Josh@RideTech

found some water in places it shouldn't be

A little bit of backstory that I think may be the cause of this.  Around the 300 mile mark, I had to pull the lower intake to fix a PCV issue that I was having (my fault, I forgot to rivet the pcv splash guard in).  At that time it got new gaskets and then several miles put on it.  I re-torqued the lower intake after a few heat cycles and called it good.  

Fast forward to now, the engine now has ~975 miles on it.  I had the upper intake off a couple of weeks ago and figured it was worthwhile to check the lower intake bolts as I had suspected a small vacuum leak.  They were definitely not at the torque spec that I had previously tightened everything down to.  I re-torqued them again to 20 ft lbs and drove the car to work for a couple of days (ran much better, no idle issue, blah blah blah).  

I decided to change the oil last night and put it up for the winter.  After draining the oil I notice some water/antifreeze drops in the oil, and I find some water/oil mixture up in the oil cap too (attached pic).  I haven't noticed any water coming out of the tail pipes other than the typical condensation from it being < 30* here, so I don't feel like it's a head gasket issue.  

I'm thinking that the lower intake loosening up might've allowed some coolant to run down into the oil galley.  That's what I'm hoping at least.  I really just don't want to see the bearings start getting chewed up.  There could be some condensation too as the car sits in an un-heated garage.  Thoughts?  @95riosnake @Det_Riot

oilcap.JPG

I know that I've noticed this on my cap on occasion as well and it was just a matter of condensation build up. As long as the rest of your oil that you drained didn't duplicate this same milky look I'd be willing to venture a guess that her internals are still spick and span. A few drops of antifreeze could definitely of been the lower intake but if you had a full fledged leak than I'd definitely suspect more of that cream looking stuff in your oil

52 minutes ago, Det_Riot said:

I know that I've noticed this on my cap on occasion as well and it was just a matter of condensation build up. As long as the rest of your oil that you drained didn't duplicate this same milky look I'd be willing to venture a guess that her internals are still spick and span. A few drops of antifreeze could definitely of been the lower intake but if you had a full fledged leak than I'd definitely suspect more of that cream looking stuff in your oil

That's what I'm hoping.  The rest of the oil still looked like regular used oil for the most part.  It's still spitting out some assembly lube from when it was built so that also discolors it and doesn't help.  My gut tells me that it was from the lower not being completely torqued down but now I'm a little hesitant to run it with the new oil even.  @Det_Riot

If i were in your shoes here would be my game plan:

-Let everything drain overnight

-Seal everything else up tomorrow, torqued, buttoned up, ready to run

-Pressure test the coolant system for seal

-If all goes well, put new oil in it and let it run, drive it about 250 miles, then do another oil change and send a sample out to blackstone labs

The first tool you need is this.

41nsGgaYdoL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Zone-CZ230E-Mount-Heater/dp/B01ANZHULI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1482854104&sr=8-3&keywords=garage+heater&refinements=p_89%3AComfort+Zone

On the lowest setting (3000w) with the thermostat turned all the way down it keeps my garage at 50 degrees 24/7. I just turn it up a little bit before I am going to be doing any work in the garage. You have to run a dedicated 30a 230v circuit for it but that's not too bad.

Regarding the milk, I would say Bryan's advice is the best bet. Drain and change oil, double check all torques, and start it up. Let it warm up and check to see if you still have milk. 

If you were seeing metal shavings in the oil you would need to worry, but some coolant in the oil isn't necessarily anything to lose a lot of sleep over. Worst case scenario would be you might end up having to pull the heads and do new gaskets, but that probably won't be the case.

i agree.  if the entire oil came out looking like that then yeah youre in for a lot of work, but since it's only the oil cap and the intake wasn't tight...i also think your fine.  tighten it back up, do a pressure test, if that turns out good, drive it and check it.

Thanks guys!   @95riosnake @Prokiller

The oil that came out definitely didn't look like that, thank the lord... It wasn't perfect thought either.  I really believe the issue was from the lower intake but I'll be doing the pressure test as soon as I can!  I hear we're getting snow tomorrow so this may be a little bit of a delayed process.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Josh@RideTech

is jasper on the french toast emergency like they are here?  I mean don't get me wrong I have seen us get 14" of "flurries" but they are talking an inch or so and everyone is acting like a blizzard is coming

17 hours ago, ttocs said:

is jasper on the french toast emergency like they are here?  I mean don't get me wrong I have seen us get 14" of "flurries" but they are talking an inch or so and everyone is acting like a blizzard is coming

Haha, something like that.  We've got maybe an inch today and they're cancelling all kinds of events and telling everyone to stay off the roads.  :lol: