WildWillyWalker

2004 #58 SC Saleen

Just copying this from PennMustangs.com. I'll post the dates that I posted these since it was all done a while ago. I've had this car a little over two years now.

2/15/11:

Well, I never posted pictures up on here of my "new" car (which I bought in May of 2010) so I figured I would. When my '86 broke I got mad and thought I'd go buy my dream car; a Terminator. I found this car for sale at a local used car dealership and was in awe. A Saleen never popped into my head because I always thought they were so rare. I still regret my decision a little because that monster alum. supercharged 4.6 and IRS are droolable. Oh and not to mention this is now for sale which I saw at Mustang Week last year: http://warnermotors.com/details.asp?d=8511091&s=99666

Yeah... sick. I hoped to finish my fox body by winter but nope... I've been driving the Saleen straight through, except on snowy days because it doesn't move and I already got it stuck once....

Mods when bought:

Pulley

373 Gears

SCT XCal

V-Force Mufflers

2 Rear cats cut off

Pioneer head unit (with a screen and the worst navigation ever)

3x 10" Subs Memphis Audio with some monsterous amp

What I did so far:

Took it to get tuned at SGS Performance (now DGH I believe) (This is where I found out it had a pulley pushing 10 lbs and 373s gear. Then a few weeks after someone commented on my video on youtube.com telling me this information because apparently they used to own it. Also, I another owner at Mustang Week. And the carfax said it had one owner... psht.)

333hp/363 tq

UPR o/r X-Pipe

Tinted Tail lights (not installed yet)

Grille Delete

HIDs

Future mods (by Mustang Week for sure):

Dark Smoked Head Lights

Sequential Tail Lights

Black Chrome Saleen wheels (18x9 and 18x10 just like it currently has)

Borla Stinger mufflers welded in

Distant future mods:

Kenne Bell and/or 4v swap with a Kenne Bell (never going to happen....)

Video was when it had the h-pipe with 2 cats. Honestly, it sounds like crap now with the x-pipe.

Pictures are from previous-current

SaleenPicturesHersheyHotel005.jpg

SaleenPicturesHersheyHotel010.jpg

SaleenPicturesHersheyHotel022.jpg

IMG_5653.jpg

SaleenInteriorandCats023.jpg

SaleenInteriorandCats029.jpg

SaleenInteriorandCats030.jpg

SaleenInteriorandCats031.jpg

SaleenInteriorandCats033.jpg

SaleenInteriorandCats034.jpg

SaleenInteriorandCats036.jpg

4/19/11:

I finally put my tinted tail lights in after waiting for the salt to get washed away. I also have a terminator dual fuel pump assembly and terminator fuel tank ready to put in my car. Once I get some money I'll be buying Borla Stinger mufflers and taking it to DGR performance to get installed/retuned. I might get a new supercharger pulley too because mine is all rusty from the winter weather.

2011-04-18_14-05-08_613.jpg

2011-04-18_14-15-00_157.jpg

2011-04-18_14-29-56_604.jpg

2011-04-18_14-30-16_659.jpg

1/28/12:

I haven't updated this in... a long time. Let's see. Last year I put on a UPR o/r x-pipe and now my car sounds HORRIBLE!!! Sometimes it will literally sound like a 4 cyl. My computer blows so I haven't uploaded any videos of it. I added some tinted head lights and a wrinkle black horsey. The fuel tank and such is in. It needs tuned because it hesitates if you try to shift hard at all. I think that's about all.

As always, plans change... mostly because of money. I didn't get most of the things done I wanted so they're still on the list. I got some CJ Pony Parts gift cards and I'm saving up with the money I get from parting out my '86. I'm half way to getting American Racing Headers 1 3/4 long tubes + o/r xpipe. I'll install them (with help of course), then buy Borla Stingers and have them installed and the car tuned. After that I'm going for MM front coilovers and flat black Saleen wheels. I'm hoping (again) to have it all by Mustang Week. Here is a link to my facebook album which has all my pictures. I'll attached what I have from photbucket as well. The car is currently under a cover at my buddy's house until March/April.

Broke my belt at Mustang Week on the way to drag night. 20 minutes out of the beach, we had to go back and get me a belt.

MustangWeekCarShowAndCruise001.jpg

MustangWeekCarShowAndCruise002.jpg

MustangWeekCarShowAndCruise004.jpg

MustangWeekCarShowAndCruise089.jpg

MustangWeekCarShowAndCruise090.jpg

MustangWeekCarShowAndCruise092.jpg

MustangWeekCarShowAndCruise094.jpg

Tinted headlights:

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

4/8/12:

