Nacho's_wit_cheez

SRA vs IRS

What is the main use of your car? Sorry slightly confused by your post. You have an SRA and dont know if you would regret not going to an IRS?

What is the main use of your car? Sorry slightly confused by your post. You have an SRA and dont know if you would regret not going to an IRS?

Also confused.

Either setup can be used in almost any situation. You can build a IRS to go to the drag strip and you can build a SRA to run at the open track. IRS can be expensive to build but there are plenty of people who have swapped to IRS and will never go back.

Only reason I didn't go IRS is because I already have a built SRA sitting in my room.

What are your plans? If its street/strip/drag I'd say a build SRA would be a cheaper route but an built IRS would be able to withstand the same punishment. I'm not an expert but just going off of friends experiences.

IRS vs SRA with in OEM form the IRS will out handle the SRA and some people are willing to trade straight up.

More details please :)

Haha sorry guys I mean what are the pros and cons, price vs price you know.

Since you guys said keep the info within the forum I want to get different opinions on different setups and such.

For my application I is a track whore, but also want to be able to drive it on the street and the occasional drag strip.

Price was the SRA will be cheaper to build. Either rear end configuration can be built to withstand any situation. For comfort on the street the IRS will handle better OEM vs OEM. IRS is expensive and the only way to go is the full tilt boogie irs kit.

For what you want I would say go with IRS and the full tilt boogie irs kit. And of course the exhaust change.

I wouldn't buy a kit from MM. There are plenty of people (Cobra owners) trying to get rid of their IRS for SRA. I had a friend just a week or so ago trade his entire rearend which only had 3.73 gears for an entire '03 Cobra IRS with the full tilt boogie kit and billet brace and exhaust..... There are people out there who want them.

If you want to stay SRA it's definitely do-able.

I seriously considered the IRS swap, but kept my solid axle after seeing the $$ difference. Besides, the new boss 302 has a solid axle and kicked the M3's ass.... And I like the rock solid reliability of the solid axle. I built my car as a serious open track road race machine, where the solid axle works just as well as the IRS.

Idk if my testimony helps, just thought I'd share my experience with the sra and setting it up to handle.

SRA:

Pro's

-Comes in GT's/96-98 cobra's stock so you don't have to buy a new one.

-Easily upgraded

- Less weight

-Great setup for drag racing

Con's

-Poor Road Racing performance stock

-Expensive to upgrade and bring up to par with a stock IRS

-When modded, the ride will become extremely rough (torque arm)

-Lots of NVH

IRS

Pro's

-Very Very smooth for street driving

-Almost 100% Bolt-In

-Upgraded IRS's are excellent for road racing

Con's

-Poor Drag Racing Performance Stock

-Expensive to buy

-Expensive to upgrade

-Heavy Weight

-Weak Half-Shafts

-Potential to overheat under hard cornering

-Difficult to change fuel filter

-Have to get an alignment which costs extra

I built my SRA solid. The only thing i don't like is the NVH. The only addition to that is the PHB installed. It rides lovely until i take steep inclined right turns. It clunks. In traffic its docile and predictable. It puts lotion on its skin.

Sent by smoke signals

depends on how it's lowered. Lowering springs without a k-member/bump steer kit will have a lot of bump steer because of the angle of the a-arm relative to the tire and k-member.

I've posted this on a different forum, and I'm going to post this here again.

People will argue back and forward, about what's better on mustang (IRS or SRA). Personally, if you are after complience and feel of the car, I think IRS would probably serve you better in those two ways. Part of that reason is that the two wheels are fully independent from each other (other than sway bar). The other part is the unsprung weight. It is true that IRS as an assumbly weights more than SRA with torque arm and panhard. However, most of that assembly is actually sprung weight that moves with the car. Everything but control arms, axle shafts, and spindles stays with the chassis. On the SRA car however, the entire rear axle torque arm, control arms, and panhard rod are unsprung weight. What that means is that essentially increases the weight of all the moving parts, and they move slower, therefore making the car feel floating in the back

Having said that, as far as absolute grip goes, I don't think I've once said "Man, I wish I had more rear grip". MM rear package is a strong piece that offers a LOT of traction. I've got MM front end as well, and rear still grips harder than front, but I think at this point it has more to do with my weight distribution.

I wouldn't buy a kit from MM. There are plenty of people (Cobra owners) trying to get rid of their IRS for SRA. I had a friend just a week or so ago trade his entire rearend which only had 3.73 gears for an entire '03 Cobra IRS with the full tilt boogie kit and billet brace and exhaust..... There are people out there who want them.

If you want to stay SRA it's definitely do-able.

That cobra owner is an idiot if he made that trade without some cash from your friend on top of the SRA. The FTBR kit is NOT cheap by any means, much less the amount of work to install it on top of the value of the IRS itself.

Props to your friend though on a steal and a half, that's the deal of the century.

+1 that guy got taken behind the wood shed on that deal!!

Theres one point that no one has mentioned. The added bulk of the IRS actually gives the car a better weight distribution.

That cobra owner is an idiot if he made that trade without some cash from your friend on top of the SRA. The FTBR kit is NOT cheap by any means, much less the amount of work to install it on top of the value of the IRS itself.

Props to your friend though on a steal and a half, that's the deal of the century.

Yeah I know. It blew my mind when he posted it and he's a straight up guy so it's not like he'd lie about it. Maybe he threw cash on top and forgot to mention haha. I'm jealous to say the least. FTBR kits are retarded expensive.

+1 that guy got taken behind the wood shed on that deal!!

Theres one point that no one has mentioned. The added bulk of the IRS actually gives the car a better weight distribution.

+1

The IRS is one of the best things I have done on mine to date. It rode like a dump truck before, now it rides very nice considering its ride height. Not to mention it handles so much better now.

And yes the FTBR kit is expensive, but still cheaper (and superior to IMO) than the MM kit. It was a serious amount of work installing it but I would do it again in a heartbeat. I have yet to have any wheel hop whatsoever.

Well said!! For example I have $400 worth of new tires on the rear of my car and the RR camberis neg. Atleast with a SRA there is no worries about the alignment or eating your new tires...

SRA:

Pro's

-Comes in GT's/96-98 cobra's stock so you don't have to buy a new one.

-Easily upgraded

- Less weight

-Great setup for drag racing

Con's

-Poor Road Racing performance stock

-Expensive to upgrade and bring up to par with a stock IRS

-When modded, the ride will become extremely rough (torque arm)

-Lots of NVH

IRS

Pro's

-Very Very smooth for street driving

-Almost 100% Bolt-In

-Upgraded IRS's are excellent for road racing

Con's

-Poor Drag Racing Performance Stock

-Expensive to buy

-Expensive to upgrade

-Heavy Weight

-Weak Half-Shafts

-Potential to overheat under hard cornering

-Difficult to change fuel filter

-Have to get an alignment which costs extra

FTBR bushing kits are $650. Idk about others IRS swapped SN's with derlin bushings but mine creeks like a bastard somtimes.

Did you install their grease fitting kit? I pumped all the bushings full of Mobil 1 synthetic chassis grease and I haven't heard a sound from them.

And yea the bushing kit is $650, I added the deluxe toe links and adjustable sway links to my order too, plus the install tools (which proved to be worth their weight in gold several times during the install).

No grease fitting kit on mine, The rear came with FTBR kit installed along with 4.10 gears and a billet flow brace. None of the parts installed by me myself it was complete all i had to do was bolt er in.

Wonder if i should just drill the lowers and instill my own zerk fitting and pump some grease to em. Sounds like the RR Lower is where all the noise is...