GearGambler

Redline hood struts!

I had a bad experience a while ago where a gust of wind grabbed my hood while it was open and nearly smashed my windshield.  If it wasn't for the wiper stoping the hood, it would have been a much more horrible experience, especially with a convertible!  Luckily I was left with just a gouge in my hood to remind me that hood props hold the hood up, but don't prevent it from going further!  

At Mustang Week, Redline offers some good discounts - you can't find them at a better price.  I picked up a set for my 94 GT and for my 03 Cobra.  I decided to practice on the 94 first.  The instructions that come with the struts are in depth, with pictures.  That made the install go VERY well.  One more thing to mention is the correct tools.  It did call for a #11 index drill bit - which I borrowed from a friend.  

post-384-0-51529600-1437593626_thumb.jpg

Pay no attention to the beyond dirty engine bay - that gets addressed this winter when the engine swap happens!  

only thing I changed was I replaced the rivits with rivnuts so I could remove the mounts since I was going to be painting the hood.  Interesting they don't keep it from going up too far.  Makes me wonder how hard it would be to make something for that....

How was the fit?  Any clearance problems?  You still have the stock hood correct?

i have an aftermarket cobra style hood, and the ball mount of the strut up top hits on the "frame" when the hood is closed.  I also had to move the drivers side mount farther forward than what they called for, as it hit on some parts it wasnt supposed to

How was the fit?  Any clearance problems?  You still have the stock hood correct?

Stock hood.  Perfect fit for me.  No clearance issues.  

These things work great - pop the hood, lift up a bit, let go and it raises the hood and slowly comes to a stop at full extension.  

i have them on all my cars even the trunks they are a great company and great guys i had 2 of my cars in their booth before they were the first thing i put on my 12

they look sharp no doubt. i have the stainless ones. mine do rub just a tad and put a small nick on each one. not sure if it's because aftermarket hood or not. still way better than the prop rod 

That was one of those things that I never thought was a big deal, and the the first time I saw it rise up on its own I suddenly wondered why I had not done them sooner...  I just have the black and they clear everything on my VIS hood no problem.

I put on a set about a month ago and love not having the prop rod in the way. After doing this I decided to pull of the hood insulation. Fortunately, the paint under the insulation is I'm great shape.

He said prop rods, reading comprehension broseph. lol

I think you need some coffee ;)

Haha holy hell. Yes, yes I do

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk