OnyxCobra

First Dip Project: Anthracite BBS RKs

I picked up some silver RKs a little while ago and after trying them on I felt the silver was too bright to fit the look i'm going for so I wanted to change them up. I've gotten really into PlastiDip lately and wanted try it out so I figured this was a perfect opportunity.

Onto the comparison pics, please refrain from commenting on the exhaust tips [MENTION=2]Brian[/MENTION] or the rusty/gross brakes lol

Silver:

IMG_20130721_143423_254.jpg

IMG_20130731_185320_112.jpg

Silver vs Anthracite (before the glossifier)

IMG_20130810_171052_610.jpg

And the end result, I'm extremely pleased with the look (3 coats of black, 3 coats of anthracite metallic, 2 coats of glossifier)

IMG_20130828_173540_660.jpg?t=1377748113

IMG_20130828_183532_970.jpg?t=1377748103

IMG_20130828_183836_069.jpg?t=1377748104

IMG_20130828_183301_436.jpg?t=1377748096

IMG_20130828_183344_681.jpg?t=1377748088

Overall I'm very impressed, learned a lot and hopefully a lot more dipping to come in the future.

That's actually a nice looking finish! I cringed just a tiny bit thinking of plasti-dip on RK's but this looks pretty nice. Definitely a good wheel color on a black car for sure :thumb:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I sense a little plastidip skepticism, there's nothing really wrong with using the stuff imo. it can be done to look quite exceptional and it's totally reversible. I understand how plastidip on cars could get a bad reputation after seeing cars at the car shows this summer, but if you know what you're doing you can get great results. and unlike my car's paint, the dip actually looks just as good if not better in person lol.

for plastidip it turned out awesome! so glad you didnt justp aint them black

that's the beauty of it, the wheels are unscathed. I think this color turned out amazing, I wanted darker wheels without going black and this color fit the bill perfectly.

Edited by OnyxCobra

I shared dans skepticism but actually turned out pretty good. I like a brighter wheel but they certainly went from nice on the car to making it look mean.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

As with any automotive finish it's all in the application. I've seen a LOT of bad dip jobs, hence my initial cringing lol. Looks like you nailed it though, doesn't look like plasti dip at all honestly

think I'm going to use that stuff soon to hopefully clean up my rear bumper to hide the chipping.

hmm, just keep in mind it's going to be matte black unless you use glossifier.

I shared dans skepticism but actually turned out pretty good. I like a brighter wheel but they certainly went from nice on the car to making it look mean.

understandably so. and thanks, the mean look is what I was going for.

As with any automotive finish it's all in the application. I've seen a LOT of bad dip jobs, hence my initial cringing lol. Looks like you nailed it though, doesn't look like plasti dip at all honestly

haha I hear ya, it doesn't take much sometimes to ruin an opinion. I appreciate the chance to change your mind though lol, not looking like dip is what I wanted.

so are you able to keep it like this as long as you want? does it start to look bad after a while?

yeah it should last quite a while especially since I don't drive the car much. it should age well but it's obviously not meant to be 100% permanent, there are guys that wax their plastidip to keep it shiny lol

yeah it should last quite a while especially since I don't drive the car much. it should age well but it's obviously not meant to be 100% permanent, there are guys that wax their plastidip to keep it shiny lol

i seen a few plasti dip cars in orange and blues that actually looked pretty fn slick. is that stuff hard to lay out without getting a bunch of texture?

i seen a few plasti dip cars in orange and blues that actually looked pretty fn slick. is that stuff hard to lay out without getting a bunch of texture?

