Schiffy

Rearend internals and wheel size

Ok, so i've got a post about the the rearend in the suspension forum, but now to ask about the guts of the rearend... I'm making right at 300rwhp (this engine made that in it's previous car, so give or take a few is how i'm basing it) Is it really a necessary thing to upgrade to 31 spline carrier and differential right now, or should i just spend the money to rebuild my current 28 spline diff and get some hardened axles? we'll start at 300, but as with most people, over time i plan to make more and more power. the question is, should i upgrade it now, or use that money elsewhere and come back to the rearend when it really needs it? with that question comes this one. with only 300ish rwhp, I've looked at some 15X10 and 15X8 wheels. i like the thought of the wider rim for the wider tire and larger contact area, but is it a necessary expense? granted the difference in price is like $40 for both, so it's not a huge issue price wise. the car currently has 4.10 gears as well, though i'm contemplating jumping to 4.30's or 4.56's. could a 15X10 with a sticky tire be to much for 300rwhp and cause me to bog? whatcha think @SniveTroll @duffdaddy

Unless your going to be doing high RPM dumps on radials like I am, you don't really need 31/33 spline rear end, spend the money elsewhere and come back to the rear end once your making the power or doing something that requires it. 

I'm not sure if I'm going to explain this right, but keep raising your launch RPM until it stops bogging, I bog is I launch low, launch higher and I don't bog. 

I'm the kind of guy that thinks, if I'm in there and I'm going to spend money, I might as well do it right the first time. I needed a new diff so if all I needed was axles to make the 31 spline happen, why not. I guess it all comes down to budget though. I'd probably wait to get in there until you have to.

And yes, I have an 03/04 Cobra diff and 31 spline Yukon axles. Stock length axles, but I had to shim my caliper bracket because it wouldn't fit with my Cobra rotors. It was a huge pain in the butt. PLUS, they didn't machine the hub center correctly and my wheels get stuck. I hope to get a nice set of wheels (3-piece, fingers crossed) by the middle of this year and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go buy new axles first so I don't screw up the wheels.... I'll be going with Moser or Strange.

If you're even considering to make more than 300whp you might as well build the rear end now while its coming apart. Do it once do it right. Make it bulletproof and you don't have to worry about it no matter what you do

i was going to do this when i had the axles out for longer studs.  ended up just putting it back together because i couldn't justify the extra thousand dollars for stuff that wasn't broken.  it's certainly on my list of upgrades to do eventually but i'm going to wait.

i say stick with a 28-spline for now until you either need it or the right deal comes along.

i got all my parts at great prices. however, the labor i paid for was worth every penny. 

i do 99% of my own work with the exception of machining, and welding, and the welding i either have Matt or my neighbor Mark do for me, so it's still backyard mechanic style.

@Schiffy send them down here. I'm having a helluva time finding a welder to rent.

Haha... My neighbor mark does a lot of welding. I wish I could post pics of the cage he built in his Jeep. He got out of mustangs a few years back and got into building rock crawling jeeps. The jeep cage was intense. Welds were beautiful.

I wouldn't worry about it for now.  Unless you are dumping the clutch on sticky tires, you probably won't break anything.  I went with hardened 28 splines when I did my axle a long time ago because at the time they didn't make 31 spline axles at the time.  I have to take it apart to change the pinion seal and locker soon.  Axles never gave me any trouble after multiple launches on slicks.

Kurt