SniveTroll

"Murphy's Law" A 92 Bronco story. sold

well i am getting ready to PCS back to VA Beach.. I  wanted to tow the 96 back to VA and have something to DD. I love my acura but i want an SUV/Truck again.     Being as so i'm a cheap ass and like Fords, I found a 92 bronco for 1k. It has a 351W at 226k miles. It needs love but it started and moved on the day i picked it up. first things first i checked the trans fluid. The fluid looked ok for its age. I then attempted to drive it 40 miles on the highway in second gear. yes, you read that right. it only had second gear. I had someone following me. Since, It moved and it didnt overheat,  i was babying it just to get to base. WELL, that failed.     it broke down on the Garden State Parkway with no forward gears but it had reverse. $272 and a bunch of F-Bombs, i got it to base. Then i figured it was a 1k paper weight.

c7ny.jpg

7gig5.jpg

I was going to junk the fucker. Straight up i was P.O.'d.     I took a week off from tinkering and even looking at it. i sold my 66 Mustang coupe and a set of Weld Prostars on craigslist. all early 90's ford bronco, E and F series used the E4OD. some of the powerstrokes did too but something in them are weaker.  I searched craigslist for a E4OD from a 4x4 gas truck. i scored one for $250 from a kid out of a F-250. i opened the Tran pan to find out that it has a Transgo shift kit and: its clean. 

zq1td.jpg

szle.jpg

s8e7.jpg

in comparison to the other trans pan when i removed it; this one looks almost new as its been remanned. the one off the bronco Electronic solenoid pack was brown. this one is white. 

if i have any engine problems i'll have the head shop once over the heads. i have a set of SVO 351W rockers ive had for years. it has a measly 8.9 compression ratio. i'm not happy about that so i may bump the compression a little having the heads shaved. if i get it frosty enough and trans lives i'll get a turbo put on. i like torque. 

Oh ok. Still a cool ride.

When will you be back?

July. 

That would be a lot of fun with a turbo, lol.

Roger that. I'm sure I'll see you at some point or another. Jenros got shut down then moved to P-Town and from what I hear its slowly dying off so there aren't as many places to hang out unless it's a scheduled show/event.

omg man don't ever junk that lol!!

those things are rare as hell around here that aren't completely rotted away. i LOVE those bronco's. even the ones that are complete junk go for WAAY more than a grand. i'm jealous  :(

Very cool truck for $1k, glad to see you didn't give up on it. I love that body style bronco. There's a guy down the street with one that looks about the same, very clean too, and has a mild lift. I can't count how many times I've been walking my dog and considered knocking on the door to see if he wants to sell it lol.

Its stock height. It does have quarter rust over the rear wheel wells. Ill address that in VA. Im adressing the trans and every safety issue to pass it. I've been doing all repairs on a budget.... i may get those heads. As long as i can use these 351 svo 1.7 rockers 6amy9aba.jpg

I currently have:

tailgate panel

Rear window regulator

4x4 puter and other small stuff.

Today i purchased:

-Felpro 1 piece rear main seal

-Stock stall aftermarket torque converter

-Filter/gasket

-4 gallons of trans fluid

-Front pump seal

This should adress the actual swap. I still have to pick up a trans cooker and trans gauge.

Still needs:

*Coolant flush (rust fudge erupted)

*brake love

*all safety aspects

After trans blew out i got discouraged. I wanted dude head on a pike.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

omg man don't ever junk that lol!!

those things are rare as hell around here that aren't completely rotted away. i LOVE those bronco's. even the ones that are complete junk go for WAAY more than a grand. i'm jealous :(

theres a bunch in jersey. There is some too far gone.

ok so today i removed the broke dick trans. i didnt open the pan further but the last torque converter was built in 2005.  it had a semi-new 3 piece rear main seal. the block looked as it was primed with colored dots. this leads me to believe this thing was rebuilt at sometime.. it had the O.G. exhaust. i will say this thing needs new exhaust. im contemplating making a mustang-esque exhaust to relief outboard before the rear axle. i think an hpipe at trans cross member will suffice. i will not add any type of longtube headers. summit shorties eventually will compliment it. once i get trans fixed and knick nack shit done, i will work on the suspension. new shocks, tires and diff overhauls will do wonders. 

Tonight i got the newish trans in and out a couple times. Then, it wouldnt start nor shift p-d. It was stuck in 1-2. I used the old trans shift accumulator valve body. It shifted buttery. The newish trans had galling on the wall ba9uqu6e.jpg. Now it shifts buttery and no shift kit yet..

