Brian

Front splitter for Cobra front end

You'd need to custom fabricate one if you did. It wouldn't really be incredibly worth it except for pretty high speeds. I'd focus on suspension and chassis before you start worrying about aero honestly. But regardless most of the people I see buy a Cobra R style front and add adjustment rods for the splitter.

galleryhome5_lg.gif

This is what I figured but just wanted to make sure. I wasn't sure if the ABC Exlcusive piece that goes around the Cobra (like Justin's old GT) would be something to look into or not

I know with the IRS + MM K-Member kit + Kenny Brown SFCs and some other componets (that I'll probably need to get some help with as always because I fail) I know that suspension will be pretty well addressed. Not sure what other chassis upgrades, other than possible a 4-point cage, that I'll need?

This is what I figured but just wanted to make sure. I wasn't sure if the ABC Exlcusive piece that goes around the Cobra (like Justin's old GT) would be something to look into or not

I know with the IRS + MM K-Member kit + Kenny Brown SFCs and some other componets (that I'll probably need to get some help with as always because I fail) I know that suspension will be pretty well addressed. Not sure what other chassis upgrades, other than possible a 4-point cage, that I'll need?

K-member kit is very generic. there's lots of other things that need to be addressed. Main point being an alignment. You need to dial in camber/caster/toe and dial out bumpsteer (and to dial out bumpsteer you need to drill your spindles and install a bumpsteer kit. Finding a shop that will do anything other than an OE alignment is tough. Ive spent over $1k on my shit to do my own alignments for this reason.

Also, you have to take into account for tires, brakes, and stuff that will eventually start nickeling and diming you.

I'd say a roll bar is a must. What I have planned is tying my roush sfc's to a set of Spintech full length sfc's to triangulate the setup and create incredible rigidity. Then to top it all off tying it into my cage :)

K-member kit is very generic. there's lots of other things that need to be addressed. Main point being an alignment. You need to dial in camber/caster/toe and dial out bumpsteer (and to dial out bumpsteer you need to drill your spindles and install a bumpsteer kit. Finding a shop that will do anything other than an OE alignment is tough. Ive spent over $1k on my shit to do my own alignments for this reason.

Also, you have to take into account for tires, brakes, and stuff that will eventually start nickeling and diming you.

I'd say a roll bar is a must. What I have planned is tying my roush sfc's to a set of Spintech full length sfc's to triangulate the setup and create incredible rigidity. Then to top it all off tying it into my cage :)

Yeah I have a friend that owns a motorsports shop who going to be doing all the suspension tuning. He races at VIR and builds a bunch of clients cars that race there too so hopefully those things will be taken care of through him. The bumpsteer install will also be through him and his friends shop who can drill it out.

I already have the tires picked out for my 10th Anni Cobra wheels so just have to get them ordered and the brake lines will be ordered soon because of the IRS swap. I know I need to rebuild my suspension list. I had a pretty detailed on a while back but deleted it like a retard because I thought I was never going to get around to doing it.

But I completely agree there are still things I'm overlooking but that's what I have you experts for!! So that one day I can be an expert and teach others what yall have taught me!

From an aero stand point, if you go full splitter (vs air dam) you'll want something on the rear to off set the mega down force you'll be getting (IE a wing).

The add on air dam is designed to create a low pressure pocket right behind the radiator with high pressure in front of it. It gives you more effective cooling. The splitter is designed to create a low pressure pocket under the entire front. Combined with the high pressure over the hood during forward motion gives you a lot of pressure from the top on the front suspension. Too much and you're tail gets light.

Air dam of the Y2K R on a Cobra front:

ai_must_4th_gen_2.jpg

Splitter on the Cobra front (local guy):

CarminesCobra_zps917690a2.jpg

Here's a splitter under the Cobra R airdam:

American%20Iron%20Mustang.JPG

I'm planning on getting a Steeda Race Wing and also having the WickedMotorsports rear diffuser like Brett if that helps. I like the first picture you posted. Where can that be ordered?

Edited by Brian

Brian - The first pic (black '94) is a custom cut part from a Y2K R bumper and just screwed on. Something like that would work well with a lower profile wing like the Steeda.

Skylin - As for speeds, it will have effect right away - but the faster you go, the more you will feel it. As for DD use, a true splitter will suck in stop and go traffic. When sitting still, you'll have to move more air through your radiator with a more aggressive fan due to elongating the channel it has to pass through. With just an air dam and wing, you won't see much change at all. You'll see a little gain on the highway when you get it all set up right.

This is the eventual goal with the roush. I'm going to be buying Metal Brake soon to help me get this done.

IMAG1734.jpg

20120529_PCA_WGI_WHT_7361_zps9454ac67.jpg

Only diffrence is mine will not have the gap in the center thats probably negatively affecting the use of a splitter. I plan on sloping the aluminum up to the lower valance to promote smooth flow into the radiator.

Alright guys, If you wanna debate subframe brace design, start a thread. Keep this on aerodynamics and splitters :first:

Edited by Brian:

Moved SFC Debate to this thread: http://www.sn95source.com/showthread.php?2209-Subframe-Connector-Debate

Edited by Brian

AJ hartman makes a kick ass unit.  http://rhrperf.com/sn95-94-04-carbon-race-splitter/

Also makes a kick ass diffuser.  http://rhrperf.com/sn95-94-04-rear-diffusor/

Both are race proven with track records to back them up.  AJ has an awesome blog with tons of good info on geometry, aero, and carbon fiber processing.  I plan on running both of these on my car at some point.  After designing my own diffuser, 3D printing a scale replica of it, building a small wind tunnel, and actually seeing that my design was useless despite being designed around a NACA STOL aerofoil, I decided to just buy some good stuff from a guy who's already put in all the leg work.