Det_Riot

Carbon Fiber Repair

Cutting to the chase, I found a splitter for the wagon that I want but right at the corner of the bumper, it's split in half (read, carbon fiber splitter is in two pieces). Has anyone ever tackled carbon fiber repair to this degree? I'd imagine if I line it up and build it up with fiberglass mat it'd be pretty sturdy, sturdy enough for a splitter. But is there anyway that I could sand it down to the CF on the exterior, lay down a patch piece and try to blend it in?

i always thought the proper way to do this was to drill 1/4" holes on both sides and then use zip ties in an X pattern.  I see it all the time, so it must be the correct way of doing things.

• Haha 1

It should be very forgiving.  Chances are you would be good to put a good length connecting the two and soak it good.  Probably some epoxy fill.

Carbon fiber works very similar to fiberglass.  I've seen huge holes cut in the hull of boats patched back up ;)   I am sure this will be fine.

Your idea is pretty much how i would tackle the repair.  

Use some super glue to glue the split together, then sand and epoxy some CF or Fiberglass matt on the backside. Start with a small piece thats about 4” wide and centered over the crack, then 6”,8”,10” and you should have sufficient strength from there. 

As for the exterior, your pretty much SOL’d on putting a patch piece on and it blending it in. CF is hard to blend together and you’ll always have a ridge at the edges.  Your best bet is to leave it as is, or carve a small trough and put some thickened and black dye’d epoxy in it. Then sand smooth and clear over it. 

Thanks for the quick responses guys! Going to have a little time to prep before I start messing with it as the guys probably making a trip to MI next month and I'll just grab it from him then. 

Here's the pics:

38199290714_abcee88c75_o.jpg

38028391365_294cdc0276_o.jpg

38028391125_6d4af667e9_o.jpg

38028390475_f420281527_o.jpg

38914409031_f70cd460de_o.jpg

38028390355_0345826264_o.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackmage said:

:-/  pictures aint wurking for me. 

1 hour ago, Psychorugby said:

me either

36 minutes ago, ThomasW said:

Or me

how bout now?

After seeing the photos, surfacd quality is never going to be all that great.  Your best bet is to repair it on the backside, then sand the exterior surface and put an entirely new piece of CF over the entire thing. You’ll then have to add a few layers of resin to build up a thick coat to sand level and smootj.  Then you can clear coat it for UV protection 

27 minutes ago, ThomasW said:

After seeing the photos, surfacd quality is never going to be all that great.  Your best bet is to repair it on the backside, then sand the exterior surface and put an entirely new piece of CF over the entire thing. You’ll then have to add a few layers of resin to build up a thick coat to sand level and smootj.  Then you can clear coat it for UV protection 

Cool, that was the plan I was going for after talking to one of my buddies who dabbles with CF. TBH I never even thought about putting a whole new layer of carbon over top as if it were a piece you were only trying to do a CF overlay on. Thanks!