98GT

Suspension help (Front and rear, Coilovers, etc)

Sup guys! So, I've had my car since July, it's a silver 98 GT. I'm hoping to finish the majority of it(Exterior, exhaust and minor engine mods) by Mustang week! It's a damn good car. 

Enough about that and onto suspension! 

I haven't gotten tires/wheels yet and everything is stock. I wanted to get either 17s, 18s, or 17s in front 18s in back (Not sure if it'd look tacky or amazing) But I guess you can say I want to go pretty damn low. Det_riot's stance is my goal.

I want to do MM Coilovers in the front, but I want it to look good in the back, should I get H&R SS, or Sportlines? 

And what tire sizes should I get? 17s, 18s, or 17s front 18s back?

I'm not sure if I'm making sense but I have no idea how to explain it. Lol. Hopefully you guys get where I'm coming from.

h&r springs are great. i ran those for a while. as for 17's up front and 18's out back i say go for it. if you can get me a clean side shot i can photoshop a nice rake (like det_riot's) and staggered 17's and 18's for ya man. lemme know :)

Nice to see you posting! Like I said, Coilovers will get you wherever you want to be in the front. Supersports will get you close in the back but won't take away all wheel gap. Like @slow90coupe said, coilovers in the rear will get you wherever you want to be, but the budget of going supersports in the rear will get you close. It just depends on what stance you want to have. Spark my memory, what are your goals for the car?

h&r springs are great. i ran those for a while. as for 17's up front and 18's out back i say go for it. if you can get me a clean side shot i can photoshop a nice rake (like det_riot's) and staggered 17's and 18's for ya man. lemme know :)

I'll get you one tomorrow! I have one but it's dark and it'll be hard to work with! Preciate it man.

I have a set of H&R super sports for sale if you go that route.

I'll keep that in mind, man! Got a price for me?

Nice to see you posting! Like I said, Coilovers will get you wherever you want to be in the front. Supersports will get you close in the back but won't take away all wheel gap. Like @slow90coupe said, coilovers in the rear will get you wherever you want to be, but the budget of going supersports in the rear will get you close. It just depends on what stance you want to have. Spark my memory, what are your goals for the car?

Coilovers is a definite for the front, I'm just unsure of what to do in the back. There's so many options. I forget what you said you're running in the back, I believe you changed it since we last talked anyways. If you could refresh me I'll just throw that as my option vs coilovers. I feel as I'm being a HUGE copycat and I'm not trying to be lol. What do you mean by goals? Like track car, daily driver, etc? 

Yup, precisely. Goals for the car. That should ultimately impact your decision more so you don't have to go back and redo set ups over and over and over again until it performs how you want it too. Mine used to be eibach pro kits with some coils cut and hpm megabyte jr control arms which drop the mounting point but i've recently changed it to the new teamZ stock location drag spring.

Yup, precisely. Goals for the car. That should ultimately impact your decision more so you don't have to go back and redo set ups over and over and over again until it performs how you want it too. Mine used to be eibach pro kits with some coils cut and hpm megabyte jr control arms which drop the mounting point but i've recently changed it to the new teamZ stock location drag spring.

Honestly, I just want this one to look good as I drive it like 4-5 times a week, MAYBE a couple passes during the season. Do you recommend I do coilovers or springs? I'd rather do it right the first time, so money isn't a factor unless its extremely high. And are you on 18s all around?

Yah I've got coilovers all around. If you decide to not be too concerned with track times, then springs in the rear will be sufficient unless you're real picky. If so just do coilovers in the rear like @slow90coupe did so you can have complete control in the rear of height.

Yah I've got coilovers all around. If you decide to not be too concerned with track times, then springs in the rear will be sufficient unless you're real picky. If so just do coilovers in the rear like @slow90coupe did so you can have complete control in the rear of height.

Sweet. So.. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Mustang-Coil-Over-Kit-with-Springs-Front-Bilstein-Struts-P506.aspx is still the recommended one front coilovers? Any recommendations for rear? I would figure it out on my own, but like I said.. I wanna do it correct the first time from you guys which have been through it all.

As stated above, it all depends on the direction you're going with your car.  

Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents. And I know I know, my cars stance is really less than preferable, but it's my daily driver right now so I can't lower the front any more because of my exhaust dragging until I can afford some coilovers. (I'm in college and currently jobless lol).

Another option to consider so that you can adjust the height in the rear is the Max Motorsports Adjustable ride height rear LCA's. I have the extreme duty version with spherical bearings at both ends. They allow you to drop the rear up to around an inch more than your springs, and you can also jack up the rear end with them for bigger tires. They're pricey but not as pricey as coilovers, plus they stiffen up the slop in the rear end caused by the flimsy stock ones. I don't have any real experience with coilovers so I can't comment on them but the RLCAs do help a lot. Probably not as much adjustment as coilovers but I like them pretty good. I just leave mine at stock height because I hate rearward rake. Just thought I'd throw in some more thoughts.

I was going to suggest what Rockinhorse said, I have MM coilovers up front and i have adjustable lower control arms in the rear with H&R SS springs.  the only complaint is if you don't go with coilovers in the rear you can't go overly stiff on the front springs, but for a daily/street car my setup is proving to be plenty.

One other option for the rear is to run a set of weight jacker control arms. Before I did the IRS swap and MM coilovers, I was running SVE weight jackers and Eibach Pro Kit springs. The weight jackers have an adjustable height spring perch. I had my car sitting like this with them, and they could have gone plenty lower. (front was on coilovers)

riosnake1.jpg

Coilovers are best but just thought I'd throw another option out there.

One other option for the rear is to run a set of weight jacker control arms. Before I did the IRS swap and MM coilovers, I was running SVE weight jackers and Eibach Pro Kit springs. The weight jackers have an adjustable height spring perch. I had my car sitting like this with them, and they could have gone plenty lower. (front was on coilovers)

riosnake1.jpg

Coilovers are best but just thought I'd throw another option out there.

The picture you attached is PERFECT and exactly what I'm looking for lol.

@95riosnake Can you pm me? I tried to PM you but you can't accept anymore. Lol.

as you can see, the sky is the limit for suspension stuff, or i guess rather the ground is the limit...so i'm not even going to put in more options for you.

i will however say that i will never go back to 17s on my car.  after stepping up to 18s then 19/20s i have now.  i will never go back to such a small 17.  just doesn't fill the fender out IMO.

• Supporting Member
as you can see, the sky is the limit for suspension stuff, or i guess rather the ground is the limit...so i'm not even going to put in more options for you.

i will however say that i will never go back to 17s on my car. after stepping up to 18s then 19/20s i have now. i will never go back to such a small 17. just doesn't fill the fender out IMO.

I agree with an sn 17's are borderline and 18's are a happy medium. Takes the right combo to pull off 19+