95faleen

DFG Faleen: A Very Slow Build

Bought this car maybe a month ago while I was still fixing up my 86 coupe. It sat neglected at a local guys house, I couldn't pass it up for 550 bucks lol I knew the motor was fucked but it had the makings to be decent.

As of now it has;

- Mac shorties

- Pro chamber

- Mac cat back

- Mac cai

- Full saleen body kit (missing rocker panel mouldings)

- Staggered FR500's with 315's in the rear

That's about it for things actually on the car.

I just went and made a 120 mile trip and picked up a 3" cobra r hood for 200 bucks (trufiber). Had to strap (tie lots of knots) it to my buddy's Corolla roof haha I held it the whole way home

The day I bought her

EB8462BE-3833-4D12-A037-36ED30FAB1C5.jpg

Took the pony to her new stall

7DF81995-62A7-4D31-8166-BE148F2FA656_1.j

That cowl hood tho

667134E1-ED13-4319-B8D8-FCECA343E72F.jpg

Back home crappy cell phone pics and the ugliest headlights I ever did see

C6B55035-92E8-471F-AF47-1B81EE9F65B6.jpg

I couldn't close the hood all the way. Previous hood was pinned in the front and the hood pin kit they used is F***** horrible I can't even un-install it without really looking at it.

DCBBC9E6-051F-486F-BC0E-9AEC3DCD5C14.jpg

Awaiting install is a brand new terminator rack. Buddy is making 1300 horses and doesn't need power steering so yay me for the 130 dollar cobra rack lol.

I'm not good at cataloging so excuse me if this is nothing but updates in random order and crappy cell phone pics!

Congrats on the purchase.  

Looks like you're off to a great start.  I'll keep watching the progress of this one.  

You've gotten yourself quite a few deals.  So far you have a really nice car for less than $1k.  What are your plans for the motor?  You mentioned it was FUBARRED.

Congrats on the purchase.

Looks like you're off to a great start. I'll keep watching the progress of this one.

You've gotten yourself quite a few deals. So far you have a really nice car for less than $1k. What are your plans for the motor? You mentioned it was FUBARRED.

So I have an 86 coupe that I built up pretty nice. Moved and lost the title and so this guy that was buying it backed out. No biggie at ally 5 days a week commuting in the Bay Area leaves me no time to do anything else, like running to dmv and refilling for a new pink. So I thought about parting out the 86. Use the motor and the rand new mgw shifter. Sell everything else but trade the 97 cobra rear end, brand new extreme duty MM adjustable control arms (non coil over) and pan hard bar for an irs and quite possibly do what riosnake did to his, blow the irs apart, dfg powder coat and ftbr bushing kit. I know that tells you a lot more that just the motor situation but yea lol

So I have an 86 coupe that I built up pretty nice. Moved and lost the title and so this guy that was buying it backed out. No biggie at ally 5 days a week commuting in the Bay Area leaves me no time to do anything else, like running to dmv and refilling for a new pink. So I thought about parting out the 86. Use the motor and the rand new mgw shifter. Sell everything else but trade the 97 cobra rear end, brand new extreme duty MM adjustable control arms (non coil over) and pan hard bar for an irs and quite possibly do what riosnake did to his, blow the irs apart, dfg powder coat and ftbr bushing kit. I know that tells you a lot more that just the motor situation but yea lol

That's a great plan. I'm hoping to powdercoat my IRS frame and get the FTBR bushings by spring time next year. 

I'd hate to see a perfectly good notch be parted out like that.  But I guess you gotta do what ya gotta do.  

What has been done to the engine in the '86?

That's a great plan. I'm hoping to powdercoat my IRS frame and get the FTBR bushings by spring time next year.

I'd hate to see a perfectly good notch be parted out like that. But I guess you gotta do what ya gotta do.

What has been done to the engine in the '86?

The engine in the 86 is all stock. But it is not an 86 engine so I would probably re gasket it, cam, maybe an intake if I could find an rpm2 for a good deal. Run it as is. I don't have the budget to build a full motor right now. I even thought about trading the whole car for a aftermarket block stroker short block

strapping the hood to a carolla roof shows dedication...i like :2thumb:

the fr500's look a tad rough but savable?? going to refinish those or do they just need cleaned up?

