Det_Riot

Drag Racing Rear Suspension

Looking for all the experienced drag racers out there to give me their opinions on what the best rear suspension set up it. Right now i'm at a crossroads with how I want to address my rear suspension. I currently have Eibach Prokits cut one coil, tokico shocks, and HPM megabyte jr upper and lower control arms.

There's two options that I'm looking at going.

Option 1:

Keeping the upper and lower control arms, picking up a rear coilover kit, and running them in stock location

Option 2:

Keeping upper control arms, picking up some MM weightjacker lower control arms, getting the new TeamZ rear springs, rock it out

With either option I'm probably getting some new rear shocks as mine are bullitt spec tokicos. Is there an advantage of running one over the other? Looking for any useful opinions!

YOU wont get a better LCA for the money then the HPM MBJ's ...set on 165% over stock it gives you a good basis. I personally wouldnt wate your money on the coilover kit for the rear.

Keep the rear suspension, get some better springs, either cut stocks, eibach drags, bullitt springs ect and try that. Then start to work on better front weight transfer, ie stranges, tokico's 4cyl fox springs ect.....

Thats what I would do. 1.62 with a stock clutch and a hurt motor...

My best setup to date as far as springs was V8 fox rear springs cut 1/2 coil and 4 cyl front fox spurns cut 1/2 coil. Although, my current setup, stock rears cut 1 coil and uncut 4 cyl front fox springs are working pretty damn well

Sent from my MILESTONE3 using Tapatalk 2

Good control arms some strange 10 ways out back and a stock cut spring and you should be golden in the rear . If the fronts easing up pretty good right now just leave it , common practice is to only change 1 thing at a time .

Currently 305/30/18 MT et street ii's. Probably be rocking those for a while, pick up another set once I wear through these (down to wear bars almost) I don't really plan on picking up another set of wheels/tires for track duty so that's what I'm rocking

It is really difficult to have a street suspension that does well at the drag strip. its also a known fact that a great drag suspension will sacrifice some comfortable driving. every person is different, so the perception / tolerance will vary. I can tell you this though - I had baseline suspension uppers, UMI double adjustable lowers, strange 10 way adjustable shocks all around, and motorsport B springs. the springs were the one thing that was wrong in the combo for a drag setup. they needed to be drag springs. the b springs along with a setting of 5 or 6 on t he shocks were great on the street. drag springs would have sucked. the b springs sucked at the track even with the shocks set to 1 in the front (loose) and 10 in the back to absorb the hit. best I could get is a 1.6 60 ft time.

I guess the moral of the story is this - if you dont mind driving a drag car on the street, build the suspension for drag racing. If you enjoy driving the car then build a street suspension, and find a cheap foxbody and build a budget drag car - but keep it on the track cause it will suck to drive it on the street.

I had the full baseline rear set up. Lowers/ relocated uppers. Anti Roll Bar. (Always hooked up). Stock v8 springs. Lakewood 50/50s. Wasn't bad at all. Little noisy. But nothing too bad.

Front was 4 Banger springs with Lakewood 90/10s. Manuel steering with big and little's.

Front like to come up a bit but I ddint mind it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I had the full baseline rear set up. Lowers/ relocated uppers. Anti Roll Bar. (Always hooked up). Stock v8 springs. Lakewood 50/50s. Wasn't bad at all. Little noisy. But nothing too bad.

Front was 4 Banger springs with Lakewood 90/10s. Manuel steering with big and little's.

Front like to come up a bit but I ddint mind it.

This is a GREAT Drag racing setup! the anti roll bar will keep the rear squarely planted. the full baseline setup is tried and true. I forgot about removing the front sway bar - that definitely helps loosen the front suspension so that the weight transfer works correctly. The stock springs and 50/50s in the back with the 4 cyl springs and 90/10s in the front just work great on the launch.

Now, I'm going to point out why this isn't that street friendly.

1. You have front / rear bias when it comes to shocks and springs. this completely throws off the corner carving / handling aspect. The front is really loose and the rear is tight. its a mismatch.

2. without the front sway bar, you get a really squishy feeling if you have to corner hard

3. the rear desnt sway at all due to the anti roll setup - thats's what it is there for!

4. the small tires in the front do not plant a lot of tread on the ground. If you need to panic stop, you'll wish there was 20 inches of tread there, not 10.

5. The tight suspension in the back will lead to a somewhat bumpy ride

As I stated in an email before - its all up to the driver's perception. I live in the mountains and hit twisting roads all the time. My street / strip setup sucked for that. also the roads aren't that great, so bumpy also sucked. If you just want to drive it in straight lines all over the place, and you live in a city where all the roads are flat and paved, that may work!

I didnt have any problems. Even drove it a 100 miles a day for work. And I live up a long huge mtn road too. Then again I didnt drive like an asshole hauling ass everywhere either.

As said before. To each his own.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I will be installing an ARB this winter. I am however going to be smart enough to keep it disconnected while not at the track. Seen too many stories about bending ARBs from hitting bumps. As for the shock recommendations above. If the car never saw street time, I'd advocate Lakewood 90/10s and 50/50s. But since we KNOW that this is not the case with this car... I couldn't and wouldn't recommend anything other than. Strange 10 ways. Not that there isn't anything better... Just not better in the price range.

Edited by The Mk2

Thanks for all the advice guys! So I'm thinking here's my new plan:

Keep uppers and lowers

get the new teamZ spring

strange 10 ways for the front and rear.

Now the big question, will MM sleeves fit over strange 10-way struts or will I have to get a different sleeve?

i have 14-150 on the front of mine they sit nice and low and transfer when i loosen the struts up the rear i have 12 -150 coilovers with qa1 shocks i'm not sure if i like them as i have had better luck with other rear srpings and getting the car to hook , i do like the team z uppers as i have them on my coupe and they seem to be a quality part. no track times with the coupe yet , i have only went 11.3s with my 95 metco lowers and doubel adj uppers on it .

i have 14-150 on the front of mine they sit nice and low and transfer when i loosen the struts up the rear i have 12 -150 coilovers with qa1 shocks i'm not sure if i like them as i have had better luck with other rear srpings and getting the car to hook , i do like the team z uppers as i have them on my coupe and they seem to be a quality part. no track times with the coupe yet , i have only went 11.3s with my 95 metco lowers and doubel adj uppers on it .

old bump, on your rear set up, are they stock location or axle mounted?

on a side note @opal95, is it possible to put in relocated coilovers and keep your spare tire well or does that need to get cut out?

Im sure it can be done I know it be really close to interfering with the spare tire well as I cut the floor out just past the well to get my bar in. Youll also have to weld both the relocation bar to the frame rails and also the new coil over mounts to the axle housing. Youll want to disassemble the rear and have it in a jig to make sure you don't warp it while welding.

I will say any of the set ups ive seen the floor has been cut out and the rear had been narrowed

yeah they are in stock location ,you can keep the spare tire well with the other style but it gets tricky look up customer pics on team z site the blue lx in mini tub pics , my set is from auto fab race cars if you want to check it out