Blackmage

I need new headlight housings

My aftermarket lenses are starting to haze over a little, they are clear lenses, with a pretty dark smoke on them.  HID's in non projector housings.  I love the way the housings themselves look, but HATE the light output.  You could be 5 feet in front of them and I would not see you.  Even with standard halogens they are pretty dark.    

Here's where i get kinda picky :-/   I dont really care for the look of the projectors in the housings, they just dont look right to me.  Maybe I havnt seen good examples, but i'd really like a two piece design, blacked out housing, with a subtle as possible projector maybe?   Thoughts?

current

IMG_9055_zpsc1e7e8d6.jpg

656E9C36-3D08-4DD4-ADDB-B2044E4F4B22_zps

possibly looking at these, blacking out the housing, and retrofitting projectors, but Im not sold on them 

http://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Crystal-Headlights-Chrome-Housing/dp/B00VSI8OYM/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Ford%7C54&Model=Mustang%7C688&Year=1996%7C1996&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=3&vehicleType=automotive

4164fJsAgxL.jpg

I you want moar light then why not choose clear lenses, do the projector retrofit, and paint the inside of the housing black.  I plan on doing a set in this way or close depending on how much of the reflective surface I decide to leave.

I you want moar light then why not choose clear lenses, do the projector retrofit, and paint the inside of the housing black.  I plan on doing a set in this way or close depending on how much of the reflective surface I decide to leave.

i guess part of it is im not sure how the projectors work 100%, and i dont want them to stick out like a sore thumb inside the housings.  

Buy standard clear cobra housings.  Goto "theretrofitsource.com" , order bi-xenon projectors and all the fixings.  Take lenses apart and paint everything black, including the side part of the lenses.  You get the effect of a smoked lens without sacrificing the light output.

Mine aren't a retrofit however that's the paint method I used and that Bryan used. You can see where I painted the border of the lenses on the one part of the corner light in the picture.  I did the same thing on the headlight lens however it's hard to see from the picture.  If you don't paint that part of the lens, you'll get a "white" border effect and you'll lose the all black look.  Hard to explain via text and don't have pic's of what I'm referring to.  

Untitled_HDR2Medium.jpg

I was thinking of getting another set of headlights like mine and redoing them just have nice new lenses again. But say if you want something bright and don't want to do the retrofit I would get these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEPO-94-98-FORD-MUSTANG-EURO-STYLE-BLACK-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-DOT-SAE-95-96-97-/401001336967?fits=Year%3A1998%7CMake%3AFord%7CModel%3AMustang&hash=item5d5d8ad087&vxp=mtr

Or these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEPO-94-98-FORD-MUSTANG-EURO-DIAMOND-BLACK-HEADLIGHT-CORNER-SIGNAL-LIGHT-/311449701910?fits=Year%3A1998%7CMake%3AFord%7CModel%3AMustang&hash=item4883d94e16&vxp=mtr

I am thinking of doing these and put my projectors into them just to have a different style.

dont get me wrong, i would love to do the projectors (retrofits even) and a nice HID set to go with them, but I just dont think the big bubble in the housing, looks odd to me with our cars.  So id like to hide it as much as possible, which i think steve and Bryan did.  So i'll probably go that route, with a soft tint on the headlights, and then black out the housing and outside ring of the retro fit.

dont get me wrong, i would love to do the projectors (retrofits even) and a nice HID set to go with them, but I just dont think the big bubble in the housing, looks odd to me with our cars.  So id like to hide it as much as possible, which i think steve and Bryan did.  So i'll probably go that route, with a soft tint on the headlights, and then black out the housing and outside ring of the retro fit.

The ones I posted are retrofits with the basic shroud.  Retrofit source has a lot of different shrouds that are less bubble.

The ones I posted are retrofits with the basic shroud.  Retrofit source has a lot of different shrouds that are less bubble.

do you happen to know which model you went with from TRS?  @Steve-Oh and I had talked about this long ago, but I cant find our convo anymore on it :-/

Cant remember if it was the mini H1, or the mini D2S that fit our assemblies

do you happen to know which model you went with from TRS?  @Steve-Oh and I had talked about this long ago, but I cant find our convo anymore on it :-/

Cant remember if it was the mini H1, or the mini D2S that fit our assemblies

Mini H1. It's the most "plug and play" for sn95 headlight housings. 

@Blackmage I have a contact for you over at TheRetroFitSource.  I'll send you his email and he'll hook you up with everything you'll need for what you're trying to accomplish.  You'll want to make sure you get a glass projector as they did have a plastic lens at one point, obviously at a better price point.  Also the clear lens, like the one's in my Jeep, are going to give you that nice clean cutoff line.  They also can now etch the glass lenses with whatever logo you want, which may seem kind of lame but it can be a nice little touch.

Here is my buddy's Jeep we did:

i-zL6N4Cx-X2.jpg

i-fWpwDp5-L.jpg