I don't think it's hard at all once you get the hang of it, the trick is for the final coats to be full wet coats but obviously you don't want it to run. from what I've seen so far it's pretty forgiving stuff, you don't want to spray it from too far either. I think I could have gotten a smoother finish on my wheels than I did, next time it'll come out even better.

what about an entire car? is that pretty hard to get nice coverage w/o allot of texture ya think? i just wonder how realistic these videos on dipyourcar.com really are, lol. those look perfect. the average guy might not pull off such a clean dip. but idk, lol. wheels look good man.

what about an entire car? is that pretty hard to get nice coverage w/o allot of texture ya think? i just wonder how realistic these videos on dipyourcar.com really are, lol. those look perfect. the average guy might not pull off such a clean dip. but idk, lol. wheels look good man.

www.dipyourcar.com sells a full spray kit, including a air gun. The best thing about the plasti-dip is, if you fuck up... Just peel it off and try again.

I'm pretty sure they're legit lol. I don't think it's that hard, I think it just takes a little practice and experimenting like everything else. Is the average dude with no coordination and that cant even dip an emblem going to make a whole car look good? no, just like not everyone that buffs cars does a good job, or even paints a car for that matter.

I'm pretty sure they're legit lol. I don't think it's that hard, I think it just takes a little practice and experimenting like everything else. Is the average dude with no coordination and that cant even dip an emblem going to make a whole car look good? no, just like not everyone that buffs cars does a good job, or even paints a car for that matter.
well then you dip your car i dip my truck :P

haha I am planning on trying it, just need to decide on color and when, probably next spring.

well if ya havent noticed i am gaining more and more interest in the whole thing. reason being is that i'm at a crossroads with my truck. either i drop $4-5k on paint and body work. or tackle the body myself and leave that $4-5k for some other area of the truck and just plasti dip it with some sick color. it would be a flat finish but that can look pretty fn sick if on the right vehicle imo. my truck body dropped with a small block and nasty wheels painted in the sunset orange i seen in a dipyourcar video...seems like it would look pretty fn bad ass, lol. thats the reason for my questions. running through shit in my head.

thoughts? any tips ya have would be cool too.

well if ya havent noticed i am gaining more and more interest in the whole thing. reason being is that i'm at a crossroads with my truck. either i drop $4-5k on paint and body work. or tackle the body myself and leave that $4-5k for some other area of the truck and just plasti dip it with some sick color. it would be a flat finish but that can look pretty fn sick if on the right vehicle imo. my truck body dropped with a small block and nasty wheels painted in the sunset orange i seen in a dipyourcar video...seems like it would look pretty fn bad ass, lol. thats the reason for my questions. running through shit in my head.

thoughts? any tips ya have would be cool too.

yessss converting you was the plan all along lol. seriously though I think that would be fine, and that way you could even change it up if you wanted without much trouble. you say it would be a flat finish because that's what you want? if not they make gloss, pearl and metallic flake products that would give you a gloss or satin finish if you desire. there are hundreds of possibilities. tips kinda come as you go along, any questions just ask.

yessss converting you was the plan all along lol. seriously though I think that would be fine, and that way you could even change it up if you wanted without much trouble. you say it would be a flat finish because that's what you want? if not they make gloss, pearl and metallic flake products that would give you a gloss or satin finish if you desire. there are hundreds of possibilities. tips kinda come as you go along, any questions just ask.

i think i'd prefer a nice even flat finish. that orange i seen on a completely shaved square body s10 just seems sick in my head, lol.

i think i'd prefer a nice even flat finish. that orange i seen on a completely shaved square body s10 just seems sick in my head, lol.

oh well yeah if you want a flat finish then that's easy, you don't need anything extra besides the color. It'll look sick, and if/when you decide to paint the truck down the road just peel it off and you're good to go.

Man you did a great job with your wheels! I bought the same plastidip to do on my rk's. On my rear wheels the plasma finish is peeling off and I wanted a cheap solution until I can get all of them PVD coated. I ended up getting the wheel kit dipyourcar.com had and an extra can of glossifier, so 4 cans of anthracite and 4 glossifier. I guess my question is how many cans did you need? I noticed you use a black base and not sure if I'll do that or not. Thanks!