ttocs

anyone have pics of scottrod engine panels that kept access to the fusebox?

I am at the point I am putting in the engine bay panels and want to keep access to the stock fusebox and additional smaller box I am installing. I think I am going to make a tray that will mount them both into that will then get mounted behind the scottrod panels. Anyone done anything similar to keep access to the fusebox that could help and share some pics?

I don't have mine done (let alone started) but my plan was to cut a hole big enough to gain access to the box and fab a cover plate to cover the hole. This way you can still gain access without having a giant hole there, just pop the cover off and there it is. Just throwing out an idea. :bananen_smilies084:

Yea something like that but I want it all to be flush. Working on the power pipe opening right now of course the first hole was off about an inch so going to cut it out larger now too weld in a piece that is cut better around the pipe. I want those two pieces under the hood too look perfect. Would really love to put the fuse blocks behind an oval shaped door but it would be a bitch to put a hinge on it.

Yea something like that but I want it all to be flush. Working on the power pipe opening right now of course the first hole was off about an inch so going to cut it out larger now too weld in a piece that is cut better around the pipe. I want those two pieces under the hood too look perfect. Would really love to put the fuse blocks behind an oval shaped door but it would be a bitch to put a hinge on it.

As far as an oval shaped door, I just had a thought that might work for that. Try grabbing a stock fuel door, then cut the hinge mechanism off it and weld it to the back of the door you make. The design of the hinge on the fuel door is perfect for a rounded shape.

As far as an oval shaped door, I just had a thought that might work for that. Try grabbing a stock fuel door, then cut the hinge mechanism off it and weld it to the back of the door you make. The design of the hinge on the fuel door is perfect for a rounded shape.
Fuel door GREAT IDEA! especially since I was going to shave mine!

Finally got some pics for you yesterday, been meaning to since this thread started. I do want to say that the wires coming out are yet to be tucked and I'm still working on the fuse box door/cover.

IMG_1042_zps2ef25e21.jpg

IMG_1044_zpsbfc5d545.jpg

IMG_1046_zps8039201e.jpg

Will definitely update it. Need too get some new tips for my spool gun. Still trying to figure out aluminum welding and melted the holy hell out of one trying it on some scrap material. Sent some time today on the wiring on the passenger side. STill not sure what too do with all the vac stuff on that side....

was finally feeling well enough and got ahold of a new tip to my spool gun after last weeks melt down and started on this. I am building a tray with a removable bottom for the most part that the factory fuse box will mount too, as well as the other one I am adding next too it. Went with aluminum too save some weight. This is the view that you will see through the engine bay when the door is open although not much of the aluminum will really be seen, too much too fit inside.... The bottom is not attached now the tabs welded into the corners will probably anchor a couple of screws to hold it all together. The square ring will mount too the fender and then the fuse boxes will mount on top(or through in the case of the stock with as deep as it is) of the bottom aluminum plate(1/8"). This is the first time I have built anything functional out of aluminum.post-61-1388183984697_thumb.jpg Need too figure out how I will do the next part now been concentrating on just welding the aluminum I have not thought much past it.... More too come.

post-61-13881839846204_thumb.jpg

today I mounted the tray. Welded some mounting tabs on the top and the nails/clamps on the bottom are just holding those two holes still. Later I will replace the nails with some threaded studs to go down through the bottom mounting plate and drill/tap some holes on the top to hold it all together.post-61-13881839851645_thumb.jpg Now back to staring at the car and the pics to figure out what too do next, or rather how too do it. I need too cut a hole in the bottom of the trays plate so the stock fusebox can mount through it. After that I will probably burn in the scottrod panel and then cut the access hole.

cut the hole in the back plate today too allow the stock fuse box to mount through it. I think you can see why I wanted too save that 3/4" on the power lug now as it allow me to turn it up and save myself another inch for the other blocks. Tomorrow I will copy the mounting tabs that are on the stock bracket out of aluminum and weld them too the back plate too hold the stock block nice and solid. After that I can start mounting the secondary fuse/ground block next too it. post-61-13881839854217_thumb.jpg

post-61-13881839853944_thumb.jpg

today I copied the mounting tabs for the stock fuse box out of aluminum. Just covered the stock piece with tape and used a knife to cut it off so it made a pattern. Took that off stuck it to my material and cut it out. After some shaping and a bend it slides right into place and is ready to be welded too the back plate.post-61-13881839860643_thumb.jpg

post-61-13881839855753_thumb.jpg

post-61-13881839857367_thumb.jpg

post-61-13881839858036_thumb.jpg

got the mounting tabs welded onto the back plate today as well as the 2nd fuse box mounted. Need to get some grommets too run the wires through for the fuse box.

