Brian

Gauges? Post what you have and why.

Just like the title says... I'm interested to see what everyone is using for gauges (IE Boost, A/F, Water Temp, etc etc etc) and why you picked them over others.

(DO NOT post pictures of your OEM gauge cluster)

I need to start thinking about what to run on my car besides a boost & A/F gauges.

Edited by Brian

Autometers

-mechanical oil

-Mechanical water temperature

-Electrical fuel level

-Pro comp wideband

Reason why I went with the two mechanical gauges was because I was slightly hesitant of the electrical reading fluctuating. I got a deal with the wideband so that's why I went with that over other brands. Fuel level was because my gas gauge stopped reading. I gotta dig into it more and see if its my fuel sender.

46c20656-d303-5c24.jpg

46c20656-d319-2ce8.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Please don't get a bajillion gauges like the ricers do. Keep it limited to only what you need.

And i'd get black face gauges for your car Brian.

Should be known by now that I am only interested in tasteful mods :)

Why black faced? The Cobra clusters are white. I was thinking white faced with blue LED back-lighting to match.

Nope, Cobra clusters have always been white:

IMG_2777.jpg

My cluster has the blue LED mod with white faced gauges and my A/C will be the same plus my radio that I'm swapping to will have blue lighting. Makes sense to me.

Bryan, how is the visibility with your A/F gauge being so far to the right? Do you find yourself not watching it or is it still easy to know what its at?

The position of the clock pod is good enough to where you can pick it up in your peripheral vision. Plus i angle it a little at me when i drive :)

det, is that all the tighter the clock pod fits to the dash or do you just have yours loose so you can angle it as you said you do?? ive never paid to much attention to those before so id never noticed.

Mines pretty loose. I actually need to tighten it up some bc it likes to shake while driving

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I am new here but I think a few here will recognize me. I wanted to be able to actually see everything that was going on in the motor after a HCI swap and also didn't want 38 gauge pods screwed on all around. I find a nice spot in the middle that while it did cost a little more then the traditional gauges allows me to add as many sensors as I wanted to the 3 displays I added. I went with PLX designs multi-gauges which is a OLED display that allows multiple sensors to be hooked up too and expanded on. With the 3 displays I can now see the fuel/oil pressure, the water/oil temp, AFR and Vac. I also didn't like the look of any of the gauge pods out so I made my own. I had some requests to show the build pics so they are on the bottom of the page. Be happy to answer any questions if anyone has any.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2395420/1994-ford-mustang-gt-coupe-2d/page-8

For those that don't know me I worked as an audio/security installer for a number of years and do all my own stereo work. Not a great motor guy and still learning there but if you need audio/security help I am that dude.

I run oil pressure and water temp electric guages in the auto meter pod that replaces the clock in the middle of the dash. . They are the silver pro-comp full sweep by auto-meter, and I borrowed the wires from the stock guages to make it work. Someone else posted the pic of the same pod, lol.

Guest mustang_gtchick

I have switches for the water pump, intercooler pump, fans, nit. arm, and bottle heater

IMG_20120602_125320.jpg

IMG_20120602_125332.jpg

The blue button is the trans brake and the orange one is the over drive

IMG_20120109_120700.jpg

boost, shift light, fuel pressure, air/fuel

Electronic Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure and Water Temp. Nothing too exciting, just the basics. These are Autometer Lunars. They were the best match for the color of the factory gauges at the time (They don't make them anymore though). Also I'm not about mechanical gauges and the potential for an oil leak in the car.

15089672-1.jpg

Yes, I know it's crooked

Here's the old setup on the a-pillar. I had the Autometers hooked up to the dimmer switch so It wasn't so bad at times but I get headaches/migraines pretty often so having these bright and shiny in my face at night time could only be tolerated for so long. Also another thing was that the one bezel pod was empty and wouldn't be able to be filled with the same style gauge.

