kbscobravert

Custom A/C lines, 94/95

I didn't want to much up the Teal Whale build thread so I thought I would dump my pics here.  This is my answer to the jacked up A/C line routing in the 94/95 cars.

I bought a bunch of springloc hose ends, a bunch of hose and then the GM compression line fittings.  Once you start in on it, all this stuff is simple universal fittings and line.  The hardest part was the line filter. 

All my lines after I mocked them and ready to have them crimped.  The crimp tool is a hydraulic hand held tool with different dies.  I just wished I had one at my disposal instead of having to take them to a hose shop.  All though, they did have to braze some fittings for me at the same time

20120530_223943.jpg

http://www.airproair.com/pdf/illustrated/Fittings-new.pdf

90* fittings coming out of the evaporator and go to the fenderwell opening

20120604_132957.jpg

Moved receiver/dryer into the fenderwell

20120530_192632.jpg

New lines into the back of the compressor.  Photo taken during mockup.  Notice the sharpie witness marks on the crimp barrel and the hose.  Once you crimp that barrel down on the barb, you are stuck with the alignment.  Mark them both.
20120530_192610-1.jpg

Pressure switch spliced in.  Yes, I cheated, I bought some used lines off of ebay or some such....cheap and gave me parts to use.
20120604_111822.jpg

20120604_111812.jpg

You can see one of the pressure fittings and where the lines comes from the condenser back into the fenderwell

Liquid line with orfice tube running to condenser.
20120604_132759.jpg

The block cost me $34.
20120526_124015.jpg

20120526_124003.jpg

The line attached is just a spare piece I scavenged to use to match the threads.  It will be replaced with a 45* hose end crimped
20120526_123935.jpg

Modifications to the compressor block.  Cut down one tube stem and open up the port for the alignment tube in the bolt hole.
20120530_185601.jpg

Driver side and compressor
20120604_132827.jpg

Other angles
20120604_132927.jpg

Finished product
20120604_133041.jpg

I think you might be the mustang plumbing/wiring guru @kbscobravert! I'm gonna move this to the "How To Articles" section so it's easy to find in the future, hope you don't mind.

Looks 10000x better than the crap they gave us from the factory for sure.

Whats the rough cost of the components and work involved to create the lines?

Really neat project.  I'd love to do something like this to get some A/C back in my car.

• Moderators

Thankfully, I have a completely empty engine bay and blank slate.  This could look really cool sheathed in braided stainless to match the rest of my hoses.

THANK YOU!!! B-)

Sure.  :)

Holy cow! You win the internet! This is awesomeeeeee

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Well, I didn't want to side track your thread.

Dammit, one more thing for me to figure out how to tuck!  Thanks!

That is how I felt when I opened the engine bay of a 100% factory Cobra.....ALL OF IT NEEDS TO GO...and put a turbo over there.

I think you might be the mustang plumbing/wiring guru @kbscobravert! I'm gonna move this to the "How To Articles" section so it's easy to find in the future, hope you don't mind.

Looks 10000x better than the crap they gave us from the factory for sure.

I don't mind at all.  And thanks for the compliment.  I am a savant of sorts that is for sure.  Is it mustang plumbing/wiring?  Who knows.  You should see how I built the entire EFI harness from the ECU through the firewall to the components from SCRATCH and even included military aircraft style barrel connecters at the firewall to pass it all through.

Whats the rough cost of the components and work involved to create the lines?

Really neat project.  I'd love to do something like this to get some A/C back in my car.

The A/C was kind of a requirement for me if I wanted to keep the wife happy.  Now that it is apart, she just wants it to run again...a/c or not.

My cost of this was kind of skewed.  I went with a brand new compressor, brand new receiver/dryer, and bought way too many fittings (the store was an hour plus drive and didn't want to have to go back because I needed a different angle hose end) and new GM condenser.  I would say all in, I am in it for around $450-600. 

Thankfully, I have a completely empty engine bay and blank slate.  This could look really cool sheathed in braided stainless to match the rest of my hoses.

I used a black expandable nylon and the heat sleeve.

What did you do for a condenser?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that is a whole-nother story.  I wanted to use a GM condenser because their fin design is so much better than what Ford was putting out.  That meant I needed to adapt my hose ends to it.  I made a few junk yard trips, gathered up a few line ends (just cut them off) and then.....give me a few minutes to find that write up and bring it over.

Link to the A/C block

http://www.acsource.com/compressorhoseblocks.aspx

http://www.acsource.com/hoseblockverticaloring.aspx

The new compressor set me back $200 and the condenser was $120 and the receiver dryer was $25. 

I moved the switch near the condensor by cutting out the section of steel tube which has the threaded opening and welding two steel barb fittings then splicing it into the rubber hose.