Tony it's comments like that, that will keep me going haha I'm dying off that one. The og hood, right side view mirror and I think even the rims, have F****** house paint on them lol! Hood has since been replaced obviously, my friend, with some really nice race cars, is giving me some side view mirrors off a 95 cobra, and as for wheels.....I want to trade them for chrome saleens in 18x9/10 set up. If I get them blasted and painted I won't get rid of them. To much effort involved. Rather just trade if someone is willing

Hydrodip the wheels!!!!!!

If my black chrome doesn't last that's what I'm doing to mine!!!!!

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Wish that was an option. But I have to go with 18's on this car. Sn95's don't look right to me on 17's

did some running around late last night and aired up that rear flat. Scrubbed at the rim with my finger nail, surprisingly enough, whatever paint they put on the wheels flaked off really easy. So I went and bought some 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper. Question; wet or dry sand? Looks to be chrome under neath also.

Another choice I find myself having to make is what parts to buy lol! Found a full interior (black and tan) out of a 98 cobra that supposedly came out the car and into storage at 34k miles. Get this, 300 bucks for everything besides seats and headliner. Dude flaked on me Wednesday and won't meet with me after 8 so he's got a guy coming tonight that will probably buy it if he's not an idiot. Other option is a near new polished accufab 70mm fox set up (yes I want to run a fox set up) for 200. Decisions decisions. What would you do?

you sure the wheels are plasti-dipped?

Definitely not plasti dipped. I think it might be house paint like I said. They did the factory hood, one of the mirrors and a quick blast on all4 wheels. Here's hoping it comes off with ease and reveals a usable chrome wheel under neath

did some running around late last night and aired up that rear flat. Scrubbed at the rim with my finger nail, surprisingly enough, whatever paint they put on the wheels flaked off really easy. So I went and bought some 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper. Question; wet or dry sand? Looks to be chrome under neath also.

Another choice I find myself having to make is what parts to buy lol! Found a full interior (black and tan) out of a 98 cobra that supposedly came out the car and into storage at 34k miles. Get this, 300 bucks for everything besides seats and headliner. Dude flaked on me Wednesday and won't meet with me after 8 so he's got a guy coming tonight that will probably buy it if he's not an idiot. Other option is a near new polished accufab 70mm fox set up (yes I want to run a fox set up) for 200. Decisions decisions. What would you do?

anything over 400 grit and with out water you will find the paper gets clogged up pretty quick.  Also 1500-2000 is great for polishing but if your wanting to try to go through that layer I would try some 1000 grit.  As he said power washing would probably help.  You Didn't use any wheel cleaner on them recently did you?  If not you might try some to see if it will take the paint off.

Through a quart of oil in the motor to diagnose the leak.

0C9E0C17-8160-4FA3-8BAE-668C7956C5E8.jpg

Very small pin hole I might just jack the motor up and throw in a new pan and gasket. To much cleaning and hoping involved for welding it shut and jb weld is a 50/50 from what I understand.

I'm doing some research on a good quality beginners dslr camera. Once the pan is fixed I can start driving it. On a side note, missing some hardware at the passenger side collector. Anybody got a preference on what really holds on for the ride so to speak?

damn you really narrowed it down exactly lol! i look for days for leaks and RARELY have any luck. as for jb weld......i too hear good and bad but i've used it on a radiator and i'll be damned if it didn't last the whole time i owned the car lol. 

So I made a lot of headway a today. More of purchases and come ups rather than installs!

200 bucks got me an almost complete Black and Tan interior from a 98 cobra. I need to go back for the dash but this stuff is so clean and after seeing what @95riosnake did to his 98 console I was sold on that yea specifically!

Also I stopped by my buddy Jason's house and say his 2 track cars and he gave me the side view mirrors. Passenger side is red and the harness is clipped but I'll use my harness and just swap it in. While I was there we talked about tires for race cars, he's running race style ccw classics 17x11 front 17x12 rears (I think that's right) 295's up front and 315's and sometimes 335's in the back. Long story short he GAVE ME 4 295 Hoosiers and 2 235 Hoosiers! Today was a good day! Also @tony and @95riosnake how much did the steering wheel wrap cost? I want mine to be 2 tone Black and Tan perforated with the thumb bolsters like a mix between fr500 and 10th anniversary. I know you can't quote that specific application but what did yours cost of you don't mind spilling the beans

A few pics of my buddy's race cars. 1 you'll recognize, 1 is just a personal car.

