Brian

The Great Coilover Debate

In all honesty what do you know about them you only go off what you read ? Brian you all of sudden think ur some suspension guru I simply said it ain't as bad you make it out to be. It's intended for drag racing and does a great job at that. I should get my drag car on the lift so you guys can see the quality worksmanship in there stuff. I know plenty of people running there k members on daily driven street cars for years with out cracking or failing etc

Edited by Det_Riot

I'm not sure where you think I'm a "suspension guru", that's pretty funny. Show me ONE post where I self-proclaim that. So you can take that bullshit elsewhere.

I have multiple friends locally who have UPR setups. From 11 second to 8 second cars. I've driven multiple cars with the UPR setup hence why I said they are a "great bang for your buck setup and isn't too harsh for the street/daily driving".

The quality between MM and UPR are VASTLY different with MM being superior in almost every way. From all the research I've done regarding suspension setups for open track style racing, UPR is basically nonexistent and there's good reason.

How are you going to sit here and argue with me that they are better for drag then open track (which is exactly what I said) and you just said it.......?

Personally, I've seen more pictures of your cars sitting in your shop then you actually doing anything with them. Since you're randomly taking stabs at me, just saying. You aren't the ONLY person who has experience. Stop thinking you are.

Sure on street cars. But you wont see one person that would risk using UPR parts on a road course. The quality is just not there to be able to handle it. I've personally seen UPR control arms break at the welds.

If you look up UPR part broke vs. Maximum Motorsports part broke, you won't be able to find one result for MM versus several for UPR. Does UPR rectify and replace the part that broke? sure, but, I wouldn't risk it especially since they have a history of breaking.

I used to run a full Griggs suspension on my white car, the quality between MM and Griggs was about the same, the welds were incredible, but, that being said, the sales rep at Griggs told me he did not recommend running that suspension on the street as it was not designed to handle the abuse of daily driving. I disregarded his statements and still ran it and it was fine, but, if The manufacturer says they don't recommend it, I would become slightly worried about durability in the long run.

This all being said, I'm not an MM whore. I run whats affordable and gives me decent performance. I care more about setting the cars suspension up the way it should be than the actual suspension components themselves. Money can buy you the best suspension in the world but it doesn't do you any good if you don't know how to set it up intelligently and be able to determine the feedback it's providing in order to adjust it to better suit the driver.

In a perfect world I'd run the Agent 47 Double A-Arm suspension with a Griggs Watts Link and Torque Arm along with a set of Griggs Rear Coilovers. That's honestly the very best quality an performing setup you can run, but tell me, how many do you see running it? The cost is more than what the performance is even worth... Or even better, how come Maximum Motorsports has won AIX for numerous years in a row over Agent 47 and Griggs? UPR doesn't even have a presence anywhere in the road racing community and it's a good thing too.

I own both setups and as for my cars sitting around in my shop who cares what I do with them atleast I built the cars from the ground up my self.

I have cars with full suspension from the ground up from both manufactures listed as far as coilovers go the sleeves are pretty much the same you an go about a solid 1" atleast lower with mm tho which would Burry the wheels in the wheel wells and almost make the car look bagged. I like the look of mm sleeves because there black tho. I never said UPR could compete on a open road course with a mm suspension car. If I could do my car over I wouldn't have went MM but for the price I couldn't go wrong that's for sure the car handles like no other mustang I've been in before. So yes your right mm is great for road racing and open track.

Edited by Det_Riot

Just wrap a piece of 1/4in flat plate around the mounting points and weld it up. DONE!!!! Run em. Sure everyone will tell you to spend money on big fancy shit cause they dont know how to improve on a inferiour part.

Sure on street cars. But you wont see one person that would risk using UPR parts on a road course. The quality is just not there to be able to handle it. I've personally seen UPR control arms break at the welds.

If you look up UPR part broke vs. Maximum Motorsports part broke, you won't be able to find one result for MM versus several for UPR. Does UPR rectify and replace the part that broke? sure, but, I wouldn't risk it especially since they have a history of breaking.

I used to run a full Griggs suspension on my white car, the quality between MM and Griggs was about the same, the welds were incredible, but, that being said, the sales rep at Griggs told me he did not recommend running that suspension on the street as it was not designed to handle the abuse of daily driving. I disregarded his statements and still ran it and it was fine, but, if The manufacturer says they don't recommend it, I would become slightly worried about durability in the long run.

This all being said, I'm not an MM whore. I run whats affordable and gives me decent performance. I care more about setting the cars suspension up the way it should be than the actual suspension components themselves. Money can buy you the best suspension in the world but it doesn't do you any good if you don't know how to set it up intelligently and be able to determine the feedback it's providing in order to adjust it to better suit the driver.

In a perfect world I'd run the Agent 47 Double A-Arm suspension with a Griggs Watts Link and Torque Arm along with a set of Griggs Rear Coilovers. That's honestly the very best quality an performing setup you can run, but tell me, how many do you see running it? The cost is more than what the performance is even worth... Or even better, how come Maximum Motorsports has won AIX for numerous years in a row over Agent 47 and Griggs? UPR doesn't even have a presence anywhere in the road racing community and it's a good thing too.

Yea agent 47 is baller. I never said UPR would be ok on the road course I know it wouldn't be. Your prolly right about mm stuff not breaking as well. There lower control arms are heavy as fuck just like all there stuff so good luck breaking it.

There is no comparing mm to UPR Detroit they have two different jobs intended for there use.

hey i'm not getting into the argument, i'm just keeping it ontrack lol

this has definitely deterred from UPR and MM from the giddy up.