20120604_111822.jpg

I used a unused hose end to the compressor with a section of hose on it to fill the compressor (acted as a funnel).  Compressor got about 5oz and the accumulator got a little over 3oz.  I cranked it at least 20 times.  All the fittings are tight and the lines are protected from abrasion and secured.

Due to my condenser being from a '99 Camaro, the factory Ford spring lock stuff would not work there.  I had to make my own by combining Ford and GM stuff from salvage yard and the parts house.  Even then I had to drill out, cut and get creative to find a solution from hose to component.

Take a look at how good the welded ends for the condenser came out.  It took a little thought but I am confident I could have used any style of condenser/accumulator/etc and made it all work just the same.

Welded end before
20120530_213450.jpg

20120530_214143.jpg
after
20120604_112541.jpg

Welded end from 3 pieces
before
20120530_222859.jpg
after
20120604_111818.jpg

I don't mind at all.  And thanks for the compliment.  I am a savant of sorts that is for sure.  Is it mustang plumbing/wiring?  Who knows.  You should see how I built the entire EFI harness from the ECU through the firewall to the components from SCRATCH and even included military aircraft style barrel connecters at the firewall to pass it all through.

Oh I have seen, lol. I've read your entire build thread over on Corral, very jealous of the rewiring you've done, and how sanitary and organized everything is. The next motor I build will be a dart block with a blimp load of boost thrown at it, and it will be running a crank trigger/coil packs setup. I'm sure I'll be revisiting a lot of your build when the time comes. Really glad you joined up here, you're a great asset to have for this stuff. :2thumb:

Those costs aren't that bad at all.  I'm in the same boat as far as probably having to try to retro-fit some kind of A/C to keep my fiance happy.  Just not a lot of room with the bigger radiator and the turbo right now.  Though I guess I shouldn't complain given how you've found a way to stuff as much as you have into your engine bay :)

Will definitely keep this route in the back of my head when the time comes.  Thanks for the info!

Those costs aren't that bad at all.  I'm in the same boat as far as probably having to try to retro-fit some kind of A/C to keep my fiance happy.  Just not a lot of room with the bigger radiator and the turbo right now.  Though I guess I shouldn't complain given how you've found a way to stuff as much as you have into your engine bay :)

Will definitely keep this route in the back of my head when the time comes.  Thanks for the info!

And that is the old engine bay before I got real stupid and wanted an air to water intercooler where the entire radiator is.  Here is the layout now.

20140408_120414.jpg

20140408_120400.jpg

20140408_120350.jpg

20140408_120443.jpg

The real challenge is to get a condenser UNDER this radiator!

20140408_120507.jpg

holy mess in the wheel well lol

Hahaha, be nice.  I went through painstaking efforts to HIDE the harnesses and with the amount of electronics, gauges, etc it wasn't easy.  Day of the dyno, luckily I had the fenders off, I had to run new power wire to the MAP sensor.  Then had to add in the remote starter pump button.  Then had to move the vacuum pump to the rear from the front.  Etc.  Etc.  Trust me, it got cleaned up again when i was doing the A/C.  Now it is ALL removed so I can wire in the Holley EFI and revamp my EFI methods.  Never ending.

Hahaha, be nice.  I went through painstaking efforts to HIDE the harnesses and with the amount of electronics, gauges, etc it wasn't easy.  Day of the dyno, luckily I had the fenders off, I had to run new power wire to the MAP sensor.  Then had to add in the remote starter pump button.  Then had to move the vacuum pump to the rear from the front.  Etc.  Etc.  Trust me, it got cleaned up again when i was doing the A/C.  Now it is ALL removed so I can wire in the Holley EFI and revamp my EFI methods.  Never ending.

Haha i'm sure it is all cleaned, up.  ive been in those stages of doing stuff, where things just look like a complete mess, but eventually get back to em :)   I tried to hide wires, and got sick of doing it after i moved just a few wires around, i give ya props on your engine bay, 1000x cleaner than mine will ever be ;)

any chance you could help sort those ends out with me to help me do this?  I have my own car and a parts car I can source parts from to cut/hack what I need/where I need it and have a crimper I am fairly sure I can get different teeth for to do different end types...

any chance you could help sort those ends out with me to help me do this?  I have my own car and a parts car I can source parts from to cut/hack what I need/where I need it and have a crimper I am fairly sure I can get different teeth for to do different end types...

What condenser do you want to use?  Factory Ford Mustang (any year)? 

About the only factory Ford I used was the liquid line with the filter in it.  It was only $19-22 new from autoparts store.  Get a new one to use.  I also used a section of line that held the 4-wire switch (high pressure and temp).  Then brazed it to the crimp nipples. 

like I said I have access to 94/95 parts on my parts car so it would be great if we could use those parts but I understand this will cost a few bucks to make happen so what ever is the easiest really...