EA12EDA9-D1B0-4F7A-B62D-A756B53A71DB.jpg

7D893D88-D117-4786-B133-1C277F2FCA2B.jpg

05D649E3-5053-42F2-8474-D2F8F8A6FFE4.jpg

C86599DB-A6FF-48D4-B037-AACEC22EEAA1.jpg

Car makes 500+ he wants more power lol I won't go into detail as most of you will probably know the car

This lil black notch is VADER Griggs everything wide fiberglass front end hci 18" sve drifts

6DADCF0A-BF9F-4BA6-A20A-8AC5330F2A5F.jpg

And here is a 335!

8CA1D263-CD6D-43C6-87C9-99855014CF87.jpg

E3A09389-C957-4904-9FF6-6B17C29337BB.jpg

A lil project on the side view mirror and paint I should be looking a ok in no time!!

B3A059ED-8057-4C08-A142-0BBA64A07520.jpg

Will you please post pics of the internals on the power mirrors when you take that apart!?!?

I have holographic flood lights that I need to install and was gonna put them in the bottom of my doors.

Problem is as low as the car will sit it will make lighted emblem on ground too small so my alternative is the mirrors but not sure if there's enough room with the motor for the mirror.

Awesome score by the way!!!!

Will you please post pics of the internals on the power mirrors when you take that apart!?!?

I have holographic flood lights that I need to install and was gonna put them in the bottom of my doors.

Problem is as low as the car will sit it will make lighted emblem on ground too small so my alternative is the mirrors but not sure if there's enough room with the motor for the mirror.

Awesome score by the way!!!!

I snapped it all apart but no pics but I will tell you this, if the hologram thingy is as big as a cigarette lighter or close to you might have to sacrifice the motor. Behind the grommet is 2 long arms then there is a circular "cup" that houses the motor and the glass just has a receiving cup with plastic clips it snaps into. I'll take pic later if you still need it

So I made a lot of headway a today. More of purchases and come ups rather than installs!

200 bucks got me an almost complete Black and Tan interior from a 98 cobra. I need to go back for the dash but this stuff is so clean and after seeing what @95riosnake did to his 98 console I was sold on that yea specifically!

Also I stopped by my buddy Jason's house and say his 2 track cars and he gave me the side view mirrors. Passenger side is red and the harness is clipped but I'll use my harness and just swap it in. While I was there we talked about tires for race cars, he's running race style ccw classics 17x11 front 17x12 rears (I think that's right) 295's up front and 315's and sometimes 335's in the back. Long story short he GAVE ME 4 295 Hoosiers and 2 235 Hoosiers! Today was a good day! Also @tony and @95riosnake how much did the steering wheel wrap cost? I want mine to be 2 tone Black and Tan perforated with the thumb bolsters like a mix between fr500 and 10th anniversary. I know you can't quote that specific application but what did yours cost of you don't mind spilling the beans

i had to buy a complete wheel :/ but i think dallassteering wheel raps them for 200'ish not 100% on that tho

Yeah if you could I'd appreciate it. I'm wondering if I can modify the "cup" that the motor is in to create some clearance. What ever pics you can take of inside and what's inside that would be awesome!!!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Here is the window with no mirror

D9785991-8C32-4302-9F25-1E9BF9643B65.jpg

Window with 19mm 2 1-2" tall socket this is about the only place I could put it

Yeah if you could I'd appreciate it. I'm wondering if I can modify the "cup" that the motor is in to create some clearance. What ever pics you can take of inside and what's inside that would be awesome!!!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Here is the window with no mirror

D9785991-8C32-4302-9F25-1E9BF9643B65.jpg

Window with 19mm 2 1-2" tall socket this is about the only place I could put it

53E83A9A-25D3-49C5-AA0D-91CD99EE9B94.jpg

I got all the interior beside the steering wheel and dash swapped in, kicks, door sills, door panels, center console, rear panels left and right. Excuse the rear seats I will replace those ASAP

E58EF110-083A-4B58-9AAE-6EF5903F46B6.jpg

91A0DF08-C120-4FB4-A958-F88236E94686.jpg

I am however having a problem with the driver side sill plate. The space between the kick panel and rear panels isn't long enough and the sill plate can't access all the holes to seat correctly, thus, when I shut the driver side door the plate pops up and the door panel does come up a bit to. What's different about a 98 to 95 over there? Or is my kick panel not seated back far enough?

Edit: there was one of those metal clips stuck on the sill plate turn down the alarm lol