Brian

A/C Question

Backstory.... I'm having some issues with my A/C. It blew cold as ice when I first pick the car up back in December of 2011 and I've only put about 450 miles on it since purchase. I noticed that the A/C isn't blowing cold air anymore just normal air temp. I figured it needed to be recharged so I picked up the kit. I hooked the kit up to the low A/C line and sure enough it was at 0 psi. So I followed the instructions and filled it up correctly with the car running & A/C turned to max everything. After letting it sit for a few it was still blowing air temp.

My question is what all can I do to see if maybe the compressor isn't work or something along those lines? Basically, what's my next move?

First I'd check for leaks. To do so, you need to rent a freon detector kit, or a friend with one (my dad has one but you live eons away). Basically looks like this:

ac332010.jpg

And I think the way this kit works is you pump your a/c up with their detector fluid instead of freon. Then after your car runs for a little, you throw on those glasses and use the special flashlight they give you to look for neon green anywhere in your engine bay. This shows sign of a leak. Since you have only driven it 450 miles, it makes me think that a seal could have dried up and cracked.

I will try this. I believe the kit I have has some kind of chemical inside it that is supposed to stop any leaks. I checked the pressure after a few hours and it was still at what I left it to IIRC. I can check again in the AM since I did this yesterday at 7AM

Ok well its going in to have the rearend built on Tuesday so ill ask them about that too. I just wanted to see if there anything I could do before dropping that amount to get it fixed.

Don't be cheap, bring the car to a shop and have the system put under vacuum. Do it right or don't do it at all.

+1 I messed with mine and kept adding freon till the compressor kicked on and it worked for a few weeks. Took it to my shop we shot it up with some dye and bam the a/c compressor is leaking. Now i know what part i have to replace and if you know a tech you might be able to get it done for free :)

Its only $45 bucks at my shop for a evac + recharge with dye. And when it leaks out and blows hot you just take it back and they look for the leak and tell you what it is. Then you just tell them you don't have the money for them to fix it. Take your car home and fix it yourself..

Did you phsically look to see if the compressor was kicking on? If it is indeed engaging, then I would suspect a leak in the system...more often than not its one of the o-rings which can be replaced for pennies. Just grab a can of 134 with the dye in it to pin point the leak. If the compressor isnt kicking on its one of two things...1) there isnt enough freon in the system ( refill until full) 2) the compressor is done and froze up ( replace compressor) good luck hope its a simple o-ring replacement and youll be chillin in minutes.

Dont waste money at a shop with it there aint much to it.

Did you phsically look to see if the compressor was kicking on? If it is indeed engaging, then I would suspect a leak in the system...more often than not its one of the o-rings which can be replaced for pennies. Just grab a can of 134 with the dye in it to pin point the leak. If the compressor isnt kicking on its one of two things...1) there isnt enough freon in the system ( refill until full) 2) the compressor is done and froze up ( replace compressor) good luck hope its a simple o-ring replacement and youll be chillin in minutes.

Dont waste money at a shop with it there aint much to it.

I am going to double check again to make sure it kicked on but I believe it did. The car is going into the shop Tuesday to have the rear end built so I might ask him to take a look at the AC while it's in there and also find out if they will inspect it.

Thanks Opal. I hope it's just something small but it needs to get fixed. Too hot to be messing around without AC haha.

Just an update. The issue was fixed by the shop. They used their machine to flush & recharge the system and it's working perfectly now. The recharge kits didn't help because it wasn't able to empty the system.

if the a/c wasn't working it should have already been empty, what did they say the problem was?

I filled the freon back up but that didn't fix the issue. The issue was the system needed to be fulled bleeded which I don't have the equipment to do.

They said it needed freon.

I never put that dye in there, it just gums up the system. 9 times out of 10 you can find the leak just by looking around. It almost always leaks at an O-ring, and there will be tell tale ac lubrication oil around the point where it's leaking.

Kurt

+1 I messed with mine and kept adding freon till the compressor kicked on and it worked for a few weeks. Took it to my shop we shot it up with some dye and bam the a/c compressor is leaking. Now i know what part i have to replace and if you know a tech you might be able to get it done for free :)

Its only $45 bucks at my shop for a evac + recharge with dye. And when it leaks out and blows hot you just take it back and they look for the leak and tell you what it is. Then you just tell them you don't have the money for them to fix it. Take your car home and fix it yourself..

looks like ill be bringing the marauder and the suburban to get that done.......

looks like ill be bringing the marauder and the suburban to get that done.......

frank dont know what he is talking about it is a little closer to $100 to do the evac and recharge through the shop but i can hook you up way better than that. is the a/c in your mustang still cold?

frank dont know what he is talking about it is a little closer to $100 to do the evac and recharge through the shop but i can hook you up way better than that. is the a/c in your mustang still cold?

sounds good mister cox......lol

mustang ac will freeze me out! <thanx again for the help. my suburban only blows a little cold when moving and the rear blows no cold lol.

Kyle, Frank told me you'd help me out on a suck down and recharge on my a/c. Some days she's cold, some days she's not.

I feel like the compressor cycles more than it needs to as well.