WildWillyWalker

Swapping a Terminator Drivetrain (Exc. IRS) into a Mach 1

were you able to get the car up to operating temp?   nvm, just re-read previous post.

Also, just thinking out loud here.  Leakdown test showed a leaky exhaust valve.  wheres the oil coming from then? just for shits i would put a teaspoon of oil into cylinder 5 and re-run the compression test to see if rings are bad in it as well.

sean was worried about ring sealing issues as well. I did a lot of research on SVTP last night and it would seem that the 03 was common for cracks running from the spark plug hole out to the valve seats. I cant be certain on the oil leak but I would suspect that maybe the cracks run deep into the head and that's where the leak is from. At this point it would appear this customer is going to have it towed to my dealer and have me fix it there so he can use his credit card. we are a cash only operation. down side is its going to cost him thousands more to have a Ford dealer do the repairs. As for oil in the cylinder to boost compression. just from using a flash light it looks like there is plenty of oil in that cylinder already with out me adding any :(

That really sucks for the guy... I would be contacting the seller of the motor asap if I was him. The eBay ad states "Complete drivetrain, pulled from a 2003 Mustang Cobra with only 52k miles in perfect running condition!" and I would have to say that what you have discovered is not a motor in "perfect running condition"

@Sleeperstang1994 have you guys thought about using this to not limit yourselves to just cash?

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader

i forgot about that. It's a good idea, but this customer would need s very high credit limit for something like this.

So yeah, I'm extremely bummed about this and it really sucks for the guy. We let the car get to operating temperature Sunday after the initial start Saturday. The smoke wasn't as thick but it was definitely blue. We wanted to take it around the block real quick but we made it 100ft before it started to overheat. There is just a bunch wrong with this engine. At this time it looks like we are out of the equation though since it sounds like he wants to take it to a dealership. We could handle getting it fixed, however with this being a side job, it would definitely take a long time. And this car is his daily....

The engine does look good in there though

post-11-0-04018400-1422924220_thumb.jpg

The stupid hood don't latch with the latch adjusted as high as it will go either....

post-11-0-58665700-1422924295_thumb.jpg

Dang car made a mess. -.-

post-11-0-99318200-1422924373_thumb.jpg

Definitely sounds good though. Bet that Spec puck clutch made it hard to backup. :D

trim.2C0A2CFC-F8BA-4B33-8F16-8A31B7CCED40.MOV

Geez a puck clutch on a daily? Whew he's more man than I am. Also a little bummed that the Mach hood is gone, does it not clear the blower snout?

It really is a shame things went sour, you guys did a hell of a job though. Please tell me he's at least contacted the seller about it by now. There's no way the engine wasn't burning oil before it was pulled from the original car. By the time this guy gets the car where it needs to be (especially with taking it to the dealer), he could have probably just sold his Mach, bought a bolt on terminator and painted it azure blue and had cash to spare.

Geez a puck clutch on a daily? Whew he's more man than I am. Also a little bummed that the Mach hood is gone, does it not clear the blower about?

It really is a shame things went sour, you guys did a hell of a job though. Please tell me he's at least contacted the seller about it by now. There's no way the engine wasn't burning oil before it was pulled from the original car. By the time this guy gets the car where it needs to be (especially with taking it to the dealer), he could have probably just sold his Mach, bought a bolt on terminator and painted it azure blue and had cash to spare.

i spoke with him today and he said the seller wont return his phone calls. That situation is out of my hands at this point. At this point it would seem that the car is going to be coming into the dealership I work at so I can get the job done a little bit quicker. Also the Mach1 hood and all the shaker parts are now in our possession. Customer was going for a full on cobra conversion. This is why the shaker and all of the side stripes have been deleted. Also notice the new cobra fender emblems and "SVT" on the deck lid :D

@Steve@CJPP I was told to look into a "square" reader? to be able to run credit cards. this is going to be an option soon... nudge nudge :)

Man that is really shitty, so much for the perfect ebay feedback the seller was so proud of in his ebay listing. There's no way I'd sell someone a hurt motor without full disclosure, that's just plain wrong.

I don't see how he could not have known that I was no good. The car did not over heat at an idle. but the second we gave it any sort of throttle it just blew coolant everywhere. you don't have to be a master technician to know that is not a good deal. Its a shame this happened, however with the over all condition the engine and parts come to us in originally I can hardly say im surprise at this point. Just disappointed. I wanted to see this car prowling around town just as much as the owner. not only could we say we did the swap but its driving promotion for our business. Bad situation :(

Man that was not the outcome I was expecting, but I guess it's not over yet. That is a real bummer about the engine after all that work. But don't let it get you down too much as it's not your fault and you guys did a great job with the swap. Though it really shouldn't be needed, especially when the seller of the engine claims it to be in good working order, perhaps from now on with jobs like this an engine test stand would be useful. Maybe not to start it as that would be more elaborate, but at the very least to turn it over for compression and leak down tests prior to installing it. A simple metal frame to keep it sturdy and a way to bump the starter would do. Just a thought.