DSCF4887copy.jpg

Edit: now that I think about it I'm going to have to ditch the current set-up all together due to the D-Din sat nav unit... I literally just realized that lol. I guess my only option is clock pod :frown-new:

Edited by Steve-Oh

Where did you buy the instrument gauge pod and how do you like it? I've heard a lot of bad reviews that the fit is horrible.

I like the sleeper look it provides and was thinking about running that with a clock pod.

Where did you buy the instrument gauge pod and how do you like it? I've heard a lot of bad reviews that the fit is horrible.

I like the sleeper look it provides and was thinking about running that with a clock pod.

I had always heard that same thing not to mentiont that single screw by the lights drives me batty. Its funny how much I hate it it honestly.. I almost made my own similar to that one and it really would not be all that hard.

I made that panel from a small piece of sheet metal, I just cut a couple holes for the gauges and mounted the switches on the sides. There are 4 allen head bolts on the corners that have just an oversized washer and nut on the back to grip the frame of the opening in the dash.

Completely forget! The fitment of mine isn't bad i don't think. Obviously the stock one fits much better but i don't think you'll ever get one that fits perfect.

Completely forget! The fitment of mine isn't bad i don't think. Obviously the stock one fits much better but i don't think you'll ever get one that fits perfect.

Only if Speed of Sound would make one.... :( Thanks for the feedback. I have been thinking about going that route.

I'm a control freak, which subsequently makes me a gauge freak. Mechanical nitrous pressure, water temperature, fuel pressure, oil pressure, and vacuum. I also run a 5" tach, and a voltage gauge. I'd post pictures, but they are all on photobucket, and photobucket has been uncool lately. I always run a mechanical gauge whenever possible. I don't trust the electrics.

Kurt

6ceb804c-ee82-3ff5.jpg

Umm on left... wideband and boost gauge.. Dash right, electronic mini tach, external shift light... in the radio spot, oil pressure, fuel pressure, trans temp..

I run an automatic with a turbo setup so at the strip I try to keep tabs best as possible, especially trans temps..

The gauges flash bright red if they go out of my "comfort" zone lol..

Sent from my iPhone

Reverse el-glo overlay on the dash that's blue at night.

Left gauge = tranny temp since it's an auto

Right gauge = used to be that stupid A/F gauge before I realized what a POS it was. I have an Innovate Motorsports MTX-L AFR kit sitting in a box here in my office waiting to be installed when I have the time.

gaugesinstalled3.jpg

Autometer from JEGS. Then I painted it to match for the parchment interior.

I wanted to keep it understated looking.

Do you have a link or part number? I will go check.

EDIT:

This?

Edited by Brian

Do you have a link or part number? I will go check.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/autometer-instrument-gauge-bezel-0104.html?utm_content=plaautometer-instrument-gauge-bezel-0104&utm_campaign=FPReplacementV1-cpc&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&AMID=autometer-instrument-gauge-bezel-0104-NoFitment&adtype=pla&kw=

That's one of them, you can probably get model #'s, etc. from that link.

Keep in mind there are 2 versions. With and without rear defroster button. So if you have rear defroster make sure you get the one with the pre-cut opening :)

How's the fitment? I've always heard really bad things about these and I'm not sure if this is the same one.

Fitment is directly related to someones patience IMO.

The wires for the gauges I taped down inside the bezel to keep them out of the way. I took my time bending the little aluminum brackets that it came with. The screws line up PERFECTLY and I can remove it to swap a gauge in just a few minutes time.

I also removed the rubber bottom of the stock piece and attached it to the Autometer replacement. So it's a complete stock feel to it with just the 2 pods magically there!

The gauges also do not stick out at all.

Now the Innovate wideband is a ton bigger and I'm going to have clearance issues with it but I expect and understood that going in. It would be a lot easier to just put oil temp or some other random gauge in the right side which is currently empty and then just a pillar but that's the lazy way out.

Standard gauges though it's an easy fit.