Schiffy

new head unit questions?

Ok, so the Mach460 rear amps are fudged up. makes a horrific sound that i have to crank the radio up super loud to overcome. I love music, but not one to care much about a "sweet system". i'm thinking of pulling out the entire mach 460 system and just putting in some normal aftermarket speakers and head unit. my question is, right now i have the am/fm cassette unit, and under that i've got a CD player(which has never worked) what do you folks usually do with the CD player spot? do ya'll slap one of those cubbies in it, or do you convert to a double din frame and buy the double din player? i'm very technology/wiring stooooooooopid, so i'll have to have Matt or Jason or somebody help me, but i'm trying to figure out what i need to start acquiring to get it all fixed up. you guys got any suggestions/tips/pics that can help me out?

If it were me, i would put in that small cubbie thing, or try to find some gauges to put down there.  I don't care too much for the double din, and that would be more work.  probably not a whole ton more, but just somethign to stink aboot

i usually put the heater control panel there and throw a dd in for the rest of the spots :)

lol, but yea i'd just put a slot there for storage too. a good spot to put your "electronics for dummies" book :P 

I have a touch screen in the DD and honestly I don't like it much.  Seems like you have to push 3 different areas of the screen to open a menu to switch anything on there while driving and it seems like just to change the radio station or song it takes a lot longer with my eyes off the road then I like.

I need to get a lockpick for the truck so I can watch this everywhere I go!!!

Lol have to! Pretty much certain my copy is still in the disc drive of the mustang lol.

If I remember correctly isn't the 460 system integrated pretty heavily into the main harness to the car? So pulling it all out may cause more harm than good. Can't you just replace the amps and upgrade the head unit?

it is in the main dash hrns but pulling it out is no big deal.

This.  It is a subharness in the dash harness.  Comes right out and leaves you with the regular speaker, power, ground, illum. etc wires for the new head unit.

• Supporting Member

Isn't there a correct harness that allows you to utilize the factory wiring and 460 setup? If so, much easier just swapping head units and amps I would think, considering your a non audiophile.

its not hard at all to integrate into the mach system although in the past few years its amazing how many battery draining issues I have tracked down to a bad mach amp.  ITs the first thing I check now and because of that I am not sure I would recommend it.  The were good stock stereos 20 yrs ago but not worth leaving you stranded somewhere with a dead battery.