I don't feel like using photobucket and actually putting pictures here. It takes too long. Follow the link to my facebook album and you'll see all the pictures. The first album has pictures of the headers and install. The second one has pictures from PSI Speed Solutions where I had my Stinger mufflers installed and the car retuned. After I installed the headers, the car didn't run well so it sat for a while until I could get it tuned. On the first pull the car made 340/360 with no changes. It made about 7 hp more than before the headers. Frank at PSI let it sit for quite some time before making the last pull. After a nice long cool down, he made another pull and it ended up pushings 357hp/359tq. Next on the list of fun mods is coilovers and matte black Saleen wheels. The only problem is that my supercharger coolant pump is leaking. I'm probably going to get a Lightning pump which will cost me around $200. Also, I need to change to an 03/04 Cobra fdpm because I get a hesitation after a fast shift and I still have the stock fdpm. Lastly, I'm hoping my hydroboost unit makes it through MW because that's leaking and making my steering hard.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150623687088576.399776.599838575&type=3&l=78a67801a2

You'll like all the cars at PSI. These things are nasty. The Camaro sports a record. Shit's fast.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150682595443576.408455.599838575&type=3&l=706ec5e767

6/22/12:

Here's a long over due update with only one picuture. :(

I'm not a big fan of how the car is running. I went back to the tuner and he richened it up a little which helped a little with cold start ups. I still have random problems where I watch my gauge go lean and the car feels like crap. It's usually when the car is cold and I just started driving. I have yet to do my PPRV delete but that will happen soon.

I've installed MM front coilovers with 275lb springs, MM C/C plates, MM extreme duty RLCA's (from my fox), H&R rear super race springs, and flat black Saleen wheels. I have a bunch of small things to get done before Mustang Week; alignment (next week), PPRV delete, Saleen windshield banner, rear bumper insterts, and install my Lightning coolant pump. I think there's more.... Whatever, like the drop?

2012-06-19_09-28-58_896.jpg

Edited by WildWillyWalker

7/11/12:

Took all night to load my pictures.... I installed a lightning supercharger coolant pump since mine was leaking and was rather loud. I just have to put on my windshield decal, stainless bumper inserts, and center cap decals. I had a sign shop make me saleen decals in flat black and blue. I'm so pumped to get them on.

2012-07-07_18-27-52_283.jpg

2012-07-07_18-50-05_425.jpg

2012-07-07_18-50-16_812.jpg

2012-07-07_19-22-41_266.jpg

Look at this guy doing work:

2012-07-07_18-53-53_601.jpg

8/10/12:

While at MW my supercharger started making some noise. I opened my hood the last day at the car show and my belt only had 4 ribs. We took a drive and I got a new belt afterwards. About a week after MW, I was driving to work to meet up to cruise to a car show. On the way there my supercharger pulley fell off. I lost the pulley for good so I'm pretty much screwed. Four bolts hold the pulley on. One is totally gone, and the heads snapped off the other three. No one makes that pulley anymore, especially mine since it's a smaller aftermarket pulley. I just bought a GT belt so I'm going to bypass the s/c just to move it around. I think it's going to sit until next year and I'm going to try and save up for a 2.8 Kenne Bell.

I won't be able to take any pictures of my car for a while so here's all I got. These are all from my friend's at MW.

2012MWBlvd1.jpg

2012MWCarShow1.jpg

2012MWCarShow2.jpg

2012MWCarShow4.jpg

2012MWCarShow5.jpg

2012MWCarShow8.jpg

2012MWCarShow9.jpg

2012MWHooters1.jpg

2012MWHooters5.jpg

2012MWHotel1.jpg

2012MWMeetnGreet1.jpg

8/11/12:

welp, I gave in and purchased a 99 Cobra shortblock at work. Apparently it was a turbo'd Cobra and there is a nice chunk missing from one piston. It looks like the block is fine though. Me and my buddy have been doing a lot of reading on mod motors lately. We both purchased "4.6-liter ford engine" books from Sean Hyland Motorsports and I have the DVD on the way. I'm hoping to get a 2.8 Kenne Bell, run low boost, then slowly build a stout motor, swap it in and up to boost. Seems easy now anyway. I plan for this to be one long build. No immediate plans to have anything machined or have the shortblock built. I got it for $250 from work.

aefc40e9-e2a8-eb5b.jpg

aefc40e9-e2d0-5edc.jpg

car looks good man! But damn does it make me feel good that my lil' n/a car can run with yours boosted ;) hehe.

oh and Teksid blocks are FTW!!!

Yeah dude, my car's power is pretty pathetic. It's whatever. I hope to upgrade and get a 2.8 Kenne Bell after winter which will give me more than enough hp to destroy that motor, hence, Teksid. :D

No. A lot of them just tend to

It's because they're not reinforced. I'm sure it's from High speed and having air push down on it, much like the cobra R mess. If you go over 105mph with the real cobra bumper with cobra R splitter it will actually crack the bumper from downforce, and topping that, if you continue a high rate of speed you actually tear the headlight panel apart. just poor design of the bumpers unfortunately :(

It's because they're not reinforced. I'm sure it's from High speed and having air push down on it, much like the cobra R mess. If you go over 105mph with the real cobra bumper with cobra R splitter it will actually crack the bumper from downforce, and topping that, if you continue a high rate of speed you actually tear the headlight panel apart. just poor design of the bumpers unfortunately :(

Shit, I didn't even know that. I guess you learn something new everyday. :)

Awesome car for sure, it'll be a beast with that 2.8 on it. I love the black wheels paired with the dark headlights and drop, looks mean as hell. I like the audio setup personally, nice and simple/clean.