DSC01024.jpg

DSC01025-1.jpg

Sorry for the links but the forum is acting up on me tonight saying the file is too big, also hard too type it keeps missing letters. I think I am ready to cut the hole to see it all. The metal is thinner then would like so I think I will weld I all up first.

Edited by Det_Riot

Thanks det (its still telling me the file is too big)started off today by painting all the areas I would not have access too again with por15 and then grinding the paint off the areas I am going to weld.

DSC01028.jpg

And then welded it into place.

DSC01029.jpg

Edited by Det_Riot

Saw that is was going to be getting cold as heck this week so instead of cutting the hole as I wanted too I burned in the pass side cover.

DSC01032.jpg

Today I threw the space heater in the garage, 4 layers of clothes/hat/gloves and made my hole.

DSC01034.jpg

Any of the aluminum in the box will be carbon fiber and I am going too do some lighting to make it pop as well. Sorry for the links the forum doesn't like IE.

Also need your opinion and have a question. I was going too do the door in metal but I am considering plexi as well. I could smoke the top so that with the lights off it would look black, and then etch the back to catch the lights with some kind of design...

I also need some kind of gasket material between the door and a flange I will mount on the back of the panel. Does someone know of a thin material I can use to do this?

Edited by Det_Riot

Thanks again det. Are you having to re-size the pics or are you able too just cut/paste the link in? Everytime I do it says its too big. My cardomain site is having issues now and I can't load pics too it too use the med sized pics I use too use when it said it was too big.

Been SO happy to work on the car since my last hospital visit too see the work getting done. Enjoy the welding as well as the creative aspects of it all as it keeps my mind occupied and thinking. Was looking forward to continuing it even in 30 degree weather to see the results but woke up this morning throwing up again and now I am back at my 2nd home, the hospital.....

Damn, just when you're starting to get some momentum too! All I'm doing is putting the img code tags around your links and killing the hyperlink lol I had a thought about what you should do but totally forgot. I'll try to remember later hah

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Tell me about it I felt the exact same way. I have basically given up all my former hobbies because of this crap. I don't mountain bike anymore(miss that almost as much as pizza/beer) but still love to ride a wheelie around the block. Going out to bars/resturants to hang with friends isn't any fun anymore watching them all eat/drink/do what I want too even if I was feeling well enough to go out. Working on the car when I can is really the only thing I have been able too keep doing but like you said it seems that when I get some momentum going this happens. Sucks trying to remember all the little details a week or two later to continue...

So no one has any opinions on the plexi/metal door or has ideas for a gasket?

hm never bought it before so I have no idea what is out there. I need a material that I can remove the cover and put it back for a few years with no problem. Is it a strip type of material or more like a piece of paper I would cut the shape out of or are you talking like RTV type of stuff?

So no one has any opinions on the plexi/metal door or has ideas for a gasket?

You could weld tabs on the inside of the opening, drill and tap them and screw on a panel with some nice stainless undercut flathead screws. That way the hardware will be flush with the face of the metal.

You could weld tabs on the inside of the opening, drill and tap them and screw on a panel with some nice stainless undercut flathead screws. That way the hardware will be flush with the face of the metal.

I will be welding a flange under the cover for either the metal door or the plexi one for the door to rest on as well as too give me a place to put the gasket material for a nice seal. It would be easier to just throw some screws in it but I like to try and hide all my fasteners when I can. IMO its just a cleaner look in the end and one of those little details and the devil is in the details.

Tard question: How would you access the fuse box, if you weld a panel over it? ..will the panel seal them in or can you open the panel somehow?

Harp darp....

If it works the way I am hoping(fingers crossed) I got some thick rubber campertop sealing strip that I will put on the flange to help waterproof it as well as to push the plexi up and in place. I made the flange so that the top/bottom of it is about an 1/8" longer then the hole I cut through the new fender apron. I also used my router to make a small edge on the top/bottom of the plexi. I am hoping I can just insert the bottom first then gently slide the plexi up so that the top/bottom will be held behind the hole in the apron.

If that doesn't work I am going to try magets....