Tony

CAR photography...lets discuss

Lately i have really developed a serious passion for car photography. i've watched countless videos, read countless write ups etc. still not where i wanna be with it though.

heres a discussion i'm having at the moment with a guy. sound like good tips? i know there are some serious photo guys on this forum. the photography thread shows that.

BEGIN DISCUSSION:

Ok now before I start..Just be clear that I am not bashing you or claiming to be master photographer. This is just things I see and would avoid, if your trying to become serious. Photography takes time to learn and master. You have to practice and study a bit too know what makes a great image. Try looking at promotional images that are from a professional photographer, you will notice car postion, backgrounds and reflections, time of day, filter useage, height of camera,..etc. Study the picture you think are super nice. Why do they stand out? then compare to yours, think about how you could have done better. Sure an SLR will be awesome, but if you can't afford that now, then you have to make due with what you have, and you can still make killer photos with the camera you have. Just need to know your camera limtations.

Ok now for the picture...I kinda wrote over you images to show you better than just talking in a large paragraph. Thanks for letting me critique you, as sometimes it can be hard to swallow, when some say anything with a negitive output. My job is to help you and not to hurt you.

tonyCrit_01_zps34859bb2.jpg

tonyCrit_01_zps34859bb2.jpg

tonyCrit_02_zpsf607370a.jpg

tonyCrit_03_zps35f36820.jpg

tonyCrit_04_zps98a17e71.jpg

and hers some shots i took really trying to get better at it :)

bf4dfd1.jpg

5ac7343.jpg

aedc402.jpg

lemme know what i shoulda done differently. no feelings hurt :) promise. and no, not trying to whore out my car some more haha!

I do not know squat on photography aside of picking out what is good or not. But, I can tell you are on the right track. Sorry I can't help on actual advice.

I always like my pictures more when you catch an angle, like these.. I'm not a fan of just straight on, or straight side shots...

Quick, impromptu shoot..

In the second shot, it would have definitely been better had I pulled the car forward to get distractions away from the roof line.

8545584277_dcf66b270c_b.jpg

Low F by BLWNBYU, on Flickr

8546518936_d8102a9609_b.jpg

FR BW 1 by BLWNBYU, on Flickr

Rules of third, if sun is out to your back, overcast days give you the best natural lighting, and if possible stand as far from the car as possible and zoom in on the shot to prevent any shadow or reflections. Took Photography at the Art College in Portsmouth VA for 2 years.

Rules of third, if sun is out to your back, overcast days give you the best natural lighting, and if possible stand as far from the car as possible and zoom in on the shot to prevent any shadow or reflections. Took Photography at the Art College in Portsmouth VA for 2 years.
hmmm, so the purpose of taking shots at a distance is to avoid reflections...but would that cause the pic to be blury or grainy (my worst enemy..i fuckin hate grainy pics) from having to zoom?

• Moderators
hmmm, so the purpose of taking shots at a distance is to avoid reflections...but would that cause the pic to be blury or grainy (my worst enemy..i fuckin hate grainy pics) from having to zoom?

Shouldn't be grainy unless you get to the digital zoom.

if you ever see a photoshoot for the mags they are never right up on the car unless it's a shot that requires such. If you are using a good equipment, no an iPhone 5 doesn't count I don't care what Apple tells you, then this can be done with a variety of lens.

This photo was taken on the other side of the parking lot lol.

post-270-13881837861152_thumb.jpg

This is a unedited photo but I took this probably standing 20 ft or so away from the car and Juliet.

post-270-13881837862133_thumb.jpg

Edit: ok uploading straight to site loses some quality, I can post full size ones if you want to see them.

i def see what ya mean steve. you think i can pull off sick shots using just a decent camera? i've seen guys shoot some car pics that are amazing...i ask what camera an they say "nikkon cool pix" lolol. i have a camera slightly better than that but not very expensive at all.

so i guess i'm asking if a simple 14 mp camera with some average functions like exposure, iso, shutter speed settings can grab awesome shots...ya think so or do i really need to get serious about a more expensive camera..cause i'll never see results from an inexpensive one???

dude i appreciate your replies, lol. i know it's kinda deep and hard to tutor someone online on photography, lol.