Shit, I didn't even know that. I guess you learn something new everyday. :)

This is why they put huge structural supports in the lower air dam on the roush front. Allows you to go a high rate of speed without destroying the bumper or generating too much front down force.

But enough going off topic lol. Can't wait to see what it does Willy and dont feel bad about your power setup that blower is small and very limited with what can be done with it, I'm sure it's still a blast to drive though!

Superspeeders

The D3V

New shift knob. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet....

3esubuja.jpg

Picture better not be sideways....

I joined soec.org and someone sold me a stock s/c pulley shipped to my door. It came from Canada too. Nice fellow. I tapped the holea for the supercharger bolts. I also took a file to the snout of the supercharger. I feel like the pulley is going to rub so I'm nervous. The hunt is on for some grade 8 allen head bolts tomorrow. I even got torque specs from Saleen to make sure I don't over torque these little guys. Hopefully the pulley doesn't rub and.the supercharger doesn't make any noise....

tupavu4u.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Nice car.

Do you have any pics of the Saleen blower / inatke manifold off the car? I've always wondered why their twin screw with more boost made less power than the M90 sets up Roush used with less boost on the same year. Something has to be off somewhere for that compressor to not make solid power.

Nice car.

Do you have any pics of the Saleen blower / inatke manifold off the car? I've always wondered why their twin screw with more boost made less power than the M90 sets up Roush used with less boost on the same year. Something has to be off somewhere for that compressor to not make solid power.[/quote

my friends car had a bad heat exchanger and that's where he was losing a lot of power his car made over 400 to the tires back on the original motor. But now it's a 5.0 stroker with ported Saleen blower. You can make good power with them. He's upgrading to a kb as well tho

Haven't been in here for ever. Fail. I don't think I ever mentioned this, but after the header install I went to get tuned and the first pull made 340hp. So right off the bat I gained about 7hp. This was before tuning, but nothing really changed. This is the funny part. He let the car cool down for at least an hour to try one last pull and it made 357hp/359tq. Yeah... these things lose power like crazy once the blower gets hot.

I decided to finally fix my rearend last year because the whining was getting on my nerves (effect from wheel hop on the highway when my belt broke a while back). This was a perfect time to upgrade to 31 spline diff/axles. I opted for the 03/04 Cobra diff and Superior axles. After three months of waiting on the axles, I gave up and bought Yukon axles. Sleeperstang got me most of the bearings and I bought the Cobra rear brake upgrade cuz dem der stock rear brakes look like they are sized for a lawn mower. Here's my writeup: http://www.cjponyparts.com/mustang-ford-31-spline-8-8-differential-2003-2004-installation-instructions/a/446/

Tons of pictures. The differential bearings came off by hand.... The surface of the diff was pitted. Sooo, the rearend is together, and still making noise, LOL. No clue why. We torqued the pinion properly but I could just careless right now. It will stay together until it breaks.

By the way, I'd never recommend those axles because I had SO MANY problems. These are all direct fit parts, yet the axles were sticking out 3/16" too far. Washers were used to space out the brake caliper bracket and the rotor still isn't centered perfectly. You can fit just your fingernail between the rotor and bracket on the wheel side. To give the stang a better look, some 1/2" spacers were installed on the rear. Looked perfect. Mind you, all my fenders had already been rolled before I even got the car. Left work the first day after the spacers were installed, bam, ripped my right rear tire and pulled the fender lip in the front of the wheel. No go on the spacers.... Tried to use a fender roller but it couldn't reach the f'd up fender spot so I redneck-ly used vice grips.

The Kenne Bell idea is ditched for now since the supercharger isn't making noise so I've focused on buying seats. Just in the waiting process on Corbeau FX1s, harnesses and a harness bar. Once I figure out if I will have any money left, a repaint of the front bumper is in order. The four holes for the grille are going to be filled in and that area needs flattened out as it is warped.

Here are a few pictures from a car meet I went to at FDR Park in Philly. The graffiti on the skate park is epic.

FDRPhillyMeet331_zpsf545438a.jpg

FDRPhillyMeet333_zps931ed1e0.jpg

FDRPhillyMeet338_zps7ebf38c6.jpg

FDRPhillyMeet417_zps98c3c8e9.jpg

FDRPhillyMeet422_zps44537f5d.jpg

Your car is so damn clean! Glad to see you making progress on her. Did you shim the rear end correct and everything? Wonder if its just the axles causing the problem

Yeah. We actually reused the same thick, one piece shims and the paint looked decent. I noticed the pin in the differential is about 1/8" thicker than the stock 28 spline pin. That would account for 1/16" per side. However, I measured the axles a bunch of times side by side. The Yukon axles are possibly 1/16" longer but it's too close to tell using a tape measure.