I really like the bread trick too. I've removed them with grease, but that can get messy. Definitely using some good bread next time, lol.

i spoke with him today and he said the seller wont return his phone calls. That situation is out of my hands at this point. At this point it would seem that the car is going to be coming into the dealership I work at so I can get the job done a little bit quicker. Also the Mach1 hood and all the shaker parts are now in our possession. Customer was going for a full on cobra conversion. This is why the shaker and all of the side stripes have been deleted. Also notice the new cobra fender emblems and "SVT" on the deck lid :D

@Steve@CJPP I was told to look into a "square" reader? to be able to run credit cards. this is going to be an option soon... nudge nudge :)

Square is a viable option as well.  I just figured the PayPal one if you guys had a PayPal account set up for the side business.  Square was actually the first to market with this technology if I recall right so you can't go wrong with them.

The Cobra gods were angry from putting the badges on.

Did he ever ask for a compression check or anything before buying?

no he never asked for any technical information. the seller sent a video of the engine running. unfortunately who knows when the video was from at this point

So what shape is the mach 1 assembly? couldnt your put the cobra stuff onto that?

the mach 1 parts are in excellent shape. unfortunately for the customer part of the agreed upon payment was the old parts are now mine to swap into my car. This was a great deal for all involved. He got an extremely discounted rate for the install with the understanding that all old and removed parts were ours to keep and use or sell.

Square is a viable option as well.  I just figured the PayPal one if you guys had a PayPal account set up for the side business.  Square was actually the first to market with this technology if I recall right so you can't go wrong with them.

im a tard... I didn't click on the dang link you posted. I ordered the reader through paypal last night :) thanks :P

no he never asked for any technical information. the seller sent a video of the engine running. unfortunately who knows when the video was from at this point

the mach 1 parts are in excellent shape. unfortunately for the customer part of the agreed upon payment was the old parts are now mine to swap into my car. This was a great deal for all involved. He got an extremely discounted rate for the install with the understanding that all old and removed parts were ours to keep and use or sell.

im a tard... I didn't click on the dang link you posted. I ordered the reader through paypal last night :) thanks :P

lol good deal, glad I could help in some way as I will be using your services in the near future :)

any updates on this @WildWillyWalker @Sleeperstang1994

After having trouble getting a hold of this guy (Some girl said she took her phone back and we can't access his Facebook account....), we finally got the money he owed us for stuff we had to buy for his car. He claims he took the car to DGR and had head gaskets replaced and then had it tuned to 720hp. Its done and it's out of our hands so whatever.

then had it tuned to 720hp

tommy.gif

Not saying it's impossible, lol...but I have a buddy with a built/cammed Aluminator in his 03, topped with a 2.3 Whipple and tuned for E85 and he hasn't broken the 700 mark yet. If this car made 720, I have a feeling it won't be making that number for long lol. Either way, glad to hear you got your pay finally. Sorry this didn't turn out the way it should have.

tommy.gif

Not saying it's impossible, lol...but I have a buddy with a built/cammed Aluminator in his 03, topped with a 2.3 Whipple and tuned for E85 and he hasn't broken the 700 mark yet. If this car made 720, I have a feeling it won't be making that number for long lol. Either way, glad to hear you got your pay finally. Sorry this didn't turn out the way it should have.

Oop. Now we are told he didn't have head gaskets done but he had someone else do a compression test and it was fine and apparently we cracked his radiator cap so that's why it over heated. Also, he says it only blows on defrost....

Oop. Now we are told he didn't have head gaskets done but he had someone else do a compression test and it was fine and apparently we cracked his radiator cap so that's why it over heated. Also, he says it only blows on defrost....

lol the plot thickens!

Haha, the Tommy Lee and bullshit button pic are spot on.  Sounds fishy.  Unfortunate that this is how it's turned out, but at this point I'd just be glad to not be involved with the guy anymore. 

Lol, yeah. It had a tune on it already from Kurgan and apparently the kid used the SCT handheld tuner and plugged some stuff in and thinks it's tuned. Josh found this out after the kid brought it to Josh's Ford dealership and it kept stalling on him. The handheld can't account for the Kenne Bell BAP or Diablo Mafia.... Basically, the tune is WAY off compared to what it should be. It need taken to be tuned anyway since it's running more boost due to the Metco lower crankshaft pulley.

So basically, the car is quickly being turned into a hot mess at the hands of someone trying to take shortcuts.

Spends $10k+ on motor/trans, trades Mach motor and trans, spends even more money on top of that in extra parts/repairs...

Time to tune the car... a "close enough" tune with a SCT handheld tuner.

smh.