As most of you knew, last season I had a digital cluster. As cool as it was, it wasn't very practical for the track and that's the direction I've been taking my car recently. So it was time to start on my gauge cluster version 3.0....or 4.0....yaah let's go with 4.0

I thought about getting a florida5.0 cluster or the like but nothing was overly appealing to me. That and I couldn't justify spending $150 on a bezel that I can make myself. So that's exactly what I did! I decided that I was going to go the route of the Phantom II Gauges. Got a smoking deal on a set so one hurdle was out of the way. After that hurdle, the layout was the next. I wanted to do something that I had never seen done before, and with the small amount of real estate that we have in our cluster, my options were limited. I thought about doing something on the lines of what kbcobravert did but didn't want to seem like I was copying it with the same gauges and everything.

So here were my initial "renderings"

12603938684_5f2e06f73b_b.jpg

12623782203_5eb6af5e5b_b.jpg

12625068843_40f03ddd1f_b.jpg

I love the sequential tach look that racepak's have and that is what I want to try to accomplish with the string of LED's. Ultimately the decision was to go with the third and final option. It looks the best to me, leaves me the most real estate, and flows better than the other two. Skipped showing a couple steps but all I did was rough out on a piece of cardboard where the gauges would go.

13114649465_470d162905_b.jpg

Once that was done and cut, I knew I would have to build up the rest of the cluster to hold in the gauges. To make sure I had backing, without sticking, I wrapped this piece of wood with saran wrap and sprayed it down with some pam. Wasn't sure if this is kosher or not but screw it, it's just a gauge cluster

13114740863_95cb6369be_b.jpg

Here's everything laid out and ready to begin.

13114623845_caa1619d8d_b.jpg

After talking to my buddy who painted my car, he recommended using this 3M 4240 product. Not positive how it was going to turn out but I can say that so far it's been working great!

13114908084_76dde17a2e_b.jpg

Here it is post application of the 4240. It firmed up in only a few hours, enough to cut into it. I'm sure it could have been stronger if I let it set for more but hell, ain't no skin off my back.

13114620375_f72e378319_b.jpg

13114614565_ce13d34337_b.jpg

Feels good when you can finally see your vision coming together!

13114610605_fb19393c2b_b.jpg

When I was applying the 4240 I got a little happy as I figured thicker was better, So there was plenty of material for me to sand down. Nothing that an abrasion disc on my drill press couldn't fix.

13253348375_47cd317947_b.jpg

All sanded down and ready for some filler!

13449264704_96d81a8a72_b.jpg

13253326395_61950f3606_b.jpg

Post filler, holes not cleaned up yet. Still got to drill the holes for the shift light and sequential tach lights. The other hole you see, well you'll see what that will be used for shortly!

13438127603_bd2b53d8c2_b.jpg

I still need to figure out if I will be painting it, wrapping it, putting vinyl over it all. Still undecided. I'm sure I'll figure it out soon. Any suggestions?

Would any of these sizes cover the area? I'd trim one of these to size/cut holes and bond it over the top surface of your cluster face. That way you don't need to worry about the filler shrinking, bubbles in vinyl, etc. I think it would look pretty clean :2thumb:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_seeall_9?rh=k%3Acarbon_fiber_superstore%2Ci%3Amisc&keywords=carbon_fiber_superstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1396267772

Thanks guys!

Would any of these sizes cover the area? I'd trim one of these to size/cut holes and bond it over the top surface of your cluster face. That way you don't need to worry about the filler shrinking, bubbles in vinyl, etc. I think it would look pretty clean :2thumb:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_seeall_9?rh=k%3Acarbon_fiber_superstore%2Ci%3Amisc&keywords=carbon_fiber_superstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1396267772

Im with Dan a solid piece of carbon or aluminum backing plate with carbon over it...ll You saw how I did mine,

Yes I did! I initially was thinking about just doing the plate then thought about how much easier it would be to mount on the OEM cluster lol I'm split on if the cf would go with anything else in my interior so there's my only hold up right now

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

If you want to go with a laser cut piece of polystyrene and have a template you can send me, let me know :2thumb: I can hook you up broseph

I may be taking you up on that offer

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Cool let me know, it'll be white but you can paint it whatever color you want. It'll give you a nice smooth surface and will add some rigidity to your cluster also. I'll look around and see if we have any black material laying around but 99% of the time we use white and paint it whatever color it needs to be. It sands and accepts paint really well.

Cool let me know, it'll be white but you can paint it whatever color you want. It'll give you a nice smooth surface and will add some rigidity to your cluster also. I'll look around and see if we have any black material laying around but 99% of the time we use white and paint it whatever color it needs to be. It sands and accepts paint really well.

Cool beans! I'll see what I can whip up and then I'd probably end up wrapping it in something or another ;)

Oh shit I guess I forgot about this thread, must of made another thread. Here yah go @Lazer_Red

I tried making it work with the OEM bezel and it didn't end up coming together the way I wanted. Wasn't smooth enough when I ended up wrapping it in vinyl so I decided to cut it into an aluminum panel instead.

post-6-14143316565871_thumb.jpg

post-6-14143318013308_thumb.jpg

post-6-14143318460537_thumb.jpg

Looks pretty cool bro. I would have put the tach to right like the speedo and put the other gauges in the middle. Two on top and one centered in the middle. Then I would have put a mini shift light under one of the upper center gauges. Not saying yours is wrong or anything. How do you like having the after market gauges instead of the factory gauges?

Kris

Looks pretty cool bro. I would have put the tach to right like the speedo and put the other gauges in the middle. Two on top and one centered in the middle. Then I would have put a mini shift light under one of the upper center gauges. Not saying yours is wrong or anything. How do you like having the after market gauges instead of the factory gauges?

Kris

Thanks man! Yeah I thought about it but I dug the asymmetrical aspect of it. Plus it works best with the other plans I have for it!

Thanks for reminding me of another project in my mental to-do list, or should I say, novel. Ugh, lol.

Looks great though, cheers for sticking with it through so many versions!

Thanks danny boy! Lol chalk it upppp

Not yet! Those are included in phase two, along with shift light and wideband

this is exactly what has put this project on the back burner for me.  i have to figure out how i want to keep those lights after going with aftermarket gauges.

this is exactly what has put this project on the back burner for me. i have to figure out how i want to keep those lights after going with aftermarket gauges.

I've got an idea or two but it's going to end up being put off till this winter.