Lastnights update:

i purchased a trans cooler. low and behold it had a  Factory Ford made by Long. Picture27.jpg

i decided to use both coolers in tandem with the factory in radiator cooler. the radiator cooler will heat up the fluid in the winter and the other 2 during the summer months. I generically ziptied the new one in until i get some sheetmetal to hard mount the new cooler. 

71DYSCl0cxL._SX425_.jpg

i plan to use the bronco as a tow rig primarily. E4ODs are known to overheat. The bucket officially moves again. it has soft 1-2 shift. i'll address that in time. 

Today i had a couple hours to put in on the bucket. 1 it has an intermittent no start issue. I read starter relay to nuetral switch and it has continuity. I screwdriver jump starter the solenoid. This leads me to believe starter relay or ignition switch in column. I did change ignition lock cylinder. I now have to use keys to start it again.

Using the base hobby shop and tools i tried to drill out the exhaust manifold studs on the jy mani. buge7amy.jpg no dice. I need new bits to finish.

just ordered for pickup at advanced auto:

BWD starter solenoid

xact spark plug set

front brake pads. 

49.25 spent. 

so far almost 1500 total invested. 

next will be rotors and inspection after i install everything. 

I wrestled with broken manifold and bolts. I had to use mapp gas torch, pb blaster and some muscles. numu7uny.jpg

Then one piece came out. u5unupu9.jpg

Whats wrong in this picture? I cant quite figure it out :shrugs: so after both pieces were removed with persuasion, i now have a broken dipstick tube. It was quite rusted. I removed 2 spark plugs. They were champions and hella gapped. tegyjy7u.jpg

I have autolite 24s going their place. They will be gapped to .042.

Looks like a real fun time. I had to do some similar work a few months ago on a truck, though the manifold was not cracked in half. That's something else.

I came across this little tidbit a while ago, and I always think of it when someone mentions penetrating oil. Of course your job is already done but maybe it can make things easier for you, or someone else, in the future. I have not verified these claims, but I'm going to try someday. I've been a Pb guy myself for many years and it does okay. Still have some left and haven't had to work with many rusty fasteners lately.

http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/link/5952/penetrating-oil-review

Oh the joys of rusted fasteners.

I remember way back when I did LCA's on my car, I ended up having to cut both ends of the LCA to axle bolts off with a torch, then slightly bend the axle brackets so I could pry the control arms out with a huge pry bar. Those bolts were fused solid to the metal sleeve inside the stock rubber bushing. I think to this day those have been the worst bolts I've dealt with. Took about 6-7 hours to get the two stock LCA's off lol. My car originally lived in Michigan, and was not a stranger to salt.

I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with cast manifolds yet, and judging by your experience, hopefully I never will lol.

Ok so tonight was fun. This thing obviously has been rode hard and put away wet. I got the manifold in.

u9umyqyt.jpg

Spectre dipsticktube is useless but it is keeping oil off the ground.

Low and behold a broken stud. Shocker... yzenyjuz.jpg

a6a8y6ez.jpg

Hey elder spark plugs... eww. I still need a 351w dipstick tube.

e3a8epuq.jpg

I also forgot to mention i have a collector leak and changed all wires. Why does all spark plug wires too short or too long.

Previous owners trimmed the wheel well panel to make spark plug changes easier.

Can ya blame the guy tho? hah

Yesterday and today have been eventful. I have found:

-Neutral safety switch w updated pigtail. Im stocking up on these.

-Front corner lamp. Mine cracked.

-4X4 actuator. Im refurbishing as many as i can.

-b&m trans pan for 22$

zubadyna.jpg

So everyone loves updates. Today my buddy opened up the rear diff to change axle seals for me. it has 3.55 gears. The right axle was self lathed with the elder bearing. It cut a nice groove. degy4ape.jpg
So i ordered a right axle off amazon. Usa forged axle. 107 bucks. This is in comparison to 147 up anywhere else. The diff seems to be an open diff type with exciter ring. That looked real nice. The gear pattern looked pretty for being over 20 years old. ydyryzy2.jpgunusa5u4.jpg

Those gears look damn good for their age :2thumb:

I saw a super nice black Bronco of the same generation last night coming home, had a slight lift and a tastefully bigger wheel/tire setup, maybe like 31's. Damn it looked good, I have a feeling this thread is going to eventually have me looking at a Bronco for a DD lol. I wonder if a Bronco with a Coyote swap could get decent mpg?