Sho Amo

Header bolts and gaskets

Just wondering what the consensus is on header bolts and gaskets with these engines. I just got some ceramic coated bbk shorties and I'm used to buying locking header bolts and copper gaskets.

I use arp stainless bolts and felpro 1415 header gaskets. I've never had a problem with bolts loosening and exhaust leaks. But I fully inspect my car every 2-3 times I drive it checking all bolts and fluid and stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i had the stage 8s before and they were a pain in the ass to install and uninstall.  they worked good don't get me wrong, but what a pain to deal with.  i've since switched to arp's and just check them now and again.

i had the stage 8s before and they were a pain in the ass to install and uninstall.  they worked good don't get me wrong, but what a pain to deal with.  i've since switched to arp's and just check them now and again.

This ^  I only blew a header gasket once but as long as you check the header bolts every now and again you should be fine. 

I had issues with the locking tabs on the stage 8 as well but I think it was because on the JBA headers I got the pipes are square rather then round where the header bolts to the head.  The tabs were made for a round pipe it looked like to me so on more then a few I had to grind a little of the tab down to get it on all the way. 

I had issues with the locking tabs on the stage 8 as well but I think it was because on the JBA headers I got the pipes are square rather then round where the header bolts to the head.  The tabs were made for a round pipe it looked like to me so on more then a few I had to grind a little of the tab down to get it on all the way. 

Did flipping the tab over not work?  I know they design the tabs with an offset angle similar to a wrench.  That way if they don't fit one way just flip them over.

I use Fel Pro 1415 gaskets and ARP Stainless 12 point header bolts. I just crank them down and haven't had a single issue in about 6 years, and yes, back then I actually drove my car. All the locking BS seems like more trouble than it's worth IMO.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-1415