UPR:

65868d1259641363-upr-chromemoly-lcas-f-s-img_0072.jpg

Maximum Motorsports:

LCA12.jpg

i had UPR LCAs for 3 years on my red bomber. i currently have MM LCAs. both have their good and bad points. i changed from UPR simply because i originally intended to take turns. whether that was AIX or roadrace. i installed the MM Pan Hard Bar and wanted instant compatibility and adjustability.

Pros:

UPR - more affordable then MM. Lighter even for Chro-mo too.

MM - Adjustability, hands down adjustable.

Both - exceptional weld quality and durability. if you have to replace bushings. Very easy.

Cons:

UPR - powdercoat was fair.

MM - price new.

Edited by SniveTroll

Well when i had my black car i was happier then a pig in shit when i ordered my MMR coil over kit. Pic showed Black anodized parts and silver powder coated springs and the kit looked great. Yet i got a set of Bright ass yellow coils, and everything looked cheap IMO. But function over form so i stuck everything in. Had nice timken bearings atleast...

The sleeve fell on the strut and did not fit right over the section where the strut bolts on and the notch in the sleeve has a small tear in the actual aluminum from me taping it down were it was supposed to sit. They made a ton of noise and the adjuster was a PITA to move after the car was driven for only a few miles like it had already messed up the threads :(

I have wanted to try the UPR kit for a long time now, I had a Chrome moly K Member and a set of A arms from UPR that i had picked up for the black car a few years back and the quality was great and the weight was next to nothing and if the coil overs are anything like the k members i wouldn't be scared to try them out but i was sceptical because of the prev MMR kit...

post-74-13881836543626_thumb.jpg

Those look nice. The nex coilovers look nice as well couple guys run them I've yet to try them or know anybody locally that has but they look like nice quality from what I've seen. As far as sleeves go some are garbage and like the mm UPR and team z sleeves etc are all pretty similar paired with a good spring rate and shock they will all perform well in the turns. Running a 175lb spring or 150lb you can't expect to throw that thing in a turn going super fast if ur running some sloppy valved strut like a 90/10.

Im not sure on this but if you used pretty much any sleeve with a good spring rate like 300 or greater upfront I'm almost certain with a decent strut koni, bilstein, strange that you could prolly achieve some great handling.

I run a 350lb spring in the front and 250 in the rear on my fox they are the hyper coils that mm reccomended with bilsteins the car handles awesome. I've even took it to the track a bunch of times with slicks and skinnys on it and was surprised it was still cutting 1.6 sixty foots with ease. I want to buy some Griggs coilovers next or something where there built into the shock and strut not a coilover conversion.

If I had money to burn, my car would be sporting KW Variant3's on all 4 corners but unfortunately $2500-2800 for their full kit with IRS-specific rears wasn't in the cards lol.

MM is the best sleeve-style coil over IMO, with Team Z a close second. A true coilover with a threaded body is the best way to go, but also out of most people's budgets.

KW is the only company who currently makes a threaded body coilover for the IRS, so I am going to have to stick with my MM setup for now.

Edited by 95riosnake

i have Granatelli on the front mine since 07. yes i did type that. they have held well. i take turns well in the front. i LOVED the 10" 300 lb springs. i have 14" 175lbs in now. they are on KYB struts. they arent something to write home about but they have been troopers.

I'm running 400/250lbs MM coil-overs... they're a bit rough for the street, but DANG do they ever handle. Body roll is almost non existent and the car is extremely predictable. That, and it only takes me 15-20min. to raise the ride height. They're pretty quiet too. Every once and a while I can hear the rears jump around on driveway entries, but very rarely and it hasn't hurt anything. I give it a two thumbs up.

Just race valved rear Bilsteins/MM Coil-over kit and 250lbs springs. That's it. The helper spring would probably be good because the springs become unseated occasionally, but it hasn't damaged anything or whatnot. I just don't think it's worth the money for me right now.

is there a write up somewere about making a handling setup for mustangs? ..all the ones I can find are for making drag setups

The tough thing is there is more than one good setup to run... I'll see what I can type up this evening.

this has definitely deterred from UPR and MM from the giddy up.

UPR:

65868d1259641363-upr-chromemoly-lcas-f-s-img_0072.jpg

Maximum Motorsports:

LCA12.jpg

i had UPR LCAs for 3 years on my red bomber. i currently have MM LCAs. both have their good and bad points. i changed from UPR simply because i originally intended to take turns. whether that was AIX or roadrace. i installed the MM Pan Hard Bar and wanted instant compatibility and adjustability.

Pros:

UPR - more affordable then MM. Lighter even for Chro-mo too.

MM - Adjustability, hands down adjustable.

Both - exceptional weld quality and durability. if you have to replace bushings. Very easy.

Cons:

UPR - powdercoat was fair.

MM - price new.

You're comparing 2 different parts though

granatelli weight jackers are comparable to the adjustabe MMs

GranatelliWeightJackers.jpg

or the comparable MM control arm.....

MMRLCA-1_LG.jpg

With that said, I run these:

MMRLCA-30.jpg

xtreme duty MM's...they seem fine...never ran anything else so cant really compare.

Edited by justinschmidt1

You're comparing 2 different parts though

granatelli weight jackers are comparable to the adjustabe MMs

or the comparable MM control arm.....

With that said, I run these:

xtreme duty MM's...they seem fine...never ran anything else so cant really compare.

This thread was originally about MM. UPR in general. atleast thats how the thread was titled. if it was about LCAs in style then yes GMS to MM.

Any back spacing issues with you c/o? (To anyone)

The D3V

i use a 3/8 spacer to avoid tire rub. i will add that i use Fox non-abs spindles for the brakes i use.