Schiffy

Project: The Wus

So I've been contemplating making a project/build thread for awhile, and I think I'm going to do it, so I can chart all the work I'm doing/have done. I purchased my '98 GT on February 4th with 162,000 miles on it. It already had an accufab plenum and throttle body, BBK CAI and a flowmaster aftercat, since purchasing, I've added front UPR Coilovers (14"/175#) with new KYB struts, cut a coil off the rear springs, added a Saleen S281 spoiler and traded for some 18x9/10.5 FR500's. ran it on the dyno the first week of March and it put down 204hp/285TQ. I currently have UPR 4 bolt CC plates and a set of PI cams sitting in my bedroom floor I need to install(or sell the PI cams). I've talked with Louis who is going to hook me up with a PI intake for dirt cheap, and also snag up an '02 Shortblock from copmagnet as soon as I can get a Saturday free of bathroom remodel and softball tournaments. There are a handful of Mark8's at our local pick and pull, and I'm thinking I may go snag up one of those blocks since its aluminum, then grab a set of PI heads off one of the crown Vic's. NOW here comes the question. Do I take the '02 shortblock and swap it all over to the Teksid block INCLUDING the pistons, or use the pistons that are in the teksid block and run a higher compression? I really like what I've read about the XE270AH cams(the idle is pretty dope also) so I think I will run those cams. Been getting with local machine shops about fly cutting pistons so that way I will have more options for cams. My goal is 300rwhp N/A. I think I can get that with the teksid block, UD pulleys, PI topend with the 270 cams, Longtubes and an Ortiz tune. What do you folks think? Also, I'd LOVE to boost the car down the road, hence the only reason I've considered using the '02 pistons vice the mark8 pistons. I shall update with pics and mods as i go, along with my excel spreadsheet of cash spent!

Sent from my secretary!!!

If your only looking for 300 there really isnt a need for the Teksid block. If you can grab the block cheap enough I would say stroke it add some compression and shoot for some higher numbers with some nice heads and cams. But I dont know your budget on this so thats up to you.

If your only looking for 300 there really isnt a need for the Teksid block. If you can grab the block cheap enough I would say stroke it add some compression and shoot for some higher numbers with some nice heads and cams. But I dont know your budget on this so thats up to you.

300 is my base goal. Jason (Snive Troll) is making 651rwhp with room to go up, so I can't let him have more than me in the long run. The 300 is something I think I can make easily ad on a budget.

A few pics of progress...

aha4e5up.jpg

The day I bought her

6e3evady.jpg

No side skirts, stock ride height

hyrezetu.jpg

Front Coilovers installed

3aba3yne.jpg

New wheels acquired

yne9enu6.jpg

S281 added

sa2ygujy.jpg

Shot of the Coilovers while the car was on the lift getting the new wheels balanced

7ateveva.jpg

The first of many dyno sheets with MY base numbers.

Now, thanks to F8L, to go along with the PI cams and 4 bolt CC plates to install, I've got some double adjustable upper control arms waiting to go on, and an engine sitting at Copmagnets parents I need to pick up to dart building for a swap.

Yayy builds! Love watching a build from the start! Pumped to see what you do with the build chris =]

Yeah yeah!!! Haha... I just need to find a weekend when I'm not playing ball, golf, moving friends or working! lol

i will intall those cams into your motor if you want.

I've been talking to Louis about regrinding them to his stage 2 spec cams, so I'm up in the air about it. I've got to start sweet talking the wife. lol

It's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.......just saying!

If I dropped over $400 without talking to her, there wouldn't be permission, there would be alimony and child support. lmao

Ordering Longtubes either Tuesday or Wednesday depending on which evening is free. Then I'll restock my car funds and get a mid pipe. Picking up the 02 short block from hunter(copmagnet) this afternoon as well.

So my dude down in Savannah, GA. and I were going back and fourth about shit we needed for our cars and what was available here and where he was...got to looking and ran across a guy selling a set of PI heads for $100. Says he owns a body shop and has a few sets laying around and just wants them gone. He's picking my set(with cams) up tomorrow down in GA, along with an aluminum DS for me. BOOM!!!! He's coming to town June 1st, so no shipping.

tajatuny.jpgeby5agu9.jpg

Cleaned up the front cover and valve covers Monday morning. Gonna grind the imperfections out of the front cover and figure out what color to paint it, also gonna try and get Matt to hydrodip the valve covers in a design to match whatever color I paint the front cover.

Tapatalk made me do it!

Will hydrodipping hold up with the heat from an engine?

It should. I don't think companies like MRT would hydrodip valve covers n such if it didn't hold up

It should. I don't think companies like MRT would hydrodip valve covers n such if it didn't hold up

Good to know. I hadn't heard of using it on engine parts before.

duhujume.jpgyta8uzu2.jpg2uredyba.jpg

The goodies I picked up this afternoon. Talking to a local tomorrow about P&P the heads, and will save for OPS cams, and tuner with Tune from Ortiz.

Btw: my buddy and I both scouring Craigslist, we got all my parts here for $325 TOTAL, and I tossed him $50 for gas since he drove all over South Georgia to pick it up. So I'm only invested $375 in PI heads/cams, BBK Longtubes and matching O/R H pipe. Just need an Intake.

Tapatalk made me do it!

Edited by Schiffy

Damn son! deal shopping right there! I've seen JUST long tubes go for 300

Yeah man, he and I found some kickass deals. These headers are like 450 new, so to get them AND mid pipe for $275, I'm stoked. I may haw found him a ridonkulous deal on an aluminum Kirkey seat for his beetle in Texas. Ill be there Friday for my bros graduation, so ill grab it, had my parents take it to my wife's parents when they drop off my older 2 boys(they're staying a week longer than me) then ill grab it from them when we meet in Tennessee to pick my boys up to save shipping. Haha

Tapatalk made me do it!

hopefully you can find the timing kit cheap..that bitch is like 600$ from ford.

I've got a receipt with my car that the timing chain and tensioners(I dunno what those are... Lol) were replaced at 150,000, I'm at 164,000, so I'm hoping they're in good enough shape to reuse.

Tapatalk made me do it!

oh, there little 1x1x1 blocks that push out a rod when the motor is cranked(oil pressure) and it pushes on a plastic arm that keeps tension on the chain.

Gotcha!

Tapatalk made me do it!

So I'm thinking of throwing the UPR coil overs out and sticking some H&R springs all the way around. I'm still sitting to high for my liking, and the UPR coil overs suck donkey sack. They're noisy, they won't adjust lower without the whole sleeve rotating on the shock, they just suck. What do y'all think?

Tapatalk made me do it!