg

I know it will not do anything for the car performance wise nor will it help with braking. I am looking to do this only for the looks.

It looks to my the caliper brackets are the same size, and the bolt hole locations are the same as well as the slider locations, but i could be wrong. If i can get out of class earlier tonight ill try to stop by a part store and see for my self but i was just asking you nice folks if you knew.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/general-mustang-tech/1163075-cobra-brakes-help.html

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1591083

Now, the non cobra bracket has the caliper bracket bolts in the back side so if it looks funny that is why

I honestly have no clue but i was curious if you had specs on the 13 inch brackets or pictures i was tempted to fab my own set being i couldnt find them seperate

Sent from the future

You can interchange them. The opening for the rotor on the cobra bracket is a minute amount wider than the gt/v6 opening in the same location. That is to account for the thicker cobra rotor. I also believe if you order pads for the rear cobra set up, the pads themselves will be thinner new than a gt pad because they use the same caliper with different thickness rotor

I honestly have no clue but i was curious if you had specs on the 13 inch brackets or pictures i was tempted to fab my own set being i couldnt find them seperate

Sent from the future

I can try to get some specs... i honestly just threw the new 13" rotor bracket adapters onto the car because i was really anxious at seeing them on the car.

IMG_20150115_095741379_zpsw1bribbg.jpg

DSC_0402redo_zpsto0vao6w.jpg

You can interchange them. The opening for the rotor on the cobra bracket is a minute amount wider than the gt/v6 opening in the same location. That is to account for the thicker cobra rotor. I also believe if you order pads for the rear cobra set up, the pads themselves will be thinner new than a gt pad because they use the same caliper with different thickness rotor

Thats what i thought. I knew the the calipers were the same, bullitt, cobra, and v6/gt. I was just curious if the caliper bracket it self was different. I know that there is another mounting bracket that bolt to the axle housing and i was hoping that was all the difference was.

I'm going to guess the caliper might be the same, not exactly sure. Sorry that probably isn't much help lol

Edit: I see Bryan has it covered lol.

Well today i went out to autozone, kinda a drive since that store was the only one that had the bracket instock with in state of MN. Well i asked for both the v6/gt bracket and the cobra bracket and I got some usefully information. I found out that the distance between the caliper bracket slide pins were the same, as well as the slide pin diameter. I also found out, the area where the rotor goes between the caliper bracket was different. The cobra one was a bit wider to allow for the wider vented cobra rotor. I didn't bring a caliper with me (measuring tool) to find the distance between the two bolt holes where the caliper bracket attaches to the axle housing, but i eye balled them and placed them over each other, they look the same. I didnt see any over lapping of the two. The final difference i found was where the caliper slide pins go in. Like i said the slide pins were the same, but the slide pin boot was different

IMG_20150305_103734723_HDR_zpsu1mherxj.j

IMG_20150305_103858170_HDR_zpsoetlhnfi.j

IMG_20150305_103908194_HDR_zpssyipja0n.j

I forgot to bring a bolt with me to see if the thread pitch was the same but i checked when i got home. The new bracket that helps adapted the 13" rotors used their own special longer bolts. But same thread pitch, So i had the stock bolts left over. And good news

IMG_20150305_114259327_HDR_zpsp3cluuaz.j

It is the same thread pitch. And the axle backing plate is ythe difference in cobra and gt rear set up.

So if you own a cobra and want to run 13" rotor kits, you need to swap to gt backing plates because that's how most of them are set up off of gt's

So if I wanted to swap to the larger cobra rear rotors, all I soul need was the cobra brackets, pads and rotors??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if I wanted to swap to the larger cobra rear rotors, all I soul need was the cobra brackets, pads and rotors??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cobra backing plate* you have to remove your axles to swap them unless you ghetto notch them

i did the FRPP cobra rear kit.  couple things i can confirm. mostly what @det-riot said.  the calipers are the same.  the cobra rotors are vented discs so they are thicker, which then forces the pads to be thinner.  GT discs are just blanks.  you can't use GT pads with cobra rotors, they dont fit.  to get the larger diameter cobra rotor, you need the backing plate and cobra rotors.  the anti-moan brackets are optional just as dust shields, both of which are gt or cobra specific.

i did the FRPP cobra rear kit.  couple things i can confirm. mostly what @det-riot said.  the calipers are the same.  the cobra rotors are vented discs so they are thicker, which then forces the pads to be thinner.  GT discs are just blanks.  you can't use GT pads with cobra rotors, they dont fit.  to get the larger diameter cobra rotor, you need the backing plate and cobra rotors.  the anti-moan brackets are optional just as dust shields, both of which are gt or cobra specific.

Well I will be using my baer 13" rotors along with the cobra caliper bracket, as well as the gt brake pads and my factory calipers