Det_Riot

How useful is an oil temp gauge?

Need some opinions here. To fill out the rest of my gauge cluster holes, I need one more gauge. Currently I've got speedo, tach, water temp, oil pressure, fuel level, and fuel pressure. The gauges I'm considering (the only ones left) are oil temp, vacuum/boost, trans temp, and voltometer. 

IMO, trans temp and voltometer aren't very applicable to my car use. Its a stick car that this weekend driven and taken to the strip. If it dies its either the alternator, or the battery. Not overly concerned with that. Trans temp I feel like is more applicable to an auto trans. 

So the ones I'm between are oil temperature and vacuum/boost. Now I'm not entirely sure if either of them are overly useful to me at this time but when I boost my car I know that i'll need a vacuum/boost gauge. What is the benefit of having an oil temp gauge?

Out of the 4 you mentioned I think the voltmeter would be the most beneficial.  It would at least let you know if there is a problem with the charging system before it's completely dead on the side of the road. Have you thought about a wideband?

Already got one. Just not in a traditional circular gauge. Idk my view with volt is that either I'm stranded in a parking lot or off on a side street, I'm still stranded. Lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Already got one. Just not in a traditional circular gauge. Idk my view with volt is that either I'm stranded in a parking lot or off on a side street, I'm still stranded. Lol

I am with him I would do an AFR. Pretty sure there are a few that offer voltage as well.

See above. Already have a wideband

Voltmeter,  The difference between being stranded in a not so forgiving spot or being able to limp the car to a more feasible spot to be safely fixed or towed. One you notice a problem youll still have time to make a decision on what to do or where to pull over. No gauge no warning park it were she dies. No brainer there.

you should get a pyrometer just because it's fun to say.

i also vote voltmeter.  cars come with them stock for a reason man.  if you plan to ever boost the car, then a vacuum/boost is a no brainer.  could also help with realizing vacuum leaks.

After thinking about it for a while today, Volt gauge prevails. Cheapest investment for the time being as there aren't any sending units that I have to buy with it.