While an expensive camera is definitely beneficial, you can get great pictures without one. All of these pictures were supposedly taken with cell phones.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1659623@N23/pool/

I'd definitely agree with all of the advice at the top.. mostly to keep the car out of the center of the picture. That drives me crazy.

i def see what ya mean steve. you think i can pull off sick shots using just a decent camera? i've seen guys shoot some car pics that are amazing...i ask what camera an they say "nikkon cool pix" lolol. i have a camera slightly better than that but not very expensive at all.

so i guess i'm asking if a simple 14 mp camera with some average functions like exposure, iso, shutter speed settings can grab awesome shots...ya think so or do i really need to get serious about a more expensive camera..cause i'll never see results from an inexpensive one???

dude i appreciate your replies, lol. i know it's kinda deep and hard to tutor someone online on photography, lol.

yeah for sure some of the point and shoot cameras can take nice shots but that's where PS comes in to edit them and make them better. Obvisoulsly you won't be able to stand waay back but some of these new cameras like the Nikkon One can take great photos and be amazing with some processing. What it boils down to is what you really want to accomplish. If you are looking to be the next John Fore III then you need to step the game up and the equiptment but if you are the car photographer then you can work with P-n-S or entry level DSLR's.

Some of my older work with my First Gen Rebel DSLR when I first got into photography hard, I need to get back in the game. I am a perfectionist and being that make it hard for me to be the artist I should be. I have given up a lot of opportunities because I am my own worse critic. Had to change my name too as you wouldn't believe how many SJR Photography guys there are.

Black__White_and_Red_by_sjr_photography.jpg

Bullitt__s_Eye_by_sjr_photography.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

i seen a couple pics of yours on cjpony's site, lol. good shots! i love that yellow s197 shot with the kinda black and white background!

ok so the rule of 3rd's i hear sooo much about. heres some shot's i simply just cropped trying to follow this rule...is this kinda what it means?

here is my original:

b6a02c1.jpg

here is my crops:

f6092ed.jpg

b6a02c1.jpg

lol, why do i like it better centered? just something i need to wrap my head around...STOP trying to perfectly center the car..right?

I personally would've moved it to the bottom right corner. With it in the bottom left, it looks like you're focusing behind the car, which is kind of odd. In my mind, cars are meant to be moving and flowing forward so leaving space in front of the car just opens up the picture to me. I don't know, this is hard to explain haha. I just always leave the space in front of the car, not behind it.

Edit: I guess it's kind of like taking a picture of someone staring off into the distance, except that you crop out the view and show what's behind their head. It just flows wrong.

Edited by Slykin

i see what you're saying. i agree...looks weird focused on what's behind the car, lol. i see that now.

so is empty space really an issue? like you said...bottom right corner..that would prolly be a better spot, but then i would get a big empty wall, lol. which to me is fine but is that a bad idea or good to leave some empty space?

Here is a better way to understand it. Oh and if you really are into this find a school around you, i.e community college or art school that allows you to take a class or two, you will be surprised on how much you will learn from just one or two classes.

http://digital-photography-school.com/rule-of-thirds

The yellow Roush is a buddies dad, and I am almost willing to bet any of my VA guys in the VA beach/Chesapeake area has seen this car at shows before.

the link was cool..thanks steve. if i were to try and make a career out of photography i would def take some classes. just wanna make thi my little hobby i guess you could say, lol. soaking up all the tips i can from folks that know shit about it.

I went to school to make a profession out of it and look where I am at, lol. The classes are good no matter what your intent is. Trust me one class will open your eyes to all the things you are missing and make shooting that much more fun. Hands on with an instructor that can show you and explain to you in person what this does and what that does is a world of difference.

PS i haven't shot seriously in probably 2-3 years if not longer.

Blwnbyu does a great job of breaking this rule

The D3V

Every single shoot :)

I don't like the shadows cast when shooting the sun to my back...

As a matter of fact, even when I shoot portraits, I shoot into the sun, overexposed about 3 stops... Pics turn out epic..

Honestly, a $2000 Alien Bees light setup is the optimal way to go...

This dude Raymond is a GOD, and he took most of his pics on a Shitty T1i... It's his lights that make him so good...

I really want lights, but don't shoot many cars.. Usually just my own, so it would be hard to justify, but damn...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/pics-videos-buffet-149/910541-raymond-neice-photography.html

I went to school to make a profession out of it and look where I am at, lol. The classes are good no matter what your intent is. Trust me one class will open your eyes to all the things you are missing and make shooting that much more fun. Hands on with an instructor that can show you and explain to you in person what this does and what that does is a world of difference.

PS i haven't shot seriously in probably 2-3 years if not longer.

get back into it dude! now dammit, lol. i would consider some classes. just as long as i can afford them haha. i could see 1 class changing my whole perspective on taking pictures, def could see that.
Every single shoot :)

I don't like the shadows cast when shooting the sun to my back...

As a matter of fact, even when I shoot portraits, I shoot into the sun, overexposed about 3 stops... Pics turn out epic..

Honestly, a $2000 Alien Bees light setup is the optimal way to go...

This dude Raymond is a GOD, and he took most of his pics on a Shitty T1i... It's his lights that make him so good...

I really want lights, but don't shoot many cars.. Usually just my own, so it would be hard to justify, but damn...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/pics-videos-buffet-149/910541-raymond-neice-photography.html

i dont like overly edited pictures but i will say that link had some awesome pics!! location plays a huge part in cool car pics too i'm learning, lol. behind walmart just aint workin out.

eehhh, it looks like shit, lolol. i think i'm over thinking shit at this point. i tried for hours to get sick shots and it was just not happening, lol!

eehhh, it looks like shit, lolol. i think i'm over thinking shit at this point. i tried for hours to get sick shots and it was just not happening, lol!

It's all in what you want to achieve for a photo. What you want the focus to be. Most of my own shots focus on one specific spot, either car or model.

Like in this photo, you can tell she's naked, but it's not the focus:

c22fe6f.jpg

And in this one, my focus is on the first kustom:

42fd3c8.jpg

Or if you're trying to get a full frame photo of the car like this one:

d22528c.jpg

My focus is on the car, but you can obviously tell it's an autocross action photo

think this is a good shot? i kinda like the lack of color in it.

e2fce15.jpg

personally, I like this shot. Only change I would do to it would be to pop out the blue more on the car and not the sky. And that comes with working with layers in photoshop.

Another option would be to take all the color out of everything but the car - also with photoshop.

Try taking at least 3 shots of every scene you're most interested in - one normal, one underexposed and one overexposed.

i actually toned down the blue a tad in that shot to give it a sorta cold look...if that makes any sense, lol. i appreciate these tips. i see what you mean purdd...with just focusing on something and the background kinda goes away. i love pics like that!

with this rule of thirds that i'm stuck on this is what i kinda came up with:

621482a.jpg

Don't let the "Rule of Thirds" rule your picture taking.

The ROT is to give natural viewing to a photo. Meaning when you break it up into thirds, you will naturally look at an intersecting point of the photo. A main focus so to say.

a good read on "how to make great photographs"

8.) THERE ARE NO RULES

There is no right and no wrong. The rule of thirds is not a rule and rules are for idiots. Just go make good photos. A good photo is one you or someone else likes. There are no formulas or grades or scores.

www.kenrockwell.com/tech/howto.htm rest of article.

That shot of your rear tire is killer! The rim is crisp and clean! Tho I think I would've maybe tilted it a bit, it looks like you're on a hill.

aside from the last two, these photos do a good job of giving the truck somewhere to go and "rule of thirds" but i basically just wanted to share these pics without making a new thread for them =]

8570754998_02f6b6032f_b.jpg

8569659163_474bf64279_b.jpg

8570752614_9076b0f1e1_b.jpg

8569656481_7214f0221b_b.jpg

8569656917_a185ab4e06_b.jpg

8570752446_476ec30dab_b.jpg

aside from the last two, these photos do a good job of giving the truck somewhere to go and "rule of thirds" but i basically just wanted to share these pics without making a new thread for them =]

8570754998_02f6b6032f_b.jpg

8569659163_474bf64279_b.jpg

8570752614_9076b0f1e1_b.jpg

8569656481_7214f0221b_b.jpg

8569656917_a185ab4e06_b.jpg

8570752446_476ec30dab_b.jpg

mmm, sexy!!